Artpack suggestion

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
Motdc
Captain

Artpack suggestion

Post by Motdc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Suggestion for those Artpack authors out there:

A HeroQuest themed art pack would rock!

I just spent a bunch of time and money trying to get all of the bits I need for a HQ module but am still missing key items. A lot of the artpakcs seem D&D focused, while HQ comes from the Warhammer workd with some unique creatures including Skaven and Fimirs.

Zearthling
Sergeant

Post by Zearthling » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:57 pm

as per copyright agreements on many commercial products go, I am not entirely sure HeroQuest can be done without permission. In fact I know it can not be done with out permission...
sorry to inform you on that... :(

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 pm

HeroQuest themed, not copied from the game book. There is no issue putting high-quality artist created Orc, Goblin, Skeleton etc plus the relevent furniture bits together in a zip file. I have got it 80% right now and it is awesome :D

Zearthling
Sergeant

Post by Zearthling » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:38 am

I was reading a blog about the legality of doing such just recently, so I will link you the thread, and you may glean some further information on this subject.
http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/111231
Good blog, lots of actual factual perspectives on the laws involved put into the discussion.

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 am

I read your link, and to be honest I am somewhat familiar with some of this because I used to author software that let people play board games via PBEM and you run into these issues.

Original art, as long as it is original (and not a derivative work) is fine.

Rule mechanics are also not copyrightable either, though nothing in an art pack would really relate to the rules.

Putting the *map* in the art pack would not be OK, as would putting images of the rulebook or quest books be a no-no.

I've almost got the pieces I need now after spending some serious hours downloading art. The rack took forever to find.

I found a barely-adequate replacement for the Fimir, but it will have to do. I'll need Skaven eventually, but I've got time before that is needed.

And having done all the work to gather materials, if someone ever put together a single artpack with all the creatures, heros, furnature bits, etc in one place and in a consistent look and feel, I'd still buy it!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:51 am

Motdc wrote:I used to author software that let people play board games via PBEM
Really? Which program?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm

It is a program for windows called MapView. Mostly used for playing Axis & Allies and its variants. The game module creation process if open so anyone can create their own via an XML file and a set of images. It had some PBEM-specific features like turn history, movement arrows etc.

Sample screen shots:

Attached another taken from the full-screen mode (which shrinks the whole map to screen size for screen shots).

My website hosting company, Nexpoint.net was apparently taken over by another one called Xibi and in that process my site was down for two months. Nexpoint is back up now but my site is gone. I'm not the only one, there are a bunch of sites/companies/organizations that were equally screwed. And some are in far worse shape, as they had message boards or other data-driven sites which are not replacable. Some talk on webhostingtalk.com about organizing a class action, but that won't get out site content back.

In any case, I'm trying to build up the energy to rebuild my site :( [/img]
Attachments
Mot_VS_Cobalt_Luksusowa_Poland_Attack5.jpg
MapView combat
Mot_VS_Cobalt_Luksusowa_Poland_Attack5.jpg (240.64 KiB) Viewed 5065 times