iTabletop

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
heruca
Developer

iTabletop

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:21 pm

You guessed it. Yet another virtual tabletop program (#36, I believe :shock: ).

Edit:
Oops, forgot the link! :oops:
http://www.itabletop.com/

iTabletop is for Windows only, and is created using Microsoft.NET.

Feature highlights, as posted on the site:
  • * Face-to-face and voice-to-voice play using streaming video and web cams - making you feel like you're right there in the same room with your friends!
    * Chose specific players to "Go Private" during Text, Audio and Video communications. This allows Game Master's the ability to speak 'just to" the players that need to know information!
    * Load up an unlimited number of Maps, Character Sheets, Character Tokens, PDF handbooks and resources. All resources can be visible and useable to all players!
    * Game Master tools for revealing map areas and controlling game pacing!
    * Instant Messenger system to connect all your friends even while not playing!
    * Scheduling systems that send email reminders as game time nears!
    * Games can be played using Text Chat, Audio, and/or Video - you decide!
    * No need to maintain your own audio/video server - we maintain state-of-the-art servers connected to the Internet backbone!
    * Powerful online tools to find and join gaming groups - so you never have to wait to assemble a local group again!
    * Use 3 ways: 1) as a way to find and join groups of all-online players; 2) as a way to tie multiple locations together, for example one room with 3 players around a table, tied together with another room with 4 players around a table; and 3.) as a powerful GM tool for a completely local game!
From their forums:
...the iTabletop software has been under development for about a year, with 4 full-time developers - so it is a huge project.
It's in Open Beta, and you have to register on their site in order to download it. Presumably it will be a commercial VT once it's finalized.
Last edited by heruca on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Gonna make us go look for it, huh? :P

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:34 pm

Hmmm, the email address bounces back and I'm still waiting for the authorisation email for the site. Not doing much for themselves!

MB

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:43 pm

Yeah, I had exactly the same experience. After waiting a couple of days for an account activation email that would never come, I emailed the admin and had him manually activate my account.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Was the admin email the one under "contact us"? Because that's the one that's bouncing back and I can't see another.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:32 pm

james at trulyawesomegames dot com worked for me.

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Hmm, that was the one that bounced back, I'll try again.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:41 pm

This site just got a major facelift. The home page looks really nice now.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:07 pm

This things sounds like it might be great... but I'm not sure why there aren't any screen shots.

Anyone testing the beta?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:18 pm

I think there used to be 3 screenshots posted, but they seem to be gone after the site was redesigned.

tenkar
Soldier

Post by tenkar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:33 pm

Can't figure out what you can really do with it besides video and voice chat... seems to have potential but documentation is very lacking right now.

Endial
Cannon Fodder

iTabletop

Post by Endial » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Hey Guys I saw that you were talking about iTabletop here and decided to stop by, I'm Endial from the iTabletop forums and would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have about the software or if you wanted to try it out I could also arrange for a Demo Session to be ran so that you can see all the features of the software in action. Feel free to email me at Endial1988 dot gmail dot com. I hope to hear from you guys, and I hope you will give iTabletop a try.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Welcome, Endial.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi Endial :)

Welcome aboard

Dormouse
General

Re: iTabletop

Post by Dormouse » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:45 pm

heruca wrote:iTabletop is for Windows only
Seems only to work with ie too.

delarn
Cannon Fodder

Post by delarn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:02 pm

The only problem I have so far with it is that it won't work on win xp x64. And it's because microsoft won't buy the license of Flash for the x64platform. It's not their fault.

I am going on my XP x86 partition each time I need to play ;)

Simon

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:43 pm

Welcome, delarn.

Does Battlegrounds run OK on XP x64? Even if it does, I imagine you won't be able to deploy Flash-based units in it. But I'm curious about what happens if you try.

delarn
Cannon Fodder

Post by delarn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:12 pm

I loaded squiddy with no problem.

how do you load your flash system into your program ?
Last edited by delarn on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:19 pm

Some are included with the BRPG Demo.

1) Launch BRPG
2) Double-click somewhere on the map to get a popup menu.
3) Select either "Deploy Figure" or "Deploy Object"
4a) If you chose Figure, navigate to this directory in the panel that opens: "Flash, Animated".
4b) If you chose Object, navigate to this directory in the panel that opens: "Flash Objects, Experimental".

delarn
Cannon Fodder

Post by delarn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:28 pm

You'll have to tell James over iTabletop how you did that because it work here on x64 ;)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:32 pm

I didn't have to do much at all, beyond my choice of development environment. BRPG is authored in Director, which supports Flash because Director and Flash were both products made by Macromedia. Now both of those programs are owned by Adobe Systems.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:30 pm

Director comes with its own built-in Flash player; it doesn't rely on a system installation of Flash.

That also has drawbacks though, since Adobe let Director's version of Flash fall behind the current public version, meaning that it can't run the more modern Flash applications.

delarn
Cannon Fodder

Post by delarn » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Oh that brings back bad memories ... my first programmer job.

So you didn't use .net... So you cannot help James with that.

Simon

Nerfed2Hell
Sergeant

Post by Nerfed2Hell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:15 am

I just went and watched some of their tutorial videos and what I'm really curious about is cost and storage space.

They're setting up a server for the VTT, so that will cost them money. They're allowing users to upload private content to their servers, and that takes space. Will there be a recurring subscription cost to maintain your server space, or will there be an option to buy in permanently for one fixed cost? And how much space will be alotted to users? Will the storage space for uploaded content be upgradable so if I run out I could buy more? And will there be lower cost pricing for users who intent to play only and not require the same kind of upload requirements that DMs will?

Lastly, will there be any kind of restriction on uploaded content? The goal is to simulate as much as possible the real life table top experience... one of the things about sitting at the table with friends is book-sharing. I've purchased several pdfs from online stores, would uploading them to iTabletop's server get me in trouble since they are copyrighted works? What if I made them available to read but didn't check off the option to allow players to save or print them?

Overall, it looks neat, but cost is a biggie for me.

delarn
Cannon Fodder

Post by delarn » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:48 pm

Ask on their site ;)