BRPG for wargames

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
Gwindel
Captain

BRPG for wargames

Post by Gwindel » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:59 pm

Whilst I intend to use BPRG for rpgs, I think that it should be perfect for skirmishing wargaming (which is not different from RPG combat and indeed easier to play) and to campaign movements for miniatures wargames (at least until Bwargames is out).
Here is a partial screenshot to show how it looks:
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:17 pm

Very cool! I was hoping someone would post something here, eventually. :)

I like those icons. In beta 1.0.3, you'll be able to turn off the figure bases, to get rid of the facing indicators.

This also makes me think that it might be neat to be able to flip icons horizontally, so that your units can face in either direction without you having to use a separate graphic.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:27 pm

For skirmishing the facing indicator is useful, but for campaign purpose, it would be much better without.
For skirmishing purpose, transparent bases with facing indicator is the best choice I think.
This kind of figures could also be used in rpg for moving on a regional map (trying to avoid patrols, searching for someone, pursuing...) with just one icon to represent the group. It could be even better if the players don't know the map and using a light radius to represent their field of view.
I intended to make all the minis in two flavours (right and left oriented) to show which side they are on, but if they could be flipped it would be even better.
When I'll have more of the icons made (they are just my cardboard figures resized and saved as png), I'll post them if anybody is interested. But they shall be very small given the use I intend for them.
The map is just a parchment colored background with an island boudary drawn upon it and the symbols from free fonts added. It is intended for an ARES campaign (nothing to do with the minis I tested on it).
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:41 pm

I hadn't really thought about it, but there's absolutely no reason that the Fog of War feature couldn't be used on campaign-scaled maps as well.

I don't know if anyone has bothered to dig around in BRPG's Preferences folder yet, but the files in there are user-editable so that you can define your own light radiuses and such (radii is probably more correct). Of course, there's no visible effect on the map yet of your light sources, but it's still neat that the functionality is already in place. Anyway, my point was that you can also define visibility ranges for campaign-scale maps. So scouts or fliers could see farther than other units, for example.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.