BRPG v1.2a beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

BRPG v1.2a beta released

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:33 am

BRPG v1.2a is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

This is a full install, not a patch.

The main features of this update are:
¢ Improved-resolution grid graphics, figure bases, figure halos, and movement guides
¢ Enhanced Vision types are now customizable
¢ Media bundles are now automatically imported on demand
¢ Added an optional on-screen button interface
¢ Fog of War enhancements, including support for beam-shaped light sources
¢ Bug fixes

The format for Encounters has changed since v1.2. Encounters created in older versions of BRPG will be automatically updated to the new format when loaded. The format for Deployments has not changed.

As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details.

Download BRPG v1.2a here:
Windows version: http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/BRPGv1_2aWin.zip
Mac version: http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/BRPGv1_2aMac.zip

Installation instructions are included in each zip file.
heruca wrote:Important Note:
Due to a number of bug reports that have already come in, I don't recommend anyone use v1.2a for actual gaming. This is a beta, after all, and it turns out that this release contains some flaws.

However, any testing and bug reports you all can do will greatly assist me in providing a patch promptly. So please, if you have the time, keep plugging away at v1.2a and let me know what needs fixing.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Nice ... working on a large encounter, so will use 1.2a for that now :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Instructions for modifying existing Encounters so that their media bundles are automatically imported when needed:

1. If you have not already created a media bundle for the Encounter, go ahead and do so using your previous BRPG version.

2. Copy the Encounter file over into the BRPG v1.2a "Encounters" folder.

3. Move the media bundle you created into the BRPG v1.2a "Media Asset Bundles" folder.

4. Load the Encounter in BRPG v1.2a. It will be automatically updated to the new Encounter format and resaved.

5. Open the Encounter file in a word processor (Notepad or TextEdit will do).

6. Edit the file by typing in the name of your media bundle in the space indicated in red below.

7. Save your Encounter. You're done. Now if you load the Encounter in BRPG v1.2a, the media assets will automatically be imported.

In the example below, I've highlighted the data within the first set of brackets in green. You want to add your media bundle's filename within the second to last set of quotes in this section (marked in red).
  • [[2, 10, "Grass", "Square", 1, "Camp Guard", 0, 0, 65, 1, 1, 40, 40, 0, 0, rgb( 0, 0, 0 ), [12, 8], "", [[]], 0, "Manual and Dynamic", 5, "Feet", "type the name of your media bundle here", ""], [5, "Pond 2", 335.5, 518.5, 0, "Object", 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, "Pond", 100, 71, 0, 0, "GM", "", 0, [], [], [], [], 0, 1, 0, 0, "4 1b2d600", [], 0, 1, [], []],(...continues)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:08 pm

Known Issue:
There are three buttons on the new Command panel that can give you an error message when clicked, apparently due to some strange Director bug that doesn't allow a window to be opened if the call comes from another window rather than from the main program (the Map window). The affected buttons are "Card Table", "Draw Tools" and "Roll Dice".

How to avoid the issue:
1. Close the Command panel.
2. Select "Card Table" from the BG button's popup menu, then close the Card Table window that opened.
3. Select "Roll Dice" from the BG button's popup menu, then close the Dice Macro window that opened.
4. Select "Draw Tools" from the BG button's popup menu (or press the [D] hotkey), then close the draw tools palette.
5. Open the Command panel from the BG button's popup menu. You can now use the "Card Table", "Draw Tools", and "Roll Dice" buttons without issue for the remainder of the BRPG session.

Edit: Update the above to include the "Draw Tools" button.
Last edited by heruca on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:36 pm

Cheers heruca I'd worked out the Dice one but the Encounters one is a massive save I'll have to send round another email to my group to say we can try 1.2a now
:D
the idea of rebuilding so many encounter files by Saturday wasn't a nice one...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:47 am

Important Note:
Due to a number of bug reports that have already come in, I don't recommend anyone use v1.2a for actual gaming. This is a beta, after all, and it turns out that this release contains some flaws.

However, any testing and bug reports you all can provide will greatly assist me in providing a patch promptly. So please, if you have the time, keep plugging away at v1.2a and let me know what needs fixing.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:37 pm

The Known Issue mentioned above is already fixed for v1.2b.