Good news for Linux users

Other Battlegrounds Games news
heruca
Developer

Good news for Linux users

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:32 pm

I've just received confirmation that BRPG will run in Linux under WINE. :D

Since it's running in emulation, performance is slower, and depending on your computer/CPU, it may only be acceptable to run in Player mode, not GM mode.

There may also be some issues with the occasional dialogue box opening behind the main window, so it is not 100% perfect, but it is certainly usable. The version tested was v1.0.2b.

I have hope that when Adobe releases the next version of Macromedia Director, they might allow for compiling for Linux, at which point I can just make a Linux-specific launcher and BRPG will be able to run natively, without requiring emulation.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sun May 27, 2007 6:21 am

I'm trying to run it under Wine, but it keeps asking me for the location of MainMIAW.dir, however I do see a MainMIAW.dxr, dunno whats up. Any suggestions?

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sun May 27, 2007 6:35 am

Thought you might like to see it Heruca:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 27, 2007 1:00 pm

Very neat.

"MainMIAW.dir" is the uncompiled source file that I work with in development. "MainMIAW.dxr" is the compiled, protected file that gets distributed (it can't be edited). Director is supposed to be able to find all the files regardless of which extension is used, but it seems like it may have had trouble doing so under WINE emulation.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:08 am

Well, not a true Linux solution, but I've run BG in Virtualbox without the issues that have popped up in Wine with windows showing up behind the battlemap. It basically runs a full Windows installation in Linux where you can run BG from.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Good to know there's a way around that windowing issue. Is there a big speed hit when using Virtualbox?

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:36 am

It's basically runnning WinXP inside Linux, however you have to split your RAM usage, but from my testing using 256MB of RAM to drive VirtualBox, it moved pretty quick, this is on a 2.4GhZ Celeron.