RPG Software for iPhones & iPod Touch

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
heruca
Developer

RPG Software for iPhones & iPod Touch

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:56 pm

Feel free to add links to iPhone or iPod Touch RPG apps, if you find any.

For now, I'll start it off with this one.

And here's a dice roller app.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:13 am

OK, this isn't strictly speaking for RPGs, but the videos speak for themselves. Too cool!
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:53 pm

Almost makes me wanna buy an Iphone ... almost :wink:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:12 am

Another cool iPhone app that rolls dice. ANY dice. An it only costs 99 cents.

Watch the video.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:18 am

And this dice rolling app is free, although it apparently only has the ability to roll five d6s.

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:51 am

Very cool - nice use of physics!
Hosting a F2F (face to face) D&D 4e game using BRPG 1.3c on Vista.

DannyM
Cannon Fodder

Post by DannyM » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:41 am

I will just say this. If BRPG were potted to the iPhone and had a dice roller. With access to stats and possibly online group play. It would be the BEEZ KNEEZ of portable rpg programs. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to port something like VASSAL to the iPhone through JAVA.

I know D&D is a deep game tons if deepness. But if there were just a battle grid on the iPhone it would be HUGE!!!

Food for thought.

-Danny M

PS I am a 3D artist as well as an illustrator and would love a chance to use those skills for a portable RPG if anyone already has one going on for the iPhone.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 am

Welcome, DannyM.

I don't know that I'd be interested in roleplaying via a phone, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what Apple has in store with the new tablet they're supposedly going to unveil later this month. If it runs OS X and allows you to install apps (in other words, if it's not a closed system like the iPhone), then perhaps BRPG could be used on it, which would be pretty cool.

DannyM
Cannon Fodder

Post by DannyM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:24 am

Thank you for the warm welcome,
Rumor has it they are unveiling the iTablet pc tmw actually. Rumor also has it that it will run on the iPhone os ( this is an unconfirmed yet weird rumor, let's hope it runs osx).

We will have to just wait and see.

Cheers,
-Danny M

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:01 pm

heruca wrote:If it runs OS X and allows you to install apps (in other words, if it's not a closed system like the iPhone), then perhaps BRPG could be used on it, which would be pretty cool.
It turns out that Apple's new iPad will run iPhone OS (not Mac OS X) and like the iPhone, is a closed system (though I imagine it'll be possible to jailbreak them eventually, if you want to install software that isn't sold through the AppStore).

DannyM
Cannon Fodder

Post by DannyM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Sadly the iPad won't support flash and JAVA as well as osx does. I was hoping they would have gone with osx. There is a way through jailbroken devices to run java and also author java apps. I do t know how to do it myself. But I've seen a few links around the web about it.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:38 pm

DannyM wrote:Sadly the iPad won't support flash and JAVA as well as osx does.
What exactly will be inferior in the support?
The fact that you have to install things via the app store API?

DannyM
Cannon Fodder

Post by DannyM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi Omnidon and guys,
It has been my understanding that the iPhone doesn't have full flash support. Some sites simply will not show up. I think it might be able to play fla files but not swf. As far as Java goes there is a setting on the iPhone to allow java to run or not. I don't know how extensive java is on the iPhone currently. Here is an older article on developing and compiling java apps for the iPhone http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/arch ... s-in-java/

I don't know how relevant that data is now but if it is I'd be willing to offer my jailbroken iPhones services as a virtual test ground for RPGs on the iPhone.

Cheers,
-D

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:05 pm

DannyM wrote:It has been my understanding that the iPhone doesn't have full flash support.
Yes, this is true. You can only use Flash applications from the app store API last I heard. Just was making sure that was all you meant.
It is a shame, since all the other smartphones are supporting Flash now.
DannyM wrote: think it might be able to play fla files but not swf.
FLA files are essentially just source code, not compiled applications.
iPhone doesn't support SWF atm, just the app store format (though Adobe's next Flash IDE, Flash Pro CS5, will be able to export directly to an iPhone format apparently).

Overall, I'd love to design some RPG-related multitouch software (probably using Flash), but I have yet to find an affordable multitouch device that appeals to me. (Partly because affordable and big don't generally go together :P :roll:)