Sengoku Campaign - "Tamashii"

Stuart
Sergeant

Sengoku Campaign - "Tamashii"

Post by Stuart » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:14 am

The Setting

Sengoku is set in medieval japan (see later) - the game starts in the winter of 1542. Although I have used a historical setting and a number of historical personalities will make cameo appearances, the game is actually a fantasy mixture derived from the many chanbara movies and particularly the movies of Akira Kurosawa ("Ran", "Kagemusha" andof course "Seven Samurai").

The Sengoku Period or "warring-states" period, is a period of long civil war in the History of Japan that spans through the middle 15th to the early 17th centuries. It started in the late Muromachi period in 1467 with the Onin War (Onin no Ran 1467-1478), lasting through the entire Azuchi-Momoyama period, until final peace and order was achieved in 1615 of the Edo period.

The Game System
Goldrush games' "Sengoku" roleplaying system - available as pdf's at rpgnow.com and the two supplements available : "Shinobi, Shadows of Nihon" and "Shinobi Ryu". Detailed knowledge of the system is not needed and it may well be possible, given time and patience to lead new players (who do not own any of the source material) through character creation and the game mechanics (simple).

Start Date and Playing Time
Starting in May and running on a Saturday evening - 8 PM GMT to about 11:45 PM GMT. The day and time can be adjusted to suit players.

Characters Needed
4 to 6 players to run any of the "character classes" ("occupations" in Sengoku) listed but obviously Samurai, Shinobi and "traditional" rpg classes are especially useful.

An emphasis will be on roleplaying in an historical setting and of course, lightning swordsmanship and stealth :wink:

Case
Captain

Post by Case » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:48 am

Sounds awesome!

I am a big fan of Japanese cinema.

(Lonewolf and Cub, Sword of Doom, Kurosawa, Zatoichi, Samurai I - III even newer ones like Zatoichi, When the Last Sword Is Drawn, The Hidden Blade, and The Twilight Samura)

I would also be willing to get the pdf's.

My schedule would call for an earlier game or a Sunday GMT (I'm American EST)

Let me know.
Case

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:19 am

Obviously things are still on hold until the official release of Battlegrounds but I will post again as soon as I have more players. Sengoku seems to be a very little known system sadly ...

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:17 am

Very interesting Stuart ... wish I had time to join you in this too :D

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:23 am

I just thought i would say that i am definetly up for this game(as Stuart already knows :D ).

I am in the middle of reading the rulebook, which i purchased the other day.

GMT is fine for me, Saturday as well although i might prefer a week day.

Himo
Cannon Fodder

Post by Himo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:26 am

Sorry forgot to log in first before my post :oops: .

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi Stuart,

You get my vote for 'most prolific GM'!

Spyke

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:19 am

Thanks Spyke - comes of no longer being able to play rugby; any suggestions about needing something else to replace the "organised violence" that is now lacking will be hotly denied. :wink:

Ironic - you posting from Tokyo about a game set in 16 C Japan - if you get a chance, do visit Nijo Castle (a world heritage sight) in Kyoto - it was built in 1603 by Togukawa Ieyesu (the first Shogun of a united Japan) and boasts ssome superb "nightingale floors".

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:02 am

Cool to see people from FUM here too :D

Case
Captain

Post by Case » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:38 am

I visited Nijo Castle a few years ago, it was absolutely amazing!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:14 pm

Devinnight is hard at work making a whole battery of tokens for the campaign including samurai, shibo, priests, bushi and peasants ... the preliminary sketches are inspiring.

If you have not seen samples of his work or looked closely at the tokens he has donated to the beta versions please do so ! His artwork prompted me to firstly purchase Dundjinni and secondly think about a Sengoku campaign and thus ... this piece of software.

Animations too ? Cool !

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:33 pm

I might be able to put in a some time. 8 GMT is noon PST correct? If nothing else I would like to see Battlegrounds in action and also enjoy some samurai action. :)

I already have a samurai with archery as his specialty if you would let me play him. He is made at the chanbara level.

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:01 pm

Great ... any flexibility Case on your time frame ? I can chase some players at the FG boards nearer the time. I'll post some more pertinent details nearer the time; do think about "chasing" Devinnight at the fouruglymonsters site for a custom token (he will also do a portrait) ... the artwork he has sent so far for the batch of miscellaneous "orientals" looks wonderful.

Now all I need to do is complete that cc2 map of Nijo Castle !

Thanks for your interest !

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:29 pm

Sure, I have some flexibility. Can you give me a link, how much does he charge?

CC2 eh? Need any help?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:36 pm

Devinnight charges $2 per custom token. Deal of the century, IMO.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:38 pm

Where can I contact him? Is the token just a head shot?

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:39 pm

Also, are there any samples of his work I can gawk at? :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:45 pm

The token is a top-down view.

Here's a link to the link :D :
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=113

Be sure to tell Devin it's for BRPG, so he'll make it larger and more detailed.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:49 pm

Thanks! I actually saw that site recently through the CC2 mailing list. Yea, it is great stuff. I'll shoot devinnight an email.

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:30 am

http://www.fouruglymonsters.com/
Is the link to the fouruglymonsters site which was created by 4 Fantasy Grounds players ... if you follow the link to Products you can see what they have produced and get an e.mail address for Devin.

Samples of his stuff are in the beta download of Battlegrounds in the folder "Devlin's Tokens".

Looks like we have 3 players - I need to look at Case's tome frame and sort out a Saturday start time.... looking good.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:12 am

Stuart wrote:Samples of his stuff are in the beta download of Battlegrounds in the folder "Devlin's Tokens".
Oops! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I meant to label that "Devinnight's Tokens". The typo and shortening of the name is extremely unfortunate, since I was trying to get him some additional exposure. At least I got it right in the "Credits" text file. I've now fixed the folder name, so that it'll be correct in the final release.

Devinnight, if you're reading this, SORRY ABOUT THAT!

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:49 am

Thanks guys. I've commissioned two tokens to "test the water" as it were. If they are as good as I suspect they will be, I'll be commissioning many more.

FYI Heruca, one of the two commissions is Leng Chi for our GURPS Conan game at Helm's Deep.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:00 pm

RPMiller wrote:FYI Heruca, one of the two commissions is Leng Chi for our GURPS Conan game at Helm's Deep.
Cool! Once hexgrids are working well in BRPG, I'll order a token for my character, Kumal, and the GM can use screenshots from BRPG to do the map updates.

Edit: Sorry for the thread-jacking, Stuart. I was going to split the topic, but I'm not finding a good spot to do it.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:42 pm

To bring it back on topic, the other character is my samurai for this game. ;) :lol:

Stuart.

Post by Stuart. » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:56 pm

Good news on the token front from Devin - please get an order for custome tokens when you can as he is rather busy :wink:

I will try and post some more information about the general theme and flavor of the campaign in broad brush strokes next weekend. Depending on when BG is released I'd hope to start the campaign during the coming summer - in a couple of months.

I'll try and recruit a couple more players - I have three for Saturday ... 1 or 2 more would be nice if possible. I'll hit the FG boards later in the month :twisted: