LFG

mmoman101
Cannon Fodder

LFG

Post by mmoman101 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Hello everyone I am looking for a group of people to play D&D with. Most of my experience is old school with basic D&D, AD&D, and 2.0. I have the books for 3.5 and have made one character and done one session. I do not have anything for 4.0. I am not very familiar with the rules so people may have to be a bit more patient with me if the new rule sets are used.

I am looking for a different D&D experience than most people are used to. I am looking for a DM that is not dungeon heavy. Sessions that start "you enter a dungeon" and end "you have now cleared the dungeon" are not that interesting to me.
The campaigns that were always the most fun for me were filled with choice and character development. When I say character development I do not mean UBER items of PWNage. I mean character growth in decision making.

Things like;
Having a RP sessions before the campaign begins to RP you childhood. Where the DM and player make the back story together and things fit into the game world.
Where groups of people are together for a reason.
Where a player with a barbarian who charges in and is very successful doing so for 3 battles decides to charge into a bad situation anywhere. Barbarians do not know the hit dice of monsters and until they get hurt by a decision it is doubtful they would change their tactics. Therefore, the player should RP their character correctly and the DM should call BS when people do not RP correctly.
Where the goal is to have fun not kill the players or get the most powerful character ever.
Where the game world is huge and players can go off and explore.

I remember we used build entire game worlds I mean everything. Dungeons, cities, trade routes, climates, NPC with names the whole world. Then we would build a calendar of events. If players where in certain spot during a certain time they would be sucked into something. OF course there would be themes but they would be player directed.
Example: The part is walking down a road and come in contact with a small farming community. The farmers tell them they have been under siege by level appropriate monsters or bandits. They party has choice. They can siege and kill the farmers for gain. They can defend the farm. They can move on. If they move on they come in a town with a local tough man contest. The barbarian enter and tries to fight his fist fight his way to the top. People gamble and get drunk and the barbarian throws down for a few days. The road is already built. The town is already built. The players chose to take that road and certain scenarios are already there for them to choose from. There can be a main quest/story but I also want some freedom and diversity.

I guess I am saying I am looking for a campaign that has true RP elements. That is no more than 50% combat. Where what happens to my character defines who he is. Where his actions change on his experiences.

If there are still any people out there that play D&D like this please contact me or post here. I really miss this type of play.

I hope this is understandable. I wrote it in about 10 minutes.

Edit:
Also i would like to play one day every 2 weeks for about 3 hours or so starting at 7 or 8 PM central time. Monday-Thursday preferred.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Welcome, mmoman101.

You sound like my kind of roleplayer. Sadly, D&D these days seems to be all about the things you dislike (that's my impression, anyway). Many people have moved on to other RPG systems that better support your style of play.

But you never know... Hopefully someone here will prove me wrong.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

mmoman101
Cannon Fodder

Post by mmoman101 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:05 pm

Inherently this is why I have not played in a long time. I am willing to try other games, however, I have little to know experience with most of the new table top games. I have played car wars, ogre, top secret, marvel, boot hill, and a few other old school games that I cannot remember right now.

If there is anyone here that is planning a campaign that fills some of the criteria I listed please let me know. I am willing to try a new game under the right circumstances, especially if people are willing to have patience with me.