Conversion of DVG's Warfighter

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
rab46
Captain

Conversion of DVG's Warfighter

Post by rab46 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:10 pm

I received DVG's Warfighter as a Christmas gift and converted it into a module so I could play it in BGE. Here is a screenshot of my latest game:
Warfighter.jpg
Last Turn
Warfighter.jpg (202.96 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
The objective was to clear the last location of bad guys and take out the cartel boss. I ran out of time but I was so outnumbered that I would have lost regardless of the number of turns I had!

heruca
Developer

Re: Conversion of DVG's Warfighter

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Sweet choice of game! I wonder if DVG would allow you to make this available here...

Is this just the base game, or did you also port one or more of the expansions?

Surprised you didn't use the playmat (official or otherwise) and/or the "bullet dice".
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Guess I could ask them about making the module available. I don't think that any of their games are freely available as Vassal modules. Some of their titles are available as Vassal modules but to obtain one you have to purchase it (if I remember correctly it's something like $3o) which I think may be part of their business model. Assume they are worried about protecting their IP. If you would like to discuss further, shoot me an email or PM and we can pursue it.

This is only the core game. The expansion card decks look to be $20 each. Haven't decided if I'll purchase any of the expansion packs. I might go after the WW2 version of this game instead. It's more the era I'm interested in. We'll see though. I plan to start a campaign with this modern era core game. Who knows, I might get hooked on the modern era!

Decided not to use the play mat they provided for a couple of reasons. Mostly I just wanted to get to playing the game and not spend a lot of time scanning and stitching scans together. As it was I spent 8 hours scanning and converting counters and cards and throwing this together. The play mat is pretty big. If I were to distribute this I'd probably spend the time to incorporate the play mat but this was serviceable.

Ah, the bullet dice. I don't like them. They are hard to read and rather gimmicky (is that a word?) and in my opinion detract from the game. Actually, they are the main reason I decided to port this game on Christmas day so I could play it. I planned to play a few games on a table using the physical components then make the conversion, but I only have 1 10 sided die in my possession. The game ships with 3 10 sided bullet dice and I figured that's what I needed. So I thought the heck with it, I'll convert it and then I can have as may 10 sided dice as I want!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:21 pm

I bought the base game and the first three expansions. Then the WW2 version came out on Kickstarter, and I regretted my original purchase. I'm much more into the WW2 genre than modern.

This game, with at least some expansions, is already out on Tabletop Simulator.

:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Don't know much about this program but it looks interesting. Looks like they have a pretty active community though. I'm half tempted to buy a copy of tabletop simulator just to play with it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Ah, TTS. There's another purchase I regret having made. But when I saw how they were copying features from BGE (e.g. Views), I just had to have a closer look.

Think I've had it about 4-5 months and racked up a whole 24 minutes of use. I tried a game I was intimately familiar with (Aliens boardgame), and I found the experience so fiddly and frustrating that I just gave up on the whole thing.

If you're going to get it, at least wait for it to go on sale (which happens fairly frequently).

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:32 pm

My initial impression when I ran across it several months ago was that it was a lot of eye candy but not a whole lot of substance. Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait a while and see where it ends up. I'm in no real hurry since I really like working with BGE.