Upcoming Plans

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
ronin
Soldier

Post by ronin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:23 pm

I am having issues establishing a connection with another laptop during our session. Is there anything common that I need to turn off to help with the connection? I have my IP address and a port as well.

Any suggestions?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:07 pm

Have you set up port forwarding on the host computer? Is the connecting client on your LAN, or coming in via an internet connection? If the latter, did you give the client your internal IP or your external IP? Do you have anything installed that might be blocking your port, like ZoneAlarm?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ronin
Soldier

Post by ronin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:21 pm

I know my external and internal IP addresses but I have no clue how to enable port forwarding. I think that may be the issue.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:25 pm

Check out www.portforward.com.

http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... rindex.htm

Click on your router brand and model for instructions.

Look here for an example with a Linksys router:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=174
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ronin
Soldier

Post by ronin » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:19 pm

I am officially up and running! The session went very well and the projector set up combined with BG saves a ton of time that used to be spent drawing maps (or setting up these plaster walls we bought at GC last year). Add in the fact that the maps look great and it's been a worthwhile investment all around. I have another player logged in with his laptop and he scrolls the map that the players see during the session so I don't have to worry about it.

I think my next move is to start using sounds in a couple of sessions to enhance the game even further. Once I do that I'll let you know how it goes. If I can get off my lazy rear end I'll post some pictures of my set up. I built a sort of "hangman's noose" stand to get my mirror in front of the projector since I didn't want to permanently attach it to the ceiling. My friends have been giving me a hard time about it since they have seen it.

Thanks for all of the input!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:13 am

Excellent. Looking forward to the pics.

Don't forget that as the GM you can force the players' view, if you want.

ronin
Soldier

Post by ronin » Tue May 01, 2007 12:05 am

heruca wrote:Excellent. Looking forward to the pics.

Don't forget that as the GM you can force the players' view, if you want.
I am not sure what you mean by "forcing" the players view. I reveal the map as they move thru the area. The player on the other laptop just makes sure the stuff I reveal is always centered on our playing surface (a white sheet of posterboard works well for this I found out).

Am I missing something?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 01, 2007 12:20 am

Ah, if you use real minis, forcing views is probably not for you.

But normally, if you are hosting and there's at least one person connected, you can double-click the map and you'll see a Force View command. Selecting that matches the client's zoom level and map centerpoint to the GM's.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed May 02, 2007 8:26 am

heruca wrote:Selecting that matches the client's zoom level and map centerpoint to the GM's.
No not quite; it matches the centerpoint to the point at which the GM doubleclicked.

(Or at least that's what happened when I was testing with Mahhand)