Four Ugly Monsters rolls out new community VT website

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
Joshuha
Cannon Fodder

Four Ugly Monsters rolls out new community VT website

Post by Joshuha » Tue May 06, 2008 11:20 am

Four Ugly Monsters is rolling out our new site and the tons of new features have been implemented.

Our vision of the website is a true virtual tabletop community site. This basically means a site driven by the community and where the content and networking is in the hands of the community. We want to provide the tools for you to get together, game, and create.

Below is how we envision the features being used:
  • Forums. We are using fireboard forums for the best integration with Joomla.
  • Events. Users can submit events and if they want can make them "registered" events so they get a list of users interested. This is perfect for scheduling demos, one-shots, and kick off campaigns. The events can be made recurring so that as the event gets archived it will create another one.
  • Members list. Using the fields you fill out at registration we can create easy searchable lists of members. That means we make it easy to find players, GMs, or people by Virtual Tabletop used. We plan on adding more fields and lists at a later date as well for even better filtering.
  • Groups. Users have the ability to create ad-hoc groups in a variety of categories. These groups automatically get their own bulletin board and forum only visible to the group. The Gaming Group category also allows private groups that require the approval of the group manager to join. Again, perfect for your campaign group. Can also be used to form groups around your favorite RPG or other hobby.
  • Blogs. Users can submit blogs about anything. They all get put into a giant FUM blog but can also be browsed by user or the tags on the blogs. Use this to let us know what you are doing in the VT world, how your campaign is going, or your trials and tribulations with D&D, whatever!
  • Downloads. Users can upload files to the downloads section. So submit your maps, tokens, short stories, Fantasy Grounds modules, etc.
  • Articles. Those users who are interested will be made part of an author group. These users will be allowed to submit News, Reviews, Interviews, and Tutorials for others to read.
  • Web Links. Authors can also submit web links for approval that show up in the Community -> User Links section.
  • Chat. A new real time Flash based chat allows for users to get together and chat live. Users are allowed to create their own rooms (private if they want) and it supports audio and video as well.
  • Comments. Users can leave comments on articles, downloads, blogs, etc. so feedback is always available.
  • Community Builder. Everything above is tied into your master FUM profile that other users (and yourself) can see your forum posts, blogs, events registered, etc. Private Messages are accessible from anywhere.
Last edited by Joshuha on Tue May 06, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 06, 2008 12:47 pm

What a great feature list. I can see using almost every one of those. Good job on the site overhaul, and kudos for keeping the VT-agnostic approach.

After BRPG v1.3 is released. I expect to start running semi-regular Battlegrounds demos using the Events feature.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Oberoten
Cannon Fodder

Post by Oberoten » Wed May 14, 2008 3:32 am

It is a pretty cool place to hang out and with the community containing a lot of mappers from the DJ community as well it might not be a bad idea to drop by and see if there are any free maps lying around.

Heck, some of us/them even like taking a challenge to create that last little prop that might make your map complete.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:48 am

Sadly, the Four Ugly Monsters site will be shutting down at the end of April. :cry:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

markuwp
General

FUM site

Post by markuwp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:30 pm

heruca wrote:Sadly, the Four Ugly Monsters site will be shutting down at the end of April. :cry:
It is a shame that the FUM site is shutting down, but I am very grateful for the time it was there. Devin's tokens have been at the center of nearly every BRPG session I've ever done. Anyone who hasn't downloaded all of his great work should definitely do so before the site goes away.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Agreed; this is a real shame. This site is a good resource. BRPG would be a lot harder for me were it not for Devin's tokens. Glad I already have them, but now I have to make sure I back them up because I can't download them again.

Cisticola
Sergeant

Post by Cisticola » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Having been out of the loop for awhile because of illness, this comes as a real blow.......be really sad to see FUM go...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Welcome back, Cisticola. Missed ya around here.

devinnight
Sergeant

Post by devinnight » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:06 pm

I can't make any promises, but a couple guys are working on taking FUM back to a forums centric site. If that happens it will lose some of the bells and whistles but in return will become a lot more responsive and stable.

More to come.
-D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:15 pm

It would be great if FUM could be kept alive in some form or other. Hopefully existing forum threads won't be lost.

I'd rather have a bare-bones but speedy site than a feature-rich site which no one visits because performance is so poor (and in which most users use only a small fraction of all the features available, anyway).

devinnight
Sergeant

Post by devinnight » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 am

I feel the same way.
The two guys have successfully moved most if not all the posts to a PHPbb forums, which is much speedier and easier to navigate.
I'll post more as things solidify.
-D

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:18 am

Glad to see FUM is coming back :D

LOL just noticed on the End of Line post at FUM that I am not mentioned as being one of the FUM for a while. Understandable, since I haven't been really active in that time, just in the beginning on the old site :wink:

devinnight
Sergeant

Post by devinnight » Tue May 04, 2010 11:09 am

Sorry Kepli, didn't mean to overlook you. I'm not a great writer by any means and can only produce enough brain power to write down my most basic thoughts.

FUM is switching back to a more classic FUM.. it's going to be Forums centric with less bells and whistles.
The new forums are functional, but we plan on expanding the site slowly to add additional features.
You will need to reset your password to get logged in.
Thanks.
-D
http://fouruglymonsters.com/forums/index.php

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Excellent. Glad to see all the old forum posts weren't lost.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue May 04, 2010 11:44 pm

devinnight wrote:Sorry Kepli, didn't mean to overlook you. I'm not a great writer by any means and can only produce enough brain power to write down my most basic thoughts.

FUM is switching back to a more classic FUM.. it's going to be Forums centric with less bells and whistles.
The new forums are functional, but we plan on expanding the site slowly to add additional features.
You will need to reset your password to get logged in.
Thanks.
-D
http://fouruglymonsters.com/forums/index.php
Uh, well don't bother resetting your passwords :P
That's not the final site yet Devin - we were going to do a newer conversion.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu May 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Okay, site is up and running now. Feel free to log in at the new FUM forums. ;-)

Should look pretty familiar. Uses the same forum script as the BG site. Template and such will be gradually customized for FUM.

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sun May 09, 2010 8:01 am

Omnidon wrote:Okay, site is up and running now. Feel free to log in at the new FUM forums. ;-)

Should look pretty familiar. Uses the same forum script as the BG site. Template and such will be gradually customized for FUM.
Thanks for taking this on, Omnidon.

I can see the new FUM forums when I'm not logged in, but when I do log in I get a message saying that the board has no forums.

I also get a message saying that I'm not authorised when I try to view my profile, although the board does note that I'm logged in as Spyke.

Spyke

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue May 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Spyke wrote:I can see the new FUM forums when I'm not logged in, but when I do log in I get a message saying that the board has no forums.

I also get a message saying that I'm not authorised when I try to view my profile, although the board does note that I'm logged in as Spyke.

Spyke
Thanks for the report. This was caused by a corrupted user cache.

It's fixed now. ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:18 pm

The FUM site appears to be down again. :(

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:03 pm

I just noticed this myself :?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:20 pm

heruca wrote:The FUM site appears to be down again. :(
Devin gave some last minute notice saying that he was canceling his hosting account and that the site would be moved to dslater's account.

I haven't heard from dslater yet tho.
I have a backup of the forums as of yesterday, and Devin has the stuff from the old site, so nothing should have been lost.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks for the update. Good to know nothing was lost.