Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Re: Development Update

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:44 pm

If anyone is curious what I've been up to the last few weeks, I've been prepping the Kickstarter campaign that will hopefully fund development of BRPG v2 and BGE v2. I expect to launch the campaign next week. Hoping to have it ready for review next Monday. It's shaping up nicely, I think.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

PellePlutt
Soldier

Post by PellePlutt » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:02 am

Good news. I'm looking forward to it.
8)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:18 pm

heruca wrote:If anyone is curious what I've been up to the last few weeks, I've been prepping the Kickstarter campaign that will hopefully fund development of BRPG v2 and BGE v2. I expect to launch the campaign next week. Hoping to have it ready for review next Monday. It's shaping up nicely, I think.
Your post indicates you intend to release them (BRPG & BGE) separately.

If you're recoding from scratch, I highly recommend you merge the two into a single client. There are several reasons for this:
  1. Features: There are many features that are useful to both wargamers and RPGers that tend to be associated more with one or the other.
  2. Simplicity: Simplifying your code, advertising, customer support, documentation, and install process. Also less confusing to new customers.
  3. Plugin System: If you need a separate price point for the extra features provided, release them as plugins for a single base client. The plugin system would also be very useful if you think of additional major feature additions in the future, rather than telling people to wait for BGv3.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:37 pm

Yes, merging BRPG and BGE is part of the plan. But I made it a Stretch Goal, just in case funding is less than I'm hoping for. I wanted to make sure basic funding was as low as it could possibly be.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Crap! :evil:

It was just announced that Adobe Director is officially dead/abandoned as of next month. This is bad for me, as Director is the cross-platform development tool I know best. Link

PellePlutt
Soldier

Post by PellePlutt » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:09 am

Yep! This is not good. :x
I hope that you will find something else that suits your needs. Meanwhile, I believe that the software will run for another few years before it is obsolete.
I'm keeping my faith in BGRPG.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 am

There might be hope that some company will buy Director from Adobe and continue developing it (just as Adobe once bought Director from Macromedia).

In any case, I may as well start learning Unity this year. Seems to be the best thing around for developing for all platforms, including mobile OSes.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:09 am

heruca wrote:There might be hope that some company will buy Director from Adobe and continue developing it (just as Adobe once bought Director from Macromedia).
Unlikely. Adobe only acquired Director because they bought the entire company (Macromedia). I doubt anyone would buy Director from them since it's been fairly obsoletely for quite a while.
heruca wrote:In any case, I may as well start learning Unity this year. Seems to be the best thing around for developing for all platforms, including mobile OSes.
I've heard good things about Unity, but haven't tried it yet. I'm using Adobe AIR atm.
Python + Javascript is the latest fad for crossplatform apps though.