Ostfront in BGE

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
rab46
Captain

Ostfront in BGE

Post by rab46 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:06 am

Got this game for Christmas and have started playing it in BGE. BGG thread here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21357843#21357843.

Randy

heruca
Developer

Re: Ostfront in BGE

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:41 am

Always great to see more digital game conversions created for BGE.

You should compile a running list of all the games you've converted, perhaps linking to the download thread in cases where the game conversion is shareable.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:30 pm

I posted several screen shots of what is essentially the final version of my development of Ostfront in BGE. If anyone is interested they can use the link above to see them. I've played a few standalone scenarios and have just started a campaign game which consists of seven scenarios. As an aside, I am enjoying this game. It's got just the right amount of detail and chance to keep things interesting and I'm looking forward to shepherding my leader through the scenarios in search of promotion.

I'll give some thought to listing the games I've converted for use in BGE. Some of them would require the owners to approve the release of the media file. I've made the request twice in the past and both times I did not get a response. Someone on BGG asked if I could share the final version of Ostfront. I replied that I was willing but that the game developer would have to approve. We'll see if he gives his permission.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:14 pm

rab46 wrote:Someone on BGG asked if I could share the final version of Ostfront. I replied that I was willing but that the game developer would have to approve. We'll see if he gives his permission.
Fingers crossed.

When putting this together, did you have any issues implementing the game mechanics? Any new feature requests resulting from your experience in putting this game conversion together?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Nothing earth shaking comes to mind, but there are several niggly things.

It would be nice if the program remembered what I set for session specific settings. I shut off the view bar every time I use the program and wish I didn't have too.

Is there any way to quickly pick locked and tiled items off the unit manager list? If there is I haven't found it. I usually end up with a hundred or so items on the unit manager list and have to dig through it line by line to find an item if I need to unlock it or change its tile status. If an easy way to do this doesn't exist, it would be nice to have one.

I wish the dice macro pop up were smaller. It takes up a lot of screen real estate and I sometimes wish I could leave the box open and see something on the table below. I know that I can move it, but it always seems to be in the way.

At one time I tracked down an issue with the use of carriage returns when entering text into the draw menu text box. Did you ever see any issues with this? I just stopped doing it, which means that I have to create multiple text elements for multiple text lines. Would be convenient to just do this with one text entry.

It would be nice if I could select to automatically open and display the reference image associated with a dice macro. I tend to embed DRM help text there and would like to see it pop up automatically. Again, I know I can get to this from the macro inspection screen and result displays with one mouse click. But it does get monotonous to do it every time you execute certain macros.

Another possible nice to have would be spawning one dice macro from another. Frequently I will create a dice macro to do something like determine accuracy of an attempt which if successful is immediately followed by another dice macro to determine impact of the action. Again, I know that I can load the next macro and execute it but frequently wish that I could just automatically roll into the next macro with one click. At a minimum it would save me the time it takes to pull up the list and find the macro I want next.

I really like the unmoveable feature, but I occasionally have problems with it which I haven't been able to tie to any particular action. All of sudden an image which has been set to unmoveable starts to jump around every time I click the mouse somewhere on the screen. It's kind of off set from it's original position and the distance seems to be related to how far the cursor has moved before I click it. I can get it to return to it's rightful position by clicking on the displaced image. It will do this for several clicks then I will do something and it starts behaving correctly. It's bizarre and I haven't been able to figure out what initiates or stops it.

You're probably sorry you asked! I would be happy to expand on any of these topics if you are interested and I'll give it some more thought and if anything else comes to mind I'll let you know. I don't think any of these are deal breakers. I truly love using this program and I continue to marvel at some of the things I find I can do.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Hernan, one more item came to mind. A lot of games use chit or card pull mechanics and I usually create card decks of these. To pull a random chit or card from the stack/deck I end up shuffling the group then turning the top one over. It would be useful to be able to do this with one click rather than two actions that require several clicks.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:59 am

Well, technically, you only really need to shuffle the stack once. After that, it's strictly card draws (a single hotkey press).

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:07 pm

But frequently you need to return the drawn chit or card back to the deck to maintain the desired statistical frequency, which is the case in Ostfront.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:59 pm

In BGE v2, you can expect a chit bag component type and a chit pull feature, with an option to auto-refill the chitbag after each pull, or after a certain condition has been met (end of turn, no more of a certain chit type remains in the bag, etc.).

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:09 pm

Great, thanks!

okiefire
Cannon Fodder

Post by okiefire » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 pm

I just got all three components today (BGE, Ostfront game and your module). I'm looking forward to learning it all and playing as quickly as possible. Thanks.
I'd love to try your Advanced Platoon Leader module, also. And any others that you might be willing/able to share.