[WIP] - Dungeon Run

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
koivosk
Cannon Fodder

Post by koivosk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Would be very interested to get my hands on the finished product!

I had a great weekend with some out-of-town friends playing this game, and would love to play it with them over the internet!

I actually had planned to scan my own copy of the game and play in MapTools, without the fancy deck drawing ability.. I was just gonna number each dungeon tile, encounter and treasure card, and use a dice roll to determine which one would come up next :D So ghetto, I know.. :D

Let me know when you would be ready to distribute, and how to work the program.

EDIT: Actually, first I should ask if I (and others) would have to purchase the BGE client for this to work? If so... Then I wonder if you could just send me the scanned images, so I could use them in MapTools, and save the bother of doing it myself? Pwetty pwease.. :D

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Someone in your group need to buy the application. Witch is fine and good. BUT.. if you wish to install it on more than none computer you need to buy multi versions of it. witch really really really really sucks. As I own a laptop a workstation and a game system in the tv room.. So I guess I am expected to buy it three times to play something I already bought legally.. I am resigned to this :(

Still, as far as sharing my scans.. in truth i feel a little iffy about that. I am a designer of games myself, as in published and I have strong feelings about so called community applications like "VASSLE" that allow everyone to play 100% for free. It is a complex issue as there are strong arguments it increases sales.

Still I also make a lackeyCCG plugin for a few FFG LCG games, and Sentinels of the Multiverse.... all three of those games I have official permission for. If I get this from Pladhat games I'll send you the data.

One of the reasons I liked this app was that it had neat features, but also there was a measure of protection to source files, so you could invite others to play but they couldn't play with out buying the app.. so as you play other people you are not really spreading piracy.

In fact a awesome feature would be add ZIP compression to the source files and allow passwords on them so this would be 100% true.

In short.. no I will not share the scans.. sorry.. not until I get permission from the developers.

I'll contact them soon once I finish it. .I haven't had time to tweak it for ages.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:53 am

Tragic wrote:One of the reasons I liked this app was that it had neat features, but also there was a measure of protection to source files, so you could invite others to play but they couldn't play with out buying the app.. so as you play other people you are not really spreading piracy.

In fact a awesome feature would be add ZIP compression to the source files and allow passwords on them so this would be 100% true.
That sort of protection is already in the app. See pg. 124 of the BGE User Manual, which shows how you can use a password when creating the external game media bundle. It does not use Zip compression, as you suggested, but it still provides a means of locking users out of the media unless you give them the password, or the actual Game File.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 am

Welcome, koivosk.

The purchase of a BGE license is not strictly required in order to play games using BGE, since every copy of BGE comes with anywhere between 1 and 15 free Player Slots.

But you DO have to know someone who owns BGE so that they can host the game, in which case you can join in and play using just the free BGE Demo.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

koivosk
Cannon Fodder

Post by koivosk » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 pm

heruca wrote:Welcome, koivosk.

The purchase of a BGE license is not strictly required in order to play games using BGE, since every copy of BGE comes with anywhere between 1 and 15 free Player Slots.

But you DO have to know someone who owns BGE so that they can host the game, in which case you can join in and play using just the free BGE Demo.
I'm just not inclined to pay 30 dollars more to play a game I already own on the internet :S

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for the next meet up with my friends... We do play D&D over the internet, so I guess that'll have to do now. Dungeon Run would've just been perfect for times when there's not enough time for D&D.

I'll still check this topic every now and then, in case I decide to buy the client. Though my job contract is about to expire and I'm out of savings... :D

Tragic
Captain

Re: Finished

Post by Tragic » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Finally getting around to finishing this off... Been using it but been meaning ot adjust these player markers for a while.

heruca wrote:I have no idea why you are doing what you are doing. That looks like a good course of action if you were trying to import all of your media, but theoretically you have already imported it all when you laid out your components, portraits, etc.
Tragic wrote:to get the export working i need to have every single GFX loaded right.. but when we play we only need certian files at a time.. like I thought I would only need to load a monster marker when a monster spwns.. not have them all loaded to teh screen and off the table for teh entire game..

Just a little confused on this point on how to pack and play with the data.
Reading back over this, I get the impression that maybe you have not created Deployment files for the stuff that doesn't start on the game board and might or might not be used in any given game. So the first order of business would be to make those Deployment files.

Then just follow the instructions in my previous post.

I'll give you an example:
You are making a chinese checkers game. You don't know if there will be one player or six players, or anything in between, nor do you know which checker colors will be used. So your "Basic Setup" game file would really have only the board, with no checkers on it.

Then you would lay out all the red checkers in their proper start position and save them to a deployment file. Do the same for each color of checkers.

Now you are ready to export the game media.

1. Load up a copy of the "Basic Setup" file.
2. Load all 6 Deployment files (one for each color or checkers; now you have all your components loaded at once)
3. Save your game file
4. Export the media bundle

The result is a single media bundle containing ALL the game components, many of which won't be used in every single game session, but you still need the media to be available just in case.

Once the game is distributed, a host would load the "Basic Setup" game file, then load the appropriate number of Deployment files depending on how many people are playing and what color of checkers they wish to use.

Make sense?
So...

1) I load the app and it is the default screen.. I then set it up by loading my components for only the stuff that is common to every game you play no matter what.
2) I then save a game file lets say "DungeonRun-Base"
3) Then I load up the other components and then save them individually as deployment files.
4) Then I load up the Game File
5) Then I load all the components so they are all on the screen at once.
6) Save a new Game file.. sat "DungeonRun-ALL"
7) Click the "B" and select "Export Game Media"

Is that right... cause it aint working??

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:12 pm

What part isn't working, exactly? Step 7?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Very nice player markers, by the way.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:06 pm

I'll let you know in a sec.. I ma just adding some final touches to some other components...

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:13 pm

No sure if you can embed youtube on this site.. but here is a demo of the plugin so far.. it is pretty much done... I might adjust teh size of the player cards.. but I think it is pretty much ready!!

http://youtu.be/WaB8sPLZOEU

heruca
Developer

Re: [WIP] - Dungeon Run

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:31 pm

I think for some reason I never saw your last post in this thread (otherwise I would have commented).

Very cool that you created a demo video for this game conversion. I just stumbled across it on YouTube and was coming to post the link in the right thread, LOL!

Any word from Plaid Hat regarding releasing this game conversion publicly?