Software Preview Video released

Other Battlegrounds Games news
heruca
Developer

Software Preview Video released

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:56 am

I've posted a video that previews the new features that will be coming out in BRPG v1.9 and BGE v1.8. Check it out here.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Software Preview Video released

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:13 pm

Nice. I like the improved group feature. As you no doubt recall, that was one of the first features I suggested for BG.

I also like the widgets, though it's a shame they weren't made in Flash :P
The main problem I see with the widgets is the ugly gray background - it covers a lot more of the map than necessary. It would be nice if you could set the background to transparent (tho leaving a background on the mini-movement grid would be okay).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:45 pm

The Zoom widget could have been significantly smaller, but I made it the same size as the Unit widget for consistency. There's probably room for improvement, to be sure. As you've seen with everything from the Fog of War and the Dice Roller to the Turn Sequencer, things in Battlegrounds can change drastically over time. This is just the first iteration, which will surely be improved upon in v2.

I've posted on various forums over the years but have had no luck finding Flash developers with an interest in collaborating on Battlegrounds widgets.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:53 am

heruca wrote:The Zoom widget could have been significantly smaller, but I made it the same size as the Unit widget for consistency. There's probably room for improvement, to be sure.
I wasn't saying it needed to be smaller, just that the gray background wasn't necessary and would look a lot better transparent. The gray background probably makes it easier to see on projectors and large screens, but on a normal PC screen it's just ugly and covers up a lot of the map.
heruca wrote:I've posted on various forums over the years but have had no luck finding Flash developers with an interest in collaborating on Battlegrounds widgets.
Well, I'm a flash developer interested in collaborating on BG widgets :P

You won't be able to get other developers on board with it until they see an easy-to-use API released for it though.

One of the PC games I play actually has flash-based mod support but because they haven't released an API for it, only dedicated russian crackers have bothered reverse engineering the official mods to make new ones :P
That being said, pretty much everyone who plays the game uses the russian mods cuz they add so many features.

Mind you, nowadays the big fad is using Javascript for everything, but since you're still using Adobe Director, Flash is still the better option. (And in fact, Flash can be used as a wrapper for Javascript code)