Generic Map Pack planned for BRPG (and a sneak preview!)

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

Generic Map Pack planned for BRPG (and a sneak preview!)

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:26 pm

Over the last month or two, I've been gradually working on a generic map pack for BRPG. The maps are coming out spectacular and I can't wait to be able to release them.

Here's a sample of what these look like, so far:
(all samples are at 100% zoom)

Like the grass map that comes with BRPG, these are all 40 x 40 cells (2440 x 2440 pixels), and use the same texture throughout (hence "generic"). The idea is that you will customize them with object overlays as needed to suit your Encounters (e.g., by adding trees, boulders, roads, paths, ponds, etc).

I want BRPG users to have access to better generic maps than other VTs. I hope these tiny samples convey the (near-photorealistic) quality and level of detail that I'm aiming for. The maps are actually much more impressive when seen in their entirety.

To round off this map pack, I'll probably add some castle and dungeon flooring, some cobblestone variants for towns and cities, some swampy ground, and sand (suitable for beach or desert). Suggestions for other generic maps are welcome.

So, does this sound like something you would be interested in?

I haven't decided on a price yet, but I figure it won't cost more than a Player Client, tops. Only the GM would need to have the map pack installed, and individual maps will be transmitted to the players as needed. I'll be selling the map pack as a means of subsidizing BRPG development. Think of it as a Donate button, but you get some great maps in return.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:33 pm

Oh, I should also mention that a lot of these maps were created from images that are freely available on the Dunjinni user forums (the textures have been OK'ed for use in a commercial product). The graphically-inclined could probably recreate many of these maps without having to purchase them, if they have the time and are so inclined.

I'll make an effort to credit the original artists in a ReadMe that will accompany the Map Pack. They deserve the recognition, and I couldn't have made these maps without their hard work.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:24 am

Great stuff.

This reminds me of a feature I forgot to include on my priorities list.

The ability to populate the entire BRPG map with a tile would save a lot of time and RAM in situations like this where you have a generic background.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:04 am

Yeah, I've got plans to do that at some point.

In addition, it wouldn't have to always be the exact same tile. It could pick random tiles from a given tileset folder and compose a full map image with them. That would use a bit more RAM, but the results would be far more varied. I also want to make it so that a tile isn't necessarily just one cell, but any arbitrary dimension.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:33 am

One feature I really like in RPG Maker is the ability to have Auto-tiles.

These are tiles that will change depending on what is placed next to them.

For example, if you place a water autotile, it will automatically change to beaches where next to land.

I'm not sure how that could be used in BRPG -- probably some sort of drawing tool for v2 -- but it makes off-the-cuff mapping much easier.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:41 am

Definitely a v2 feature. Of course, having that will basically make BRPG a mapping program, as well.

Something that may come before v2 is the ability to paint with drawing tools and have your paint strokes filled in with textures like the ones shown above. 8)

kilgar
Sergeant

Post by kilgar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:09 pm

heruca wrote:... Of course, having that will basically make BRPG a mapping program, as well.
This sounds good, but let me put in a word of caution:

I think it would be beneficial to mature BG into a well-behaved, solid and reliable VT app as a primary goal.

For my own two cents: I would prefer to use an external program to generate the maps used in BG...and then have flexible options in BG to be able display and use the map during play.

In my experience, any time one product tries to "do everything", it ends up not doing any one thing very well....I would much prefer to see BG become very good at being a VT app....

It has a good start, heruca! Keep on track.....
Never tell a DM "I'm Bored!"

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:43 am

Yeah, that was just mentioned as a feature for the distant future. By the time he reaches BRPG v2, it will already be more than a solid VT.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:52 pm

This project has been shelved for a long time, but I'm planning on finishing it up soon and releasing it in September.

Please post in this thread if this is something you think you'd want, so I can gauge interest.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:48 pm

This is something I'll probably buy right away. Very useful, and not only for use in BRPG, also in DJ and many other things.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:02 am

I might be interested. Seeing as how the future of BRPG in my group is uncertain, I can't be certain about my interest.

Putting that aside for a moment, they look awesome! And, normally I would say that I'm definitely interested.

heliopolix
Cannon Fodder

Post by heliopolix » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:40 am

I would be interested in purchasing this.