Aliens game recap

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
heruca
Developer

Aliens game recap

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:46 am

I ran another Aliens game last night, with Greytale and Elf playing. It was a lot of fun, although IMO the game plays better with 3 or 4 players.

Here's a screen capture, right after Vazquez was picked off for straggling and Hicks was picked off for being too far ahead of the group (actually, a nasty roll guaranteed him certain death regardless of where he was on the map).

The end result of the scenario was a Draw, with 5 healthy Marines making it to the exit, carrying out an incapacitated comrade. There were 9 Marines when the game started.

The game session lasted an hour and 45 minutes, and BRPG worked flawlessly except for one script error (which was easily dismissed and play proceeded without incident).

Ventrilo also worked really well for the voice chat. I was running the Ventrilo server on the same computer that I was hosting BRPG on, and there were no lag issues.

At the bottom of the screen, you can see two audio buttons, which were hidden from the players. I attached sound effects to the one on the left, and dialogue snippets from the movie to the one on the right. Each character also had relevant sound effects and dialogue snippets attached to them, which the players could play when appropriate. Combined with the background music tracks that were always playing, I think he audio element really enhanced the mood of the game.

Ironically, I believe this was only my second ever full game session with BRPG. :shock:

I need to play more. :lol:
Attachments
Aliens Game Screenshot.jpg
Aliens Game Screenshot.jpg (640.59 KiB) Viewed 5653 times
Last edited by heruca on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

trevor
Sergeant

Post by trevor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:50 am

Fun to read the post game writeup :)

You ought to create a time-lapse video of the game so we can watch brpg in action !

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:40 am

I have to say it was great to see the growth of BRPG in just the past few months from ICON.

I had a blast playing this game at ICON but we did have a few game stopping glitches in that game. Last night the system preformed wonderfully.

The major difference between the sessions then and now, was that the tokens moved as they should with no lag or jumpiness. I have to say when Heruca did the mass move of aliens as we where positioned near the door, it was intimidating. To see seven of them moving at you at once was pretty darn slick.

Combine that with a music soundtrack and the audio effects it was a great time. (The next step is visual ;)).

I have to admit both Hicks and Vasquez were mine, and as well as I did at ICON, I was just as bad last night. Though Heruca did get pretty darn lucky with the kill shots.

Thanks for a great time Heruca and thanks for creating such great software.

Grey

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:43 am

I am ready for Marines vs Aliens III. :)

Grey

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Next time it will be a new scenario, called "Operations and the Air Ducts", with a new map, of course. And the Marines won't be limited to Flamethrowers and Pistols. Pulse rifles and grenades will be available. 8)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Madscientist
Cannon Fodder

Post by Madscientist » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:40 pm

This looks pretty sweet. I have to admit I just found out about your Battlegrounds engine and am interested in purchasing some licenses. I have a few friends who also enjoy the Aliens game, but somehow we only manage to get to play at the cons we have here locally. Its usually a matter of getting everyone together at one time, and this type of system would make it so much easier. I would gladly purchase a client license to test out this game. Depending on how it works, I would probably host my own games from time to time as well.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:47 pm

Welcome Madscientist.
Madscientist wrote:I would gladly purchase a client license to test out this game. Depending on how it works, I would probably host my own games from time to time as well.
A GM license gives you the ability both to host games and to join other people's games with no limitations.

A player license allows you to join games with no limitations.

A floating license allows a host (the GM) to temporarily remove the limitations from a player using the demo version.
(Basically the same as a player license, except owned by the GM instead of the player).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:36 pm

Welcome, Madscientist.

Unfortunately, due to copyright reasons I cannot distribute my Aliens conversion. I can't sell it, and I can't even give it away.

However, there's nothing stopping you from making your own conversion and playing it with your friends.

You'll find some nice token artwork here to get you started:
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... p?TID=3371
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... PN=0&TPN=4

You're welcome to play the next time I run this game, or even just sit in as a spectator if you want to see firsthand how it works.

Madscientist
Cannon Fodder

Post by Madscientist » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that.

I am currently reading through the manual now (in between doing actual work). I will probably finish it up tomorrow. I like what I see so far.

Thanks for the links to the artwork. If I do go for my own module, that will definitely start me out on the right foot.

ingeloak
Soldier

Post by ingeloak » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:05 am

i used to have this board game, and i had a blast. Apone was my favorite character, and my bro usually played Hicks. a couple of friends rounded out our group.

i discovered there was a fundamental flaw with the board: if you tried to go around the north side of the stairwell, you almost always took massive casualties, because due to the Aliens' movement, they appeared and landed right on you. that was usually guaranteed death/capture.

however, if you took your marines along the southern half of the stairs, and layered your fire correctly, Apone's and Hicks' awesome accuracy virtually guaranteed victory. Apone could vaporize anything that approached within 4-6 squares with his flamethrower, usually with 2 or less actions. Hicks was a close second in terms of lethality. i think Drake and Vasquez were nearly evenly matched for 3rd place, Vasquez slightly better.

i almost had to cheat and put out extra Aliens in order to really hurt the Marines if they took the south route.