Mahhand's latest game session

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
Post Reply
mahhand
Captain
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:05 pm

Post by mahhand » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:44 pm

I ran a battlegrounds game last night with 108a. I was on my High end laptop, wired to a Dlink router, port 1626 forwards correctly, running over a very low end dsl connection (moms 12.99 a month for a year ones). Speedtest shows about 1245 down and 245 to 295 up, so not even close to cable).

I had 3 players connected to my battlegrounds session. I would like to ask Heruca if he could not do a patch again, no matter how small, and keep the same version number/letter, it can be quite frustrating to be asking, do you have the old 108a, or the new 108a? lol.

Me and my group hate to chat, so we where using Skype to handle our VOIP needs. We have tried Ventrilo, and it works good as well, but Skype totally rocks and worked flawlessly. I purchased an excellent device to use with Skype and other VOIP apps, its a Polycomm communicator usb speakerphone with two mic's, and man ohh man does it work sweet. Here is a pic of it.


Image

We bought it because the Dm, aka me, is moving a few states away soon, and we wanted a simple to use device that would works with a group of players all at the same house say. This way, they need only one system running BG( Displayed on one of my players 46" 1080p, 1920 by 1200 rez sharp TV!), and the Polycomm Communicator handling the voice. Last night each of my three players connected on there own machines at home, so i used the device, was nice not having to wear a headset and mic. I might even buy a second one when i move up north to use.

So I had a BG session with three remote players connected to me, and was also hosting a Skype session with the same 3 players connected to it. I am happy to say that everything worked like a charm. Heruca has really done some great improvements to BG and it really shows now. I started the game off with an export of the current map and figs and had my players download it from an ftp server. After each of them imported it, i had them connect to the session and it worked perfectly. I tried to get a second map into the export bundle, but it didn't seem to add it, as when i switched maps to it, it started sending it the old fashion way. In the past i would have been saying " alllll Nooooo", as the maps never seemed to send correctly, but I had faith that it would work this time, and i had the back up option of resending missing parts if need be. the map was 413k jpeg, so i figured that meant it was about 4 megs uncompressed. during this time i was able to keep in voice contact still, and was able to get updates on how the map transfer was coming along. about 3 or 4 min went by about, and each of them had it. I was using FoW for this map, a few different light souces also. The second map worked perfect, and my players really got into it with the FoW and the light spells revealing the map as they moved. I didn't use the second masking layer, as i had no real need for it.

The game had two combats in it, one with 8 Ghasts, against the 6 players and 2 npcs. Each player was assigned two figures each, and was able to move them with no problems. We did get a little snapback, but it was very minimal and always corrected itself.

Die Rolling was the biggest challenge that we all faced. we found that just rolling the dice and reading out the bonuses, just like at a live game. it was slower then we would have liked, but it worked.

All in all, we all had a very good time, and this DM has SOLD his players i believe on BG. I felt that i now have the tools that we need to keep a campaign going that has lasted 23 years. We still plan on having 1 or 2 live games a year, but BG will make it easy and possible to run as many games as we like, even with their DM over 1000 miles away.

My hats off to you Heruca, you have done well my friend. And also to all of you that have like me stuck with BG and given your feedback and help with BG.

mahhand

Here is the last round of the battle below


Image

Now get back to the Die Roller Overhaul Boss!!![/img]

User avatar
heruca
Developer
Posts: 9384
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:16 pm

Note: I split this from the Developer's Notebook thread. Tsk! Tsk!

Thanks for the cool write up, mahhand. 8)
mahhand wrote:I am happy to say that everything worked like a charm. Heruca has really done some great improvements to BG and it really shows now.
I'm glad BRPG worked smoothly for you and your group. Hopefully now that the important bugs have finally been dealt with, we can move forward with new features while maintaining the level of stability.
mahhand wrote:I felt that i now have the tools that we need to keep a campaign going that has lasted 23 years. We still plan on having 1 or 2 live games a year, but BG will make it easy and possible to run as many games as we like, even with their DM over 1000 miles away.
Woot! That just made my day. :D
mahhand wrote:I would like to ask Heruca if he could not do a patch again, no matter how small, and keep the same version number/letter, it can be quite frustrating to be asking, do you have the old 108a, or the new 108a?
The reason I justified not changing the version number is because it doesn't matter if the players were running the original v1.0.8a. The changes in the re-issued v1.0.8a only affected the GM Client, so as long as the GM is up to date, that's all that's needed. But yeah, it can be confusing, so I will try to avoid it happening again.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

User avatar
Omnidon
Site Admin
Posts: 2186
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:46 pm
Location: NY State, USA
Contact:

Post by Omnidon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:32 pm

heruca wrote:
mahhand wrote:I would like to ask Heruca if he could not do a patch again, no matter how small, and keep the same version number/letter, it can be quite frustrating to be asking, do you have the old 108a, or the new 108a?
The reason I justified not changing the version number is because it doesn't matter if the players were running the original v1.0.8a. The changes in the re-issued v1.0.8a only affected the GM Client, so as long as the GM is up to date, that's all that's needed. But yeah, it can be confusing, so I will try to avoid it happening again.
Yeah, if you just need some way to refer to it, you can always use something like:
v1.08a.r2
(Revision two)

User avatar
heruca
Developer
Posts: 9384
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Not a bad idea. Have a cookie. :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests