FLASH ANIMATIONS

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
cyderak
Captain

FLASH ANIMATIONS

Post by cyderak » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Does anyone have some links to websites that have Flash animations That are useable with Batllegrounds???

Even if you had some Flash animations you could e-mail to me my e-mail is: cyderak@yahoo.com

For example:

--Spell effects
--Animated Monsters
--Animated objects

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:24 pm

I made some Flash animations with a .gif to ,swf file converter.

If anyone wants to try them let me know......I'm converting a bunch as we speak. Most tested fine on battlegrounds.

If anyone has any really cool .gif files they want converted let me know.

My e-mail is: cyderak@yahoo.com

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:43 am

If you need any help with conversions, embedding sound, etc. then let me know.

I uploaded a few sample animations and a small pack of converted GIFs ages back when first suggesting Flash in BRPG.
viewtopic.php?t=365#3181

http://allinyourmind.net/files/flash/flash_ani.zip

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Omni. Do you have some interactive animated doors that go from closed to open and vice versa when you click on them. Maybe even a creepy Squeaky sound for wooden doors and a grinding stone sound for stone doors. An interactive Porticullis with a cool opening and closing sound. A drawbridge. Opening and Closing Arrow Slits with maybe the end of a crossbow or ballista sticking out of it. Those would work great with my interactive gaming table. The players could just open whatever door they want to go through. Just imagine the pre-made dungeons that could be created with interactive Flash animations.

If you can do the door thing let me know......I'd appreciate it immensly.

Later Omni.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:01 pm

cyderak wrote:Do you have some interactive animated doors that go from closed to open and vice versa when you click on them.
What's wrong with rotating a standard bitmap door (with offsets for the door hinges)? BRPG animates the rotation, both locally and on remote clients.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:49 am

heruca wrote:
cyderak wrote:Do you have some interactive animated doors that go from closed to open and vice versa when you click on them.
What's wrong with rotating a standard bitmap door (with offsets for the door hinges)? BRPG animates the rotation, both locally and on remote clients.
I think he just wants the ease and "wow"-factor of having interactive objects ;-)
It is certainly more satisfying just to click something than to go into a context menu or select it and use a hotkey.
Plus, the GM wouldn't have to give control of an interactive Flash object to everyone in the game to allow players to use it.
cyderak wrote:Omni. Do you have some interactive animated doors that go from closed to open and vice versa when you click on them. Maybe even a creepy Squeaky sound for wooden doors and a grinding stone sound for stone doors. An interactive Porticullis with a cool opening and closing sound. A drawbridge. Opening and Closing Arrow Slits with maybe the end of a crossbow or ballista sticking out of it. Those would work great with my interactive gaming table. The players could just open whatever door they want to go through. Just imagine the pre-made dungeons that could be created with interactive Flash animations.
I don't have any of those things at the moment, but if you provide the graphics & sound effects, then I could create them.

Keep in mind that for animations, I would need either an existing animation (such as a GIF) to convert or a set of still image frames, unless the only change to the image during the animation is rotation, movement, resizing, etc

However, as I've mentioned elsewhere, Flash objects such as doors won't open and close simultaneously for all players at once until heruca finishes adding Flash Integration, because there is currently no way in BG for Flash to send & receive messages between clients.

I'm honestly baffled why heruca hasn't finished adding it yet though, since he was very close quite a while ago :P

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:00 am

Omnidon wrote:I'm honestly baffled why heruca hasn't finished adding it yet though, since he was very close quite a while ago :P
Because I need to devote an entire release to completing Flash support, and that simply cannot happen until I have a new official release of BRPG to replace v1.4i.

After that is done, then I need to produce a series of instructional/demo videos to promote BRPG and try to significantly increase the userbase so that I can stay in business.

Then I'll have time for Flash support. There's no point in having Flash support if BG goes out of business; not for me, at least.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:49 pm

You could just do like the big software companies do and tell people they have to deal with the software "as is" until you can develope the flash integrated Battle grounds 2.0.

Keep selling the version of BG, just let everyone know what your doing so they don't lose interest in the product. Maybe allocate some smaller projects like Map Packs and Token Packs to other Battlegrounds users and contributers to keep the interest in BG there.

And while thats all going on, collaborate with Omnidon and other Flash experienced users and contributers of Battlegrounds to develope the new and improved BG 2.0 NOW WITH FLASH!!!.......hehehe.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not posting this as a burn against Heruca or anything. On the contrary, I'd love to see BG flourish and become a VTT titan in the market. But I think Battlegrounds, as it stands has gone as far as it is going to go. Its time to give BG the facelift it needs to jump start sales and interest in the product.

Whatever decision Heruca decides to make, I wish him all the good fortune in the world.

Later.

markuwp
General

another opinion on Flash

Post by markuwp » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Just as a counterpoint, I don't think anyone in our user group is interested in Flash. I guess if there were libraries of flash objects to drop in we'd use them sometimes, but I would prefer continued work on bug fixes and additions that make BRPG faster and easier to use. I'd be more interested in the ability to make maps bigger, improvements to the speed of map and FOW updates, or improved interfaces or functionality. For example, the improvements to the die roller and turn sequencer have been really helpful. However, we haven't used all of the "latest and greatest" functions because we're afraid of bugs so have stayed with a relatively stable version for a while now.

One of the things I like about BRPG is that you don't have to know anything about programming, scripting, or any other outside programs. I have a feeling that Flash is more important to more sophisticated users who do flash development than to the average user.

Don't get me wrong-- I have nothing against flash and could probably benefit from the things other people would do with it, but for me it would be a very low priority.

Kazander
General

Re: another opinion on Flash

Post by Kazander » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:20 pm

markuwp wrote:Just as a counterpoint, I don't think anyone in our user group is interested in Flash. [snip]
I'd like to echo this response; I could not have said it better.

Flash support would be nice, but I sincerely doubt I would ever create any Flash animations myself.

Speeding up BRPG, fixing the bugs, and working on the interfaces are much higher priorities.

Especially the speed issue. With BPRG, the movement updates and the Turn Sequencer updates and 'stepping' are just slow.

In my group for example, I'm the GM and I have 3 regular players. 2 of them are windows uses, one uses a Mac laptop. Regardless of BRPG version, the Mac has always been the slowest, even though he suffers the least lag of the 3 (he actually lives in the same city as me), and has the greatest bandwidth available to him. In BRPG 1.6f, when I advance the Turn Sequencer, on average it takes the windows users 5-6 seconds to receive the update. It takes the Mac user 9-10. During the course of play, it is pretty normal for a bunch of mooks to have the same initiative, so they typically get advanced all at once. So the Mac user has to wait for all those updates to go through before he can do anything; move his token, roll dice, etc. It's not unusual for him to wait a minute before he can do anything.

Needless to say, during the course of one night of play, an awful lot of time is wasted just waiting.

It absolutely baffles me why it takes so long for these updates. In the day where 3 GHz multi-core processors are normal, 6-10 seconds to exchange what appears to be a few dozen bytes of information seems absurd. But that's what it takes. Either Director is a terribly inefficient platform, or there must be a way to optimize the programming, or perhaps both. I don't know. I just wish it could be a whole lot faster.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: another opinion on Flash

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:41 am

heruca wrote:
Omnidon wrote:I'm honestly baffled why heruca hasn't finished adding it yet though, since he was very close quite a while ago :P
Because I need to devote an entire release to completing Flash support, and that simply cannot happen until I have a new official release of BRPG to replace v1.4i.

After that is done, then I need to produce a series of instructional/demo videos to promote BRPG and try to significantly increase the userbase so that I can stay in business.

Then I'll have time for Flash support. There's no point in having Flash support if BG goes out of business; not for me, at least.
I completely agree that getting BG stable is the highest priority. An entire release devoted to Flash can wait.

However, unless something has changed, you were about 1 line of code away from having a functional (if not efficient) form of Flash integration a long time ago. You had both sending and receiving Flash variables working, just not at the same time. When you added one, you broke the other.

I'm not suggesting that you spend a lot of energy on Flash right now. You were just so close, and it frustrates me that a tiny little bug is delaying Flash integration by more than a year.
cyderak wrote:You could just do like the big software companies do and tell people they have to deal with the software "as is" until you can develope the flash integrated Battle grounds 2.0.
While I agree that heruca needs to start working on BG 2.0 soon (assuming he can get his hands on Director 11.5 or better), I certainly think he should get a stable, working version of BG 1.x released first. And as I said above, he was so close to having a crude form of Flash integration that it seems silly to not to throw that in as well so people have something to play with while waiting for BG 2.0
Kazander wrote:
markuwp wrote:Just as a counterpoint, I don't think anyone in our user group is interested in Flash. [snip]
I'd like to echo this response; I could not have said it better.
I agree that Flash has never been the biggest priority. I too would love to see heruca spend most of his time on core features. The point of Flash integration wasn't to eat up his time though, but to *save* him time by allowing people like me to develop some features for him.

It's relatively easy to add support for Flash in Director if you weight it against its potential advantages. Plus, as I said, we were very close to having basic integration a long time ago.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 pm

I'm sure if you took Battlegrounds as it stands and a new Flash integrated Battlegrounds and put them side by side, the difference would be substantially noticeable.

And like Omnidon said, Heruca could farm out some of the flash integration to Omnidon and other Users who are familiar with Flash.

Just think:
--Flash integrated Radial Menus that execute way faster.
--Flash animation integrated Maps with interactive objects imbedded.
--Adventures created by 3rd party companies to be used in a new Flash integrated BG.

And those are just surface observations by a computer Novice like myself. I'm sure the more Computer oriented Users could find even more useful ways to integrate flash that would increase the overall reaction speed of the software.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:34 pm

cyderak wrote:--Flash integrated Radial Menus that execute way faster.
I think that is the kind of feature that is intimidating heruca, since integrating Flash with all of BRPG's menus would require a somewhat fleshed-out API.
However, such complete integration can wait until heruca has time to dedicate an entire release to the API.

On the other hand, interactive objects that don't directly tie into BG's interface would still add a lot to BG's capabilities, and would merely require a way to send small amounts of information between connected clients - a feature that was already nearly complete ages ago.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Omnidon.

I have a gif and flash version of a door opening and closing and a creaky door sound. Is there any way you could make it interactive for me to the point when it is clicked on that it opens and when its clicked on again that it closes? Both times making the creaky door sound.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:18 pm

cyderak wrote:I have a gif and flash version of a door opening and closing and a creaky door sound. Is there any way you could make it interactive for me to the point when it is clicked on that it opens and when its clicked on again that it closes? Both times making the creaky door sound.
Sure, as long as you keep in mind what I said above about the limitations of BG's flash support atm (that it won't open and close for all the players at once, each will have to click it manually).

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Heres the gif files to create an interactive flash Door animation.

heres the link to a site that has door sound effects for free:

http://www.pacdv.com/sounds/domestic_sounds.html
--Door Open 3
--Door Squeak 2
--Door Close 7

If you can, try to use an "open" sound effect, a "door squeak" sound effect, and a "door close" sound effect. Placing them in the appropriate places that make sense gfor that particular part of the animation.

Thanks tons Omnidon.
Attachments
Door - Right Open.gif
Door open image
Door - Right Open.gif (7.11 KiB) Viewed 8800 times
Door - Half Open.gif
Door Half Open image
Door - Half Open.gif (7.11 KiB) Viewed 8800 times
Door - Closed.gif
Door closed image
Door - Closed.gif (6.79 KiB) Viewed 8803 times

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:30 pm

Omnidon........If you have any way to create a couple more door angle gifs to make the animation a little more smooth that'd be great.

I think that with only the three door angles I gave you, the animation might be a little choppy.

If you have to work with just those three gifs then thats cool.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 pm

cyderak wrote:Omnidon........If you have any way to create a couple more door angle gifs to make the animation a little more smooth that'd be great.

I think that with only the three door angles I gave you, the animation might be a little choppy.

If you have to work with just those three gifs then thats cool.
Dynamic rotation is easy, assuming those are transparent. I'll make that for you soon.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Omnidon wrote:assuming those are transparent.
Unfortunately, those images are not transparent. (They are flattened onto the black background.)

Did you create those frames yourself from a PNG file or did you find them as they are now on the net? If so, where did you get them?

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:50 pm

I got the images from dundjinni website on their forums.

just did a search for "Doors".

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:55 pm

If you downloaded them using Internet Explorer, it may have caused the transparency in the original PNGs to be lost. Best post a link so that Omnidon can download them himself.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:43 am

http://dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts ... 2&KW=doors

Just pick the coolest double door and single door pics.

If you could do a single door and double door animation that'd be great.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Hey Omnidon...

So hows the door comin?

Don't mean to sound pushy......Just excited.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:51 pm

Been restoring files from my backup all day as one of my big HDs just died.

As for the the doors in that thread, they're all in the closed state with dropshadows and/or with door bolts in place. That would make it a look bit weird if they rotated outwards (since the door bolts would get cut in half and the dropshadows would appear to cut off at the seam).
It's better if you find one in the Open state or lacking dropshadows & door bolt.

That's why I've always been annoyed when artists add flattened dropshadows woithut providing an unflattened original. Very easy to add dropshadows later, but very tedious to remove them.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:21 am

Omnidon wrote:Very easy to add dropshadows later, but very tedious to remove them.
It's tricky to remove a drop-shadow from a translucent piece like glass or a ghost, but it's pretty trivial (in Photoshop) to remove a drop-shadow from an opaque piece. Just takes a double-click to select the layer, inverse the selection with a hotkey combo, and the delete the shadow with the Delete/Backspace key. Sometimes repeating the procedure a second time helps.

I don't know how it's done in Gimp or other graphics apps, though.