Call for help: Need photos from projector users

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:27 pm

heruca wrote:
dontadow wrote:Found the instructions in the new book, but it doesnt seem to work for me. Also has a disclaimer that says it still is a work in process. Is there a version mmore updated that rc2a
Ah, and then there's the fact that the User Manual is so up-to-date, it's ahead of the software, LOL!

Zooming is controlled via the mousewheel, or alternatively, by hotkeys (but I think the hotkeys weren't working under Windows in one or more versions). I'll see about getting you a newer version of the software where that works.
cool i have a solution for the problem so its not a big deal. I"m going to probably buy a floating lisence this weekend. Will the sale continue until then.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:20 pm

Yes, the sale will continue for at least a month after release, probably two.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:31 pm

Retook pics see next post
Last edited by dontadow on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:50 pm

Hmm, looks like your digital camera isn't very well-suited to taking pictures in low-light situations. It's prolonging the exposure so long that you're getting pretty severe motion blur as a result. You'll either need a steady tripod, or brighter ambient light.

I can fix slightly washed out projector images in Photoshop, if needed, so you might want to try again with the room lights on.

Is it impossible to get a half-decent shot of the map and the projector in the shot at the same time? Seems that way.

What's the focus problem due to? A limitation of the projector in that setup/environment?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

3d6+15
Cannon Fodder

Post by 3d6+15 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:12 pm

I actually can't take any pictures until my camera gets back from Scotland. I forgot the wife has it.

(That and I need to zoom too.)

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:56 am

heruca wrote:Hmm, looks like your digital camera isn't very well-suited to taking pictures in low-light situations. It's prolonging the exposure so long that you're getting pretty severe motion blur as a result. You'll either need a steady tripod, or brighter ambient light.

I can fix slightly washed out projector images in Photoshop, if needed, so you might want to try again with the room lights on.

Is it impossible to get a half-decent shot of the map and the projector in the shot at the same time? Seems that way.

What's the focus problem due to? A limitation of the projector in that setup/environment?
Its suppose to be a good digital campera but I'm oblivious how to use it. My girlfriend though is going to take some more (better pictures) tonight. She does minis and does the photography for them to sell. I was just too impatient last night to wait on her ;).

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:58 am

heruca wrote:Hmm, looks like your digital camera isn't very well-suited to taking pictures in low-light situations. It's prolonging the exposure so long that you're getting pretty severe motion blur as a result. You'll either need a steady tripod, or brighter ambient light.

The blur is from the camera, the image looks pretty cllear from the projector. I followed 3d6's advice he gave a year ago about shooting the projector about using the computer cord and not the svideo cord for projecting maps.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:39 am

dontadow wrote:Its suppose to be a good digital campera but I'm oblivious how to use it. My girlfriend though is going to take some more (better pictures) tonight. She does minis and does the photography for them to sell. I was just too impatient last night to wait on her ;).
Heh, yeah, I'd say she's qualified. :lol:

Looking forward to the new pics.

Could you include something in the shots that indicates that it's Battlegrounds being used? Suggestions: digital figures (with their distinctive bases and facing indicator), perhaps an AoE, or the red Battlegrounds icon in the corner of the screen? Best of all would be having Fog of War enabled. Maybe some shots could show real minis in use and others using digital minis.

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:40 am

I'm having some issues with the connections in battlegrounds so i didnt get to post any from there, but did get some nice setup pics.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:07 pm

Post your issue in the Customer Support forum, and I'll try to get your problem sorted out. Include as much detail as you can about what exactly is giving you a problem and what your system setup is.

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:57 am

Cool I will, its been a busy weekend and I needed to get it working for themost part at least for the weekend, but I still do some more playing around and testing this week pin point my exact problem.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:06 pm

Im just reading this post now.

Do want photos of face-to-face games using Laptops out to a TV Screen?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:15 pm

HDTV or projector. A regular TV screen is probably too low-res to look very good.

It would help if gamers were in the shot and they seem to be playing in an actual game session. But if all you can get is the hardware setup, that's ok, too. Thanks, Venger.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:36 pm

I will bring my camera to the next game session and photograph those hooligans and misfits who call themselves my friends while we are using BRPG in one of our upcoming scenarios

Should be easy enough...
HDTV or projector. A regular TV screen is probably too low-res to look very good.
Ohhhh, by the way, my buddy we recently discovered, has a VGA connection on his TV so that I can go directly out of the laptop into his TV, completely bypassing the TVIEW device.

So what you get is a much clearer picture.

So in effect here is my current setup...

Two laptops networked via crossover ethernet cable.

GM Workstation w/ExternalHDD- running BRPG GM Client, Campaign Cartographer and my MERP utility.
I have TVIEW connected out my external video and into the TV's composite LINE input. (for viewing Campaign Cartographer overland maps, output of the MERP game utility, multimedia or whatever)

-

Player Workstation- running BRPG Floating Player license, and Office Suite out to TV Screen's SVGA Input, displaying Player workstation video in VGA mode

Then, we use the TV's remote control to switch to whichever input we want to see.

This works particularly well because then I have a Folder mapped on my External HDD for the character's use, where I place copies of all maps, pictures and character sheets (excel) and other documents they find in game so they can load them and view them at their discretion.

They can create Wordpad or other documents to keep notes during the game.

One of the players operate the Player laptop for these things so I dont have to pull up any previous game document that they want to reference on the GM workstation at all. which caused delays in the past.

Ohh and if that isnt geeky enough, I even have a laser pointer that I use to point out things on the TV monitor since I dont have mouse control over the Player laptop (yet)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Nice setup.

Mouse control on the player's laptop is easily achieved, if you don't mind installing some free software on both systems. You basically just move your mouse off one edge of your screen and it magically appears on the laptop's screen. If you're interested, I can get you the name of the software that does this.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:05 pm

Ok, yes please.
That would pretty much complete the setup I think.

We will be gaming in three weeks unless something comes up and I will post pics here the following day or two later.

I have a really good digital SLR camera, Olympus Evolt, so I should get some decent pics

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:02 pm

heruca wrote:Mouse control on the player's laptop is easily achieved, if you don't mind installing some free software on both systems. You basically just move your mouse off one edge of your screen and it magically appears on the laptop's screen. If you're interested, I can get you the name of the software that does this.
Finally found it, Venger:
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Mac OS X users might want to read this, too:
http://www.tuaw.com/2005/06/03/how-to-d ... h-synergy/
http://software.landryhetu.com/synergy/

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:15 pm

Thank you Heruca.
I d/l it and will give it a shot

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:31 am

Bump.

Anyone....Bueller?

thekidxii
Cannon Fodder

Post by thekidxii » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:08 pm

ummm are there any pics of the projector setup?
or is my connection not letting them through?

cheers,
kid

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:35 pm

Welcome, thekidxii.

Nope, no one has yet submitted any pics. :(

I can point you to pics of projector gaming setups elsewhere on the web, if you want, but none that is using Battlegrounds specifically, unfortunately. And that's a real shame, considering I made this program with projector users in mind.

bojangles
Cannon Fodder

Post by bojangles » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:59 am

Hey Heruca, I'll post some pics of my setup next gaming session. Should be in 2 weeks. I get obsessive with my projects, so I went the extra mile.

What I have is a table that is 5.5' by 5.5', with a storage area below for each of the players. I still wanted to use physical minis, so having a projector above bothered me. The map would be projected onto the minis and whatever books or handouts happened to be on the playing surface. So I placed the projector below and used opaque plexi-glass to project onto. There are a few other things I did too (like make it able to be disassembled) but I think the pictures will explain better.

boj

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:43 am

Welcome, bojangles.

That sounds like an awesome setup. Do you have an entire room of your house dedicated to gaming? Can't wait to see the pics!

bojangles
Cannon Fodder

Post by bojangles » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:50 pm

Yeah most of our garage is devoted to it. Surround sound, shelves, full deal. I'll be sure to take pics of everything.

Kessel
Cannon Fodder

Wow.

Post by Kessel » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:08 pm

Bojangles: you're my hero. Your players are lucky, lucky dudes.