BRPG v1.0.9 beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

BRPG v1.0.9 beta released

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:07 am

BRPG v1.0.9 is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being. In fact, it will never leave beta status, because a v1.0.9a is already planned.

This is a full install, not a patch.

The main features of this update are:
¢ Dice Macros have been added, as well as support for many new dice mechanics, such as open-ended rolls, mixing die types and die colors, counting successes, looking up roll results on tables, etc.
¢ Dice now come in sets and use a "plug-in" format, so you can disable dice that you don't need
¢ 11 new dice colors
¢ FUDGE dice added
¢ Snap-to-Grid now works on hex grids
¢ Mac users now have mouse wheel support, too
¢ A screenshot feature was added
¢ New figure bases are available, including bases without a facing indicator, for both square grids and hex grids
¢ The GM can now assign objects to players, so that they can move and control them.
¢ Bug fixes

The format for Encounters and Deployments has changed since v1.0.8a. Files created in older versions of BRPG will need to be updated before they can be used. Failing to update them will result in errors or failure to load.

As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details.

Download BRPG v1.0.9 here:
(be sure to get the right one for your platform)
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/BRPGv109Win.zip
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/BRPGv109Mac.zip

Installation instructions are included in each zip file.

Note: BRPG v1.0.9 has had a lot of significant changes and additions, and has not been as thoroughly tested as other releases. It probably should not be used for actual games until it has been given a thorough workout, particularly if you use the die rolling features, since it is possible that there may be bugs in the new die rolling code.

Another difference between v1.0.9 and previous releases is that, due to time constraints, v1.0.9 does not contain any sample Encounters or Deployment files, nor does it contain any sample Reference Tables to look up die roll results on. These missing elements will be made available soon as a separate download, as will a tutorial video for the new Dice Macro features.

Edit: Here's a tutorial video that walks you through the new Dice Macro features:
Small Version
Large Version

It's around 16 minutes long. I suggest you right-click the link and select to download it to disk, rather than try to play the video in your browser. QuickTime is required to view it (or some other media player that supports H.264 encoding).
Last edited by heruca on Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:48 am

got it!!! long live the hard core BGers

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:16 pm

Whoo hoo! I'm next!
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

nijineko
Soldier

Post by nijineko » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:47 pm

checking it out. =D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:46 am

Edited the OP with a link to a tutorial video that walks you through the new Dice Macro features.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:24 am

Heh, interesting to finally hear your voice. :P

I found the dice roller to be fairly intuitive, but there were a still couple things I didn't know mentioned in the tutorial.

Unfortunately, I felt the video was a bit too wordy and drawn out. I expect very few people will have the patience to sit through it.

For future videos, I think it would be better to divide them into smaller topic-based segments or chapters. That will allow you to go into greater detail about each feature while still allowing users to seek out only the information they're interested in.

If you are worried about having too many separate files, I can condense them into a single flash presentation with transitions, or we can make a video tutorial section in the forum.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:26 am

I've uploaded a smaller version of the video, now. See the opening post.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Holy crap ... (sorry) ... that just blew me away Heruca :shock:

I have to find a way to use this in my offline game 8) :D

heruca
Developer

Re: BRPG v1.0.9 beta released

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:29 pm

heruca wrote:Another difference between v1.0.9 and previous releases is that, due to time constraints, v1.0.9 does not contain any sample Encounters or Deployment files, nor does it contain any sample Reference Tables to look up die roll results on. These missing elements will be made available soon as a separate download, as will a tutorial video for the new Dice Macro features.
As promised, here is a Zip file containing the files that were not included in v1.0.9:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/Missi ... r_v109.zip