BRPG v1.3f beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

BRPG v1.3f beta released

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:03 am

BRPG v1.3f is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

v1.3f fixes a number of bugs that were found in v1.3e, and also adds quite a few new features that were requested by users.

The main features of this update are:
¢ Support for D&D 4th Edition light rules
¢ Support for D&D 4th Edition Area of Effect templates (Burst, Blast, and Wall effects)
¢ Added reporting of dice rolls in the Chat window
¢ Numerous improvements to the Chat window, including color-coded text, chat aliases, die rolling from the Chat window, and a new "Narrator" voice (for emotes & actions)
¢ A unit's Status can now be set directly from the Turn Sequencer
¢ Added triangle-shaped hex bases
¢ Six-sided dice with pips (instead of digits) are now included as an option
¢ A new animation ("Animated Fire") has been included with BRPG
¢ Bug fixes

The format for Encounters and Deployments has not changed since v1.3e. The "User Cast.cxt" file has changed, so using the "User Cast.cxt" file from a prior BRPG version will not work.

This is a full install, and no patch version is planned, due to the number of files that have been added in various directories.

Download BRPG v1.3f here:
Windows version (126.2 MB)
Mac version (131.2 MB)

Installation instructions are included in each download.

Edit: A file was mistakenly omitted from both of the Zip files listed above. Click here to download the missing file. After unzipping it, place this file in BRPG's folder.

Although the ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the v1.3f download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.

Version History:
v1.3f

¢ Optimized Fog of War rendering to make it slightly faster than before, in all modes.
¢ Added triangle-shaped hex bases in all the supported base colors.
¢ Added triangle-shaped hex status halos in all the supported status colors.
¢ Added a new Movement Guide graphic to support the new triangle-shaped hex bases.
¢ Added support for D&D 4th Edition light rules.
¢ Added D&D 4th Edition Area of Effect templates for marking close burst, area burst, blast, and wall effects.
¢ Added a new dynamic text label to the Labels menu of a figure's contextual popup menu, for displaying a figure-owner's name.
¢ Added reporting of die rolls in the Chat window. Dice roll reports are shown in blue, to set them apart from regular chat messages.
¢ Added the ability to show separate totals for the primary dice and the secondary dice in a dice macro.
¢ Made some cosmetic improvements to the Chat window, including a slightly darker background color, improved button images, and anti-aliasing of the text labels and the text in the Chat Output pane. The Macro button is now located above the Bell button, and a button layout issue on Player Clients has been addressed.
¢ The Connection Panel now allows you to choose the color of your chat text from a list of 10 colors.
¢ Change: Out-of-Character text chat is now always in grey.
¢ The GM may now dynamically create "Chat As..." aliases, so that he/she can speak as an NPC without having to deploy a token to represent the NPC. Chat aliases last for the entire session, but they can also be individually deleted when they are no longer needed.
¢ Added a "Narrator" voice to the Chat window, which allows the GM and the players to type narrative text entries that aren't prefaced by a character's name and a colon. Narrative text always appears in bold text, to set it apart from dialogue. For the GM, narrative text is always in black. For the players, it's in their chosen chat color.
¢ Added four sets of d6s with pips (instead of digits) in white, blue, red, and black. The pip dice are disabled by default, but they're available if you prefer to use them.
¢ Added a button to the Chat window that enables you to either load a dice macro or to auto-roll it (by holding down the Shift key while clicking the button).
¢ Global dice macros may now be attached to a selected unit by holding down the Shift key in the dice macro configuration screen prior to clicking on the "Save macro" button. The button''s text will change to say "Attach macro".
¢ Added the ability to change the status of a unit by clicking on its status color chip in the Turn Sequencer. A menu will appear that allows you to select the new status.
¢ Added a text label that indicates when BRPG is being run in Demo Mode (in which case the program will automatically quit after 45 minutes). This is primarily to help troubleshoot an issue that some users have reported about the program timing out despite a valid license being used.
¢ Added a new object in the "Objects" folder, called "Animated Fire".
¢ Change: Out-of-Character chat no longer renders in italics in the Chat window. Now only private messages render in italics.
¢ Bug fix: In the Dice Roller, changing the number of percentile dice in a roll no longer changes the dice to d10s.
¢ Bug fix: Rolling percentile dice now works again.
¢ Bug fix: The grid overlay no longer disappears if it was visible when an Encounter was loaded.
¢ Bug fix: When selecting a category in the "Send Audio" panel, choosing a category from an artpack was not properly previewing the first audio asset.
¢ Bug fix: Audio from an artpack was not being played when the "Select" button was pressed.
¢ Bug fix: Changing a figure's base color/type while in hex mode no longer resets a large base to a 1-hex base.
¢ Bug fix: A player stepping the sequence can no longer cause a server-loaded map to reload on the GM Client.
¢ Bug fix: Auto-rolling dice macros by holding down the Shift key while selecting them should now work properly, even if it's the first time that particular dice macro is used.
¢ Bug fix: Loading or auto-rolling a figure's dice macro no longer causes an error if that dice macro has already been used once that session.
¢ Bug fix: Loading units that have a hex base onto a map with a square grid, and loading units that have a square base onto a map with a hex grid, no longer causes an error. The unit bases are now automatically remapped to the nearest equivalent base size.
¢ Bug fix: When duplicating a figure that is designated as attacking or as a target, the cloned unit no longer inherits these conditions.
¢ Bug fix: Percentages for "Fractional Cells Wide" and "Fractional Cells High" are now properly displayed in the Map Settings panel.
¢ Bug fix: Addressed a situation in which certain commands would fail silently (no error message would be shown), causing other code to never be executed.
¢ Bug fix: The new column order is now retained after re-ordering columns in the Turn Sequencer Setup Wizard.
¢ Bug fix: Auto-rolled dice macros now retain their private status, if the roll was not being sent to everyone.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:21 am

yay

:D
Running 5 player D&D 4E campaign over the net using BRPG 1.4e

Balesir
General

Re: BRPG v1.3f beta released

Post by Balesir » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:04 am

Woo - very nice, impressive list of enhancements! Lots of good stuff to try out :D

I do have one concern/question about this, though:
heruca wrote:¢ Added four sets of d6s with pips (instead of digits) in white, blue, red, and black. The pip dice are disabled by default, but they're available if you prefer to use them.
I understand from another thread that the 'pip' dice are, by default, in an 'inactive' directory. If a player prefers the 'pip' dice but the GM or other players do not, what will happen if a die roll calling for pipped dice is run on one client while it is connected to clients where these dice are inactive? Will that cause any issues?
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Re: BRPG v1.3f beta released

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:14 am

Balesir wrote:Woo - very nice, impressive list of enhancements! Lots of good stuff to try out :D
Note that almost everything on that list is a user-requested feature or change. :wink: v1.3f is the most user-influenced release of Battlegrounds that I can think of.
Balesir wrote:If a player prefers the 'pip' dice but the GM or other players do not, what will happen if a die roll calling for pipped dice is run on one client while it is connected to clients where these dice are inactive? Will that cause any issues?
I believe the dice get remapped to the digit version, but I haven't tested it.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:02 pm

*Claps* This is excellent. Now I just need to get my stuff changed over to this.

Arimmus
Captain

Post by Arimmus » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:32 am

YAY its so FANTASTIC!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:02 pm

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I've edited the opening post because a file was mistakenly omitted from both of the Zip files. Be sure to download and install this missing file, as it provides card deck support to BRPG.

Arimmus
Captain

Post by Arimmus » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks Heruca, I like playing cards while i wait for players :P

Archmagician
Soldier

Post by Archmagician » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:23 pm

So I finally got my group to test BG 1.3e and 1.3f.

We had so many problems. Scripting errors and the software crashing constantly. Dude we need to work these problems out. They refuse to use it until they can see it perform stably. Lets have a skype chat or something sometime soon and maybe have you join us in the game so you can see all the problems we are having. I am really hopeful that we can resolve these issues!

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:56 pm

you need to use 1.4b it solves most (if not all) the issues with the 1.3 series :D

Archmagician
Soldier

Post by Archmagician » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:50 am

I offered to do that with my group and this was their response:

"If a release version is that unstable there is no way we are going to try a beta!"

I mean how do I respond to that?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:25 am

Archmagician wrote:"If a release version is that unstable there is no way we are going to try a beta!"
heruca wrote:BRPG v1.3f is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.
v1.3f is still in beta, not the stable release.

As for v1.3e, that was declared stable because heruca had received very few bug reports at the time as I recall.
Archmagician wrote:I mean how do I respond to that?
If they want bugs to be fixed sooner, then they should register here and report the bugs sooner.

This isn't a big brand commercial product developed and tested by dozens of people on all the innumerable system configurations. All small-budget developers heavily depend on input from the users to find those elusive system-specific bugs.
Archmagician wrote:Lets have a skype chat or something sometime soon and maybe have you join us in the game so you can see all the problems we are having.
Showing heruca the problems is a good idea, but it would be better to have the latest version of the software available so that you can distinguish new bugs from the ones that have already been fixed.

While I agree that updating for every beta version may be impractical for a group, doing so at least before heruca shows up would probably be a good idea.

Keep in mind though that he has been away most of this month and may be coming out with another new patch when he gets back. This is the time to post bug reports for v1.4b if you want them to make it into the v1.4c patch.

Archmagician
Soldier

Post by Archmagician » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:37 pm

FYI, please note that I am on his side. I want this to work. The people that I play with, as well as I, are all software engineers so they are very picky when it comes to software.

This program is beautiful and has all the features I am looking for. I am more than willing to work with Heurca to solve these problems. My friends however are not. I will do what I can to work with him to eliminate these serious bugs and hopefully try again with the software and my friends. :D

I should add, I am going to download 1.4b right now and play around with it. I am going to try and convince one of my friends to help me out before I start roleplaying today.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:02 pm

There are a lot of software engineers here (me as one) I guess the hobby attracts them :D

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:40 am

Archmagician wrote:they are very picky when it comes to software.
Heheh yeah, so am I.

I agree that some of the "official" versions of BRPG are disgracefully unstable. I just feel rather little sympathy for people complaining about bugs who aren't willing to come and report them when heruca has made it so easy to give input. ;-)
I wish all developers would be so responsive to their customers.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 am

Archmagician wrote:Lets have a skype chat or something sometime soon and maybe have you join us in the game so you can see all the problems we are having. I am really hopeful that we can resolve these issues!
I'd be up for that, if you'd be willing to run the session using the latest beta version. The reason being that the bugs you were experiencing have likely already been fixed.

As Omnidon mentioned, v1.3e should never have been promoted to "official release" status. That happened because I think several weeks went by without any major/significant bugs being reported, and I mistakenly assumed that meant it was "good to go". I think you'll find that the latest beta is by far less prone to errors or instability than the official release version. I'm now working hard on getting BRPG v1.4c out, which will hopefully become the new official release before long.