Evernote and Dropbox

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
heruca
Developer

Evernote and Dropbox

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks to Zicon on the Dundjinni forums for this recommendation.

Dropbox looks like a great free way for GMs to post maps or character sheets on a server, so that you can use the faster and more reliable server-based map feature in BRPG. Check out this screencast to see how it works.

Evernote looks like a great way to store all your random GMing notes in a way that is easily searched.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:27 pm

I use both and they work well.

Zicon doesn't seem to mention one of the main USPs of the current version of Evernote (3) which is that is syncs notebooks to the web if you want (you can set up as many notebooks as you want all with different rules). It will also make notebooks publically available to anyone you give the url to should you want. Can also be used to read & index info you have photographed or scanned (accuracy not all it might be here though, but very good for a free prog). You will still see many people who prefer version 2.2, because it allows much more sophisticated sorting etc.

There are alternatives to Evernote which do most of what Evernote does and more. They don't have syncing to the net or reading/indexing writing on drawings or photos though. But they are often much better for writing, organising notes etc. I find Evernote best for collecting lots of disorganised snippets of info and writings, drawings etc' anything I want more organised, I use other progs for (some free, some not).

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:12 am

Very interesting.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:36 pm

I like the concept of Dropbox, enough that I installed it. Now I just have to get my players to buy into it. This would do everything that I wanted for sharing information amongst my gaming group without any effort.

Thanks for posting this Heruca.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:29 pm

I found this from the Dropbox website. A free wiki page that some people have been using in their Dropbox space, but I suppose you could put it anywhere assuming you had the web space for it.

http://www.tiddlywiki.com/