Game Master's Campaign - Fantasy art kit

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
Shockbolt
Soldier

Game Master's Campaign - Fantasy art kit

Post by Shockbolt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Hello,

My name is Raymond Gaustadnes and I'm a freelance digital artist living in Norway. I'm currently running a kickstarter project, named "Game Master's Campaign - Fantasy art kit" and I'm kinda "reluctantly" seeking out any forums I can find that are about Virtual tabletop softwares, in order to show that my project is live and possibly finding Game Masters, module makers or game developers in general that might have use of my artwork with their games.

The kit will contain, in the end: terrain maps, tiles to construct structures ontop of the terrain, decals to give variation to the terrain and a massive bunch of items, objects, creatures, monsters and fantasy characters to place ontop of the finished campaign map(s). Everything will come in 3 sizes, the largest versions allows you to print out the artwork, for use with your physical rpg campaigns should you wish for that.

The intended use for this kit, or should I say kits as I plan to create smaller addons to the main kit, it for digital use. You either load everything inside your VTT of choice and put together the map there, or take the terrains and tiles into any software capable of handling PNG files (transparent backgrounds), create your maps there and then bring the maps and tokens into your VTT of choice.

I have started painting the kit but there's tons of work to be done still. I've posted updates and examples for the kit over the last weeks in another forum, with some really nice feedback.

I've worked with many game companies in the past, creating artwork for various physical and digital games, you can see some of them here (be warned, you'll find new and not so recent artwork in the gallery :) ) http://shockbolt.deviantart.com

And then there's the kickstarter project page here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vor ... sy-art-kit

Don't feel obliged to back it, but there are some nice rewards for the higher pledge levels, such as acquiring a license to use my artwork for your commercial projects, those rewards are limited.

Last but not least, here are some larger sized previews of the tokens and tiles, keep in mind: all creatures, monsters, characters, objects and items will come without backgrounds, this allows you to place and rotate them any way you want ontop of your maps. Files for digital use will be of reasonable size(sizes, as they will vary in size as to what the tokens are, dragons will be larger than goblins etc). A fantasy player character might be 128x128 pixels in size, more than enough to show some nice details in the token when used, or 64x64 pixels.

more previews and updates to be posted later :)
Last edited by Shockbolt on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Welcome, Shockbolt.

Wow, this is a very interesting Kickstarter for the virtual tabletop community and the mapping community (make sure you post this in the Dundjinni forums, if you haven't already)!

I'd like to get a better idea of the difference between the $250 and the $500 pledge level. They sound very similar, and there seems to be a discrepancy between what is posted in the sidebar and what is posted near the bottom of the Kickstarter page (where it does not mention the non-exclusive distribution license).

Would you be available to chat via Skype (or the like)? If so, please email me using the link below this post, to let me know your username and conferencing software of choice.

Thanks for posting here, and best of luck with your Kickstarter campaign.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:33 pm

heruca wrote:Welcome, Shockbolt.

Wow, this is a very interesting Kickstarter for the virtual tabletop community and the mapping community (make sure you post this in the Dundjinni forums, if you haven't already)!

I'd like to get a better idea of the difference between the $250 and the $500 pledge level. They sound very similar, and there seems to be a discrepancy between what is posted in the sidebar and what is posted near the bottom of the Kickstarter page (where it does not mention the non-exclusive distribution license).

Would you be available to chat via Skype (or the like)? If so, please email me using the link below this post, to let me know your username and conferencing software of choice.

Thanks for posting here, and best of luck with your Kickstarter campaign.
Thanks!

The difference between the reward text and text found on the KS page has been corrected, must have been caused by a tired pair of eyes :)
In any case, the text in the pledge reward box would have been the legally binding text.

The difference between the $250 and $500 are:

At $250, you receive the full base kit, plus all reached stretch goal addon kits + custom tiles/tokens for me to paint after your art descriptions. You will have to purchase any future addon kits, made after the kickstarter project has ended.

At $500, you receive the same as the $250 + every future addon kit to the fantasy art kit. This goes beyond the stretch goals, and if I create 20 addon kits over the next two years, you will receive those free of charge. If I make 50 addon kits to the fantasy art kit during my lifetime, you will get those 50 addon kits free of charge.

Both those pledge levels would grant a single individual or independent game/module maker a license to use the art within his products. I've had a few inquiries about the possible use of these kits within online rpg tools/VTTs, not sure how to handle that just yet..

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:59 am

Shockbolt wrote:I've had a few inquiries about the possible use of these kits within online rpg tools/VTTs, not sure how to handle that just yet..
From the end-user point of view, most VTs (including BRPG) make it fairly simple to add PNG files to the applications -- generally by placing the artwork in the appropriate folder.

If you want to go further and release a BRPG-specific media bundle, then I'm sure heruca would be happy to help you with that. Several other artists are selling their work in the BRPG media bundle format via the Battlegrounds store at discounted rates, since it is a fairly secure encrypted archive that can only be used with BRPG. Even if you don't want to sell a media bundle separately, you can easily provide it as an optional download to your normal customers for their convenience.

There is also the possibility of arranging for some of your artwork to be included in the BRPG download for free. It's a great way to advertise your work. I know that Devinnight and Steel Rat (both fantastic artists) have both garnered more attention for their work that way.

By the way, if you think you will be visiting here often to post updates and would like your own Content Developer forum section, that can be arranged as well.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Omnidon wrote:
Shockbolt wrote:I've had a few inquiries about the possible use of these kits within online rpg tools/VTTs, not sure how to handle that just yet..
From the end-user point of view, most VTs (including BRPG) make it fairly simple to add PNG files to the applications -- generally by placing the artwork in the appropriate folder.

If you want to go further and release a BRPG-specific media bundle, then I'm sure heruca would be happy to help you with that. Several other artists are selling their work in the BRPG media bundle format via the Battlegrounds store at discounted rates, since it is a fairly secure encrypted archive that can only be used with BRPG. Even if you don't want to sell a media bundle separately, you can easily provide it as an optional download to your normal customers for their convenience.

There is also the possibility of arranging for some of your artwork to be included in the BRPG download for free. It's a great way to advertise your work. I know that Devinnight and Steel Rat (both fantastic artists) have both garnered more attention for their work that way.

By the way, if you think you will be visiting here often to post updates and would like your own Content Developer forum section, that can be arranged as well.
Me and heruca had a quick chat about the kit on skype here earlier. Basically what I'd want to do, is be able to finish the kit before I make any agreements, as I'd hate not being able to follow up on them.

I've had 4-5 offers to sell these tiles through various rpg/VTT websites, and one offer to have them directly integrated with their website. In any case, I'd like to wait until the KS project is over before I decide to do any of them.

I've also had some concrete payment suggestions, one was a 15% share cut from the sales of my kits...that was more an insult than suggestion in my eyes.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 pm

More previews of tokens to be found within the Fantasy art kit, finished versions might look a tiny bit different than seen here, and some of the tokens will come in many versions:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:02 am

Good job. I especially like the beholder.

Man, I wish I could paint like that.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:10 am

Yeah those are fantastic.
Will you be providing any color variations of your creatures? (especially relevant for things like that beholder)
I realize that color variants can be manually created by your customers using filters, but those would obviously be lower quality than what you could provide.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:01 am

@ heruca: many thanks! It's taken me many years to get to where I am now, but I'm sure there are much faster ways to become a good digital artist. Keep painting and improving is what I usually say to people asking me what they should do to improve their skills.

I usually spend 40 hours a week, painting and designing games & game elements in addition to my daytime job.

Omnidon wrote:Yeah those are fantastic.
Will you be providing any color variations of your creatures? (especially relevant for things like that beholder)
I realize that color variants can be manually created by your customers using filters, but those would obviously be lower quality than what you could provide.
I've not yet set a fixed number of tokens for the huge Fantasy art kit, it will include everything in the list and more variations of each if time allows. So you might end up seeing 3-5 differently styled minotaurs, 3 differently styled giants etc in the final product, not just one of each.

As for the beholder/eye beast, it's fairly easy to change it's colors for me, so that one will come in many colors and textures, and even sizes and numbers of extra eyes to it :)

I'm already planning a new low stretch goal, for a Minimap kit that will be included with the Fantasy art kit, containing many old styled parchments and "hand drawn" tiles that will allow you to create guide maps to hand out to the players during the rpg session. It will probably be added to a $5500 stretch goal, just above the minimum goal. These maps might show a location to where they have to travel or a location that they have to discover etc. The tiles for it would be miniature towers, houses, villages, cities, ships, caves, forests, mountains, hills, swamps and much more, even tiny tiles allowing for GMs to construct miniature dungeon maps, used for display purposes before they use the real tiles and tokens to adventure into the real dungeons.

I'll post a few previews of this Minimap kit here and on my KS page soon.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:06 pm

So, before I had time to rig a good example, and set the mini stretch goal on my KS page, the Minimap kit stretch goal was reached last night at $5500.

It will come free of charge with the Fantasy art kit, enabling you as a developer or GM, to create...minimaps to hand out to the players. Obviously, some work is required to be done, such as drawing roads, rivers, lakes onto the map. Below you'll see some examples of what you can design using the contents of the minimap kit:

Using the terrain map symbols/tiles and spending a few minutes drawing roads, rivers and lakes, adding text, you might end up with something like this for use with your campaign:

The list of tiles and symbols to be included with this Minimap kit is growing, what you see in the 3 examples above is just a small portion of what you'll find in the kit once it's ready.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 pm

Congrats on reaching your funding goal! (with 30 days to go, even!)

The minimaps look nice.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:18 pm

heruca wrote:Congrats on reaching your funding goal! (with 30 days to go, even!)

The minimaps look nice.
Many thanks! In the process of filling up the rest of the contents of the Minimap kit, and listing up what will be in the addon kits for the Fantasy art kit.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:44 pm

The KS project reached it's $7K stretch goal today, adding a Tavern/Inn addon art kit to the project. In addition, a new stretch goal was added, containing a Nautical addon art kit. Read more about both of them on the KS project page.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:23 pm

This just keeps getting better and better.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Hehe, I love that it says "cannon fodder" near my avatar :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:33 pm

Heh! By the next time you post, you'll have gone up in rank.

By the way, I don't see an avatar for you. Did you upload one?

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:37 pm

heruca wrote:Heh! By the next time you post, you'll have gone up in rank.

By the way, I don't see an avatar for you. Did you upload one?
I tried to, seems it didn't stick. It's a .jpg file, I assumed it would work, but it looks like I have to read up on what requirements there are for the avatars.

Seems I misjudged the size-requirement. Got it to stick now that I reduced the quality somewhat :)

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:39 am

The $9k stretch goal was reached last night, adding the Castles, torture chamber & siege engines addon art kit to the project. The contents of this kit can now be found on the kickstarter project page. Also, a new stretch goal has been added...

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:05 am

:D Awesome ...

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Kepli wrote::D Awesome ...
Thanks kepli :)

Moving towards the next stretch goal now, the "Holy places" addon art kit.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:59 pm

A couple of previews, made with some of the tiles, terrains, decals and tokens made so far for the base Fantasy art kit. The purpose of these two previews were to create wooden structures, using two wood tile sets to be found with the base Fantasy art kit:

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Free of charge, the Minimap kit will be provided with all base Fantasy art kits. The minimap kit allows you to create fantasy/medieval maps, and then hand them out to your players during a rpg campaign. Here are some of the compass symbols that will be coming with the Minimap kit, along with tiles and tokens to create the rest of the interior and exterior maps, such as creating dungeon levels, house levels or terrains.

Shockbolt
Soldier

Post by Shockbolt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:47 pm

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:11 pm

That is absolutely, drop-dead gorgeous! Kudos!

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Yeah! Excellent lighting and design on those weapons!