Sample Adventure Progress Reports

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon May 28, 2007 6:28 am

I agree ... very good :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 29, 2007 3:02 am

I got a good number of rooms done today on the Level 1 dungeon map, so I should be able to finish that map tomorrow.

And the Level 2 map is much easier, so I expect to get that one finished on Wednesday.

I guess that means the sample adventure will be completed by this weekend. :D 8)

(since I figure a couple of days should be enough to make all the necessary tokens and generate the various Encounters, Deployment files, and media bundles.)
Last edited by heruca on Tue May 29, 2007 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 am

Would anyone like to volunteer to make up a handful of pre-generated PCs for this adventure? Farland, perhaps? That's the only thing missing for a GM to be able to play this right away with his players. People love a ready-to-go "out-of-the-box" solution with minimal preparation required, so why not give them that? :)

I need four 3rd level PCs (preferably using 3.5 rules, but 3.0 will work, too). I'd do it myself, but I've long since forgotten how to generate D&D/d20 characters. Needless to say, the four PCs should make a well-rounded party.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Tue May 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Absolutely I'll make them up. Do you want them in stat-block format, character sheet format, or what? Oh, and BTW, I plan on playing this weekend, and I would love to run my PCs through this adventure. Think it'll be done by Sunday?
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 pm

I'll leave it up to you to pick whatever format you think would be most useful to people, since that's not something I know a lot about.

Sunday might just be possible. It depends entirely on how much RL gets in the way between now and then.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 30, 2007 1:53 am

I'm really glad to hear you want to play through this adventure so soon, Farland. This could be very fortuitous timing, since it means I can get feedback on it almost right away, and from no less than the adventure's author himself. :D

Edit: You know, if you don't mind, Farland, and if I can make the time, I'd love to sit in on your game as a spectator (assuming it's an online game). Then I could see firsthand how this adventure was intended to be run.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed May 30, 2007 8:32 am

Of course you can sit in, if you have the time, although my PCs sit across the table from me. Don't know if that would be as helpful to you. Also, my PCs are level 5, so I'll be scaling the adventure a bit. But I should still be able to give you good feedback, and if anything needs adjusted stat wise for a level 3 adventure, that should give me a good idea of it. And if anything does, I'll take care of it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 30, 2007 4:08 pm

Except for some minor detail work, the two dungeon maps are done. And around half of the figure tokens are done, too. So it's looking pretty good for a release this weekend. :D

Got an ETA on the pre-generated PCs, Farland?

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed May 30, 2007 4:11 pm

I'm looking to have them done tonight.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed May 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Okay, I sent the characters to you via email. Check them out and let me know if they'll work. I'm mostly looking to see if the format is okay. I'm pretty confident that the stats and everything are correct.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 30, 2007 11:04 pm

Got them, thanks.

How would you use these during play? Would you print them out and refer to the hardcopy during the game? Or would you load them into a browser running behind BRPG, and just Alt-Tab to view them as necessary?

Printing seems problematic with this particular format, since page breaks aren't set in the file. You end up with a table's column headers at the bottom of one page, and the table itself on the next page. Yuck!

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed May 30, 2007 11:05 pm

heruca wrote:Got them, thanks.

How would you use these during play? Would you print them out and refer to the hardcopy during the game? Or would you load them into a browser running behind BRPG, and just Alt-Tab to view them as necessary?

Printing seems problematic with this particular format, since page breaks aren't set in the file. You end up with a table's column headers at the bottom of one page, and the table itself on the next page. Yuck!
Yeah, I'm not sure. I would probably just open them in a browser, but printing might work, even with the yuckiness. I'll put them in another format if you suggest which one.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 30, 2007 11:09 pm

I'll see if I can get them into Word or PDF format with page breaks in the proper places. Then users will have a few choices for how they use the character sheets.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu May 31, 2007 6:27 am

heruca wrote:I'll see if I can get them into Word or PDF format with page breaks in the proper places. Then users will have a few choices for how they use the character sheets.
Maybe it's time to think about getting an interactive character-sheet format into BRPG. You can already see how beneficial it would be to 3rd party developers.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 31, 2007 11:33 pm

I finished creating all the necessary figure & monster tokens for the sample adventure. I also got all the stat blocks made up.

Tomorrow is when it all finally comes together, in making the BRPG Encounters.

Farland: Out of curiosity, does the town of Kenby get used again in any other adventure module you wrote? If so, which module/s?

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu May 31, 2007 11:59 pm

heruca wrote:I finished creating all the necessary figure & monster tokens for the sample adventure. I also got all the stat blocks made up.

Tomorrow is when it all finally comes together, in making the BRPG Encounters.

Farland: Out of curiosity, does the town of Kenby get used again in any other adventure module you wrote? If so, which module/s?
No, I don't believe it does.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Bummer. I was hoping I could get more use out of the Kenby map. Well, keep it in mind if you wanna write another module sometime. :wink:

Update: I finished creating all the necessary object PNGs for the sample adventure.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:44 pm

Yeah, more modules are definitely in the works, and why not set them in Kenby?

Cool about the object. When will the adventure be uploaded, or do you want to email it to me?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:24 am

A beta version of the sample adventure is now complete, and will be tested by Farland on Sunday.

I'll need to put some additional finishing touches on it before releasing it publicly (which could be as soon as Monday, unless Farland finds a lot of problems).

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:58 pm

Testing results: Everything with the new adventure worked very well. Everything loaded and transfered fine. It was intuitive as to how to use it (though a read me with directions will obviously be required).

The maps are awesome. It is great how the full features of the program are used. It really puts the program in a good light.

However, my (I think fairly decent) laptop could not handle the new FOW features at all, and thus to run the program I had to turn off FOW completely, which sucked.

There has got to be a way to make the program less resource-intensive. It's bordering on being prohibitive. Maybe an option to turn off the new FOW features?

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:42 am

I was thinking of starting a BG game with 3.5e rules. Would this sample adventure fit?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:11 am

It was supposedly written for 3.5e, but the PDF mentions it can be used with 3.0e too.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:23 pm

Excellent :D

heruca
Developer

Sample Adventure to be released later today

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:43 pm

I finished preparing the pre-gen character sheets for use in BRPG. Now I'm writing up the ReadMe file which will contain installation instructions and so on.

I expect to package the adventure up and make it available for download later today. Then, as user feedback comes in about it, I'll see about improving the adventure in subsequent releases.

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi Heruca,

Thanks for the sample adventure. Once I have access again to my PC I will be sure to dissect it. :D

I do have a thought about the upgradability of this and other potential third party modules. Will there be a requirement for the developers to update the modules with every release of Battlegrounds or can a module be auto updated by the GM to whatever the current version of Battlegrounds is?

Thanks and keep up the great work

Grey