Regular Demo Games for Marketing

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
Ayasho
Cannon Fodder

Regular Demo Games for Marketing

Post by Ayasho » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:43 am

Since this isn't really a s/w suggestion, it's more of a marketing/gaming suggestions, thought I would post here.

Might I suggest that the BG team host regular demo gaming sessions? For instance, I'm very intrigued, but want to try it out in a real-world game. I've checked the 'seeking' forumns, but not sure anything will come of my inquiries. And since I don't already have a running group, the demo option alone isn't sufficient (and I'm worried about the 45 minute time limit. The beer won't even be warm by then!)

So, the details of the suggestion go like this;
- Host monthly game sessions, varying the time & day since this is a global market you are reaching.
- Run a simple or well known game system(s)
- Run the same adventure over each time (or a couple of your well known favorites).
- Use pre-generated characters and all that

I think that would be pretty easy for you guys to do, just need a web sign-up form and a hot graphic on your home page. I suspect then a lot of the traffic you see will actually turn into customers because I suspect a lot of the traffic goes, "hmm, sounds cool, but too much trouble to see if I really want to invest the time and money."

Looking forward to trying this system out as I've been off table top games for years because of logistics and all that.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:52 am

Welcome, Ayasho.

A monthly demo has been suggested before, and it's a good idea. The problem is that there's not much of a BG team to support the idea. There's just me (and I spend most of my time coding) and there's Omnidon, who is a volunteer (he donates the server, maintains the forums, and helps out answering questions when I'm not around to do so) and he has projects of his own to work on.

I agree that demos would likely result in sales, and I would love to be able to host them. Usually, the best time for me is right after a new version has been released, before I get knee-deep into coding the next version. But this time, even though v1.0.9 just came out, I don't get to stop and relax, because v1.0.9a needs to be released soon to finish what v1.0.9 started.

Perhaps I can offer the incentive of complimentary BRPG licenses to a volunteer who steps forward to host official demos.

In the meantime, I suggest you try things out with the free demo and your gaming buddies who might be interested. Yes, it will time out every 45 minutes, but I can't imagine it would take more than a couple of sessions to determine whether BRPG is the VT solution you're looking for, or if it's missing some vital feature you can't live without.

Another somewhat more radical solution to your problem, would be for me to occasionally declare a "Free BRPG Day", where all Demos would be granted GM Client status for the day, and people like you who are "on the fence" could take advantage of that to try out the software without limits. With this scenario, either of the free adventures would be ideal for use, since they are ready-to-go, based on a popular system (D&D/d20), and even include pre-gen characters.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:36 am

Well, I plan on using BG for an OGT game over at fouruglymonsters, I've got Devin making tokens in addition to several I've made for Rifts. I'm really hoping to get this one off the ground. Just trying to do my part to spread the good word that is BG 8)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:15 pm

That's great to hear, tdwyer11b. The FUM boards always have OGTs for other VTs, so it'll be very nice to see a BG-based OGT for a change.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:10 pm

I'd be happy to help host demos - helps me learn the program, and more important than anything, increased support will in turn make a better program for me to use. I'm not made of free time - who are - but I think I can manage a night a month. Since I work shifts, I can even fix the time to make it Amercia-friendly (I'm in Europe myself).