"Zombie Plague" Game Club

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
heruca
Developer

"Zombie Plague" Game Club

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:02 pm

I figured it would be handy for people who want to play this game to have a place to go to find players/opponents.

Joining this "Game Club" is simple. Just post in this thread after reading the rulebook.

We can also use this thread to ask/answer rules questions, share custom rules and/or tokens, etc. Basically, anything relating to this game goes here, with the exception of Reviews, which should go in the Product Announcement thread (here for the BRPG version, or here for the BGE version).

Please be sure to specify whether you own BRPG, BGE, or both, and whether you have your own license or will be using the free Demo.

If you announce a game session you will be hosting and plan on using the Zombie Plague Expansion Pack, you should mention which Rules Variants you plan to use.
Last edited by heruca on Mon May 16, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:13 pm

I've attached a file that you can place in "BRPG\Card Decks\Saved Card Games\". This is my recommendation for a good, balanced deck of cards, which you can use as is, or tweak to your liking. I've omitted cards that (in my opinion) are either too unbalancing, items/weapons that wouldn't be found in a typical suburban home, or are just plain silly.

The card game is pre-configured for 4 players, but you can easily add or delete players as needed. I use it for solo games, since it saves a lot of setup time.

Note: Be sure to remove the ".txt" suffix from the attachment after you download it. I had to add it in order to attach the file to this post.
Attachments
Heruca's Deck.txt
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:55 pm

For those who like to know what the odds are in the game, this chart should help. It shows all the custom die faces of the four die types in Zombie Plague, so you can get an idea of how likely something is to succeed or fail.

Feel free to place this in your Library folder and/or Visual Aid folder, to reference it during a game.

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:09 am

Good fun. I've a few questions.

Does it cost anything to use an item, e.g. 1 AP, if nothing is specified.? For example if I have Flares, can I use this at any time, at the start of my turn, or by spending 1AP?

How many flares do you get when you find Flares? (Unlike some other cards it doesn't say 'One Use Only'.)

Comments for the rules:

I'd add an explicit note to the BRPG rulebook to say "Zombies cannot move backwards", as in the original game rules pdf. It's implied, but could be missed (I'd missed it until I read the original game rules).

The original rules state that a barricade can only be broken through by a zombie once four are lined up at the start of the next zombie player's turn. In the BRPG rules it doesn't mention this. Can this be clarified? (I was playing that when four were lined up any zombie that hadn't moved could break through.)

I played that with four human players the zombies could always spawn up to 16, but the rules could be interpreted as the maximum being the number of live humans times four. For example, if I was down to 2 humans I couldn't spawn more zombies if I had 8 or more. Can this be clarified?

EDIT: I found the answer to the last one in the FAQ, sorry. The maximum number reduces as the players are killed. Phew!

Spyke

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:09 pm

When playing ZP it's quickest to use the keyboard as much as possible. You can click Shift-Return to step the turn sequence, but although the next player token is highlighted you can't move until you click on it.

Could stepping the sequence also give the next token the focus?

This might need to be a game option, though I can't think why it would be a problem in other games.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for selecting the 'next' unit? (I imagine these would cycle in the order given in the unit manager.)

Spyke

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:28 pm

I just finished another solo game. Lost again! ;-)

Just under 90 minutes that time. Playing correctly and not respawning the zombies up to 16 once I'd started losing humans probably made the difference.

That game was going really well at one point, until Kirstie infected herself with the chainsaw...

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:57 pm

Spyke wrote:Does it cost anything to use an item, e.g. 1 AP, if nothing is specified.? For example if I have Flares, can I use this at any time, at the start of my turn, or by spending 1AP?

How many flares do you get when you find Flares? (Unlike some other cards it doesn't say 'One Use Only'.)
I play that each flare can be placed at a cost of 1 AP, and that it is an unlimited supply (flares go out so quickly that I felt unlimited ammo makes the card worth having).

Alternatively, you could also make an Attack roll as each flare is placed, and an "Oops!" result means you are out of flares.
Spyke wrote:I'd add an explicit note to the BRPG rulebook to say "Zombies cannot move backwards", as in the original game rules pdf. It's implied, but could be missed (I'd missed it until I read the original game rules).
Moving backwards is listed as a possible action for Humans, but it's not listed as a possible action for zombies. As you say, it's implied, but explicitly mentioning it is a good idea.
Spyke wrote:The original rules state that a barricade can only be broken through by a zombie once four are lined up at the start of the next zombie player's turn. In the BRPG rules it doesn't mention this. Can this be clarified? (I was playing that when four were lined up any zombie that hadn't moved could break through.)
The way I play it is that the Zombie Player can move his zombies in the most advantageous sequence possible, so I always move a (4th) zombie into contact with 3 other zombies already at a barricade, and then I move the lead zombie at the barricade, breaking through the barricade on that same turn.
Spyke wrote:I played that with four human players the zombies could always spawn up to 16, but the rules could be interpreted as the maximum being the number of live humans times four. For example, if I was down to 2 humans I couldn't spawn more zombies if I had 8 or more. Can this be clarified?

EDIT: I found the answer to the last one in the FAQ, sorry. The maximum number reduces as the players are killed. Phew!
The rulebook states it pretty clearly on page 5 of the PDF:
"The maximum number of zombies on the board is limited to 4 times
the number of human figures on the board. If the maximum number of zombies is on the board at the start of the Zombie Players turn, no new zombies may be placed."

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks for the answers, Heruca. Yes, the rulebook's fine on the zombie spawning maximum numbers; it was just me not reading it properly first time through.

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Spyke wrote:When playing ZP it's quickest to use the keyboard as much as possible. You can click Shift-Return to step the turn sequence, but although the next player token is highlighted you can't move until you click on it.

Could stepping the sequence also give the next token the focus?
Good point, I'll have to fix that. It's likely a problem that has been there for a while but isn't too evident until you try playing such a fast-moving game as this.

I find that it's fastest to move units with the mouse, and rotate them with the mousewheel. And I find "Shift-Return" faster at stepping the sequence than clicking on the Step button each time. Saving a second or so each time you step really adds up in the course of a long game.

As for the Chainsaw, yeah, it's a mixed blessing to get it. You're almost certain to die in the long run, but you're also almost certain to be the MVP that game. But I like it for the sound effects. :lol:

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:47 am

One other thing that would speed up ZP play: please could we have a keyboard shortcut for opening the Card Table?

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:53 pm

It's already in there: Shift-C

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:09 pm

heruca wrote:It's already in there: Shift-C
Excellent, thanks!

I think this needs to be added to the manual (and possibly the command menu).

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Yep. The hotkey was just added in v1.4j, which came out right after the revised User Manual. I'll be sure to add it when the manual goes final.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:18 am

Happy Halloween, folks! Anyone up for a game of Zombie Plague today? If interested, post what time you're available (include your time zone).

I'm planning on hosting using BRPG v1.4L.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:19 pm

Ditto the above post, except I'll be using BRPG v1.6k. Any takers?

Anyone can play, even using just the free Demo (i.e, no license required).

Oh, and voice chat (either Skype or Ventrilo) will be used, so you'll need a mic.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 16, 2011 12:35 pm

I've edited the OP to include mention of the BGE version of ZP, and of the Expansion Pack.

Dillon88
Cannon Fodder

Post by Dillon88 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:48 am

Zombie Plague is quick, fun and versatile. It lends itself to roleplay and solo play, simply have the zombies do what zombies do - rush
towards any human activity. The rules are easily modified to suit the sort of game you might want; eg fast zombies, etc. You can play on the downloadable boards, on your own board, on a grid system with 3D buildings, or (with a tinker to the rules) on a diorama-standard table.

Zombie Plague was a fun intro to what I wanted from a zombie game but after playing it a few times I realised that it wouldnt have the unpredictability and speed that I wanted from a bigger game. This is no reflection on ZP (as a print-n-play its great!) but I wrote my own interpretation that is less old-fashioned slow zombie and is (I think) closer to a composite of the faster I AM LEGEND - 28 DAYS scenarios and styles.
Last edited by Dillon88 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:45 am

Welcome, Dillon88.

I find that whenever I'm in the mood for a game where I want to try to escape from horde of faster-than-the-PCs creatures, I just play the Aliens boardgame. Guess I just like my zombies slow.