Where is new art being created now?

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
Dormouse
General

Where is new art being created now?

Post by Dormouse » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:46 pm

Way back, the DungeonCrafter site was a major centre of User Created art.
Then Dundjinni brought a real explosion in the quality and quantity of User Art.

More recently, that explosion appears to be much reduced. Of course, a lot of stuff has already been created, so maybe that's it. It also seems to have been an incredibly long time since a new version was being planned (rather reminiscent of the wait for DC2), so maybe that's it. GMs Apprentice also seems to have been having a little rest as far as new uploads is concerned.

So, what I was wondering is whether there is now another nexus for new User Art. Or is there much less being produced? Or does everyone load their art on to their own sites, so it is spread out all over?

Does anyone know?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:41 am

These are the usual places I check for content. But I agree that new art production has dropped off precipitously, and I don't think it's limited to the DJ forums. Everybody's probably off playing WoW. :roll:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:37 am

Yes, it seems to me to have fallen off generally, and if that's what you see in your journeys across the RPG net, then I'm sure it must the true.

But the DJ forums were always the real powerhouse the creation of user art and dissemination of techniques etc. I think it has generally been true that when a program's development stutters and developers appear to lose some interest in it, then so does the amount of energy in the forum, even if most of what happens in the forum is not about the program. The heavyweight users also moved a lot of their focus elsewhere, though Kepli is still active; maintaining the CSUAC eventually seems to have overwhelmed Cecil (though it would be a great deal easier if he were doing it now). I always thought that having a single centre for the creation was a good thing for the wider community, even if not everyone used DJ - the main reason I never set out to develop the DF site's image downloads/creation.

One of the things I did notice at DJ was a gradual sea change in the mood around user art. In the DC days and the early days of DJ, users made art and shared their techniques apparently for the joy of it and everyone (well, lots of people) improved together. Then there seemed to be a development of concern about the very free license that they were giving and a resentment of other people using their art 'commercially' when they received nothing; partly prompted by an appreciation that what they had done was good and worth something. And many individual attempts to not put their art on the forums, but to use it commercially themselves whilst others went for much more limited licenses. And lots of problems with copyright - many users developed very good technique and then took the simplest way of producing something by starting with an item or image which was already subject to copyright; they could use it themselves with no problems but lots of issues if it were noted at DJ, easier not to upload it there. And over time an awareness by new users of the incredible standards achieved previously (not a problem the first users faced) and the fact that so much had already been done. But maybe it is just as you say, and all the potential creators have moved on to WoW, I do know some that have after all.

OTOH, I notice that RPTools' site's art creation is doing well - encouraged I assume because of the energy in MapTools development and the very frequent updates.

None of the sites that aren't connected to a program ever seems to have generated the same amount of creation, though RPGmapshare has become a core resource. I ought to have a look at Profantasy to see if there's much going on there; not sure if there will be because one way of analysing the DJ situation might be to say that the User Creations took all the market they might have had for selling more art of their own. I know there's a lot of uploads at FM, though I've not looked closely. The CG site has lots of discussion about mapping, but little art and not that many usable maps. Dragonsfoot (mostly 1e) has a very active community and a lot of User Creations - but they are mostly not art or maps.

I shall ponder on it. Other info/views very welcome.