Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:52 pm

I've updated the "Completed" and "To-Do" lists above, to reflect the things that have been implemented in the last few days.
viewtopic.php?t=120&start=575#10418

Is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel? :)

Things are looking pretty good for a release of v1.0.9 this weekend. :D
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Torq
Captain

Post by Torq » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:05 am

Brilliant News! Good luck for the weekend release, but if not, we'll be waiting here :)

Torq
The internet, it'll never catch on.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:53 pm

This is awesome, we bounce over to Voidstates die roller so this will be a great improvement to our game play.

If I may ask, what bugs have been corrected?

Cheers,
BTS

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:09 pm

v1.0.9 ReadMe wrote:Bug fix: Cloned units now retain the original unit's horizontal and vertical offsets.
Bug fix: The FoW Image (aka FoW Overlay) is now cleared whenever a new Encounter or a new map is loaded.
Bug fix: Zooming out with the mousewheel no longer stops at 30% (i.e., 20% is now achievable).
Bug fix: 2x1 hex bases and 2x1 hex halos (all 4 colors) now align properly to the hex grid.
Bug fix: 3x1 hex bases and 3x1 hex halos (all 4 colors) now align properly to the hex grid.
Bug fix: 3-hex bases and 3-hex halos (all 4 colors) now align properly to the hex grid.
Bug fix: 5-hex bases and 5-hex halos (all 4 colors) now align properly to the hex grid.
Bug fix: Gridded AoEs now align properly to the hex grid.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:04 am

I hit a pretty major snag while working on the ability to attach macros to units, due to a limitation in Lingo/Director, and have been jumping through hoops the last couple of days to get it to do what I want, so things are a little behind schedule right now. But with any luck, I should be able to cross three more things off the To-Do list tomorrow.

Sooo...no weekend release, unfortunately. :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:18 pm

I've updated the "To-Do" list on the previous page and posted more details there about the release plans.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:40 am

Looks like you were able to whittle that list down quite a bit over the weekend Heruca!
heruca wrote: Cross-reference the final die roll with a table, and report the result.
This one has me interested, is this elaborated in another thread?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:05 am

It's one of my favorite new features, and I haven't really talked about it much, but I think it's going to be very appreciated by people who play an RPG system with a lot of tables (e.g., Rolemaster, HARP, etc.). These games will move much faster with this little bit of automation, since you don't have to stop play while you look things up in the books. See the pic below for an example.

Here's how it works:
1. Make a table file. This is just a simple TAB-delimited text file, easily exported from a MS Word or Excel file, or hand-made with any text editor.
2. When you configure your dice macro in BRPG, you can tell it to reference your table with the die result.
3. On the die results screen, the cross-referenced text will appear as part of the roll summary.

Possible uses:
A) Wandering monster or weather generation
B) Critical Hit and Fumble tables
C) Pretty much anything you can imagine where you need a random text result. I've never used Tablesmith, but I imagine that's what it was used for.
Attachments
Sample MA Strike Fumble Result.jpg
Sample MA Strike Fumble Result.jpg (221.83 KiB) Viewed 8909 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:11 am

Here's a snippet of the text file that generated the above result. I can't include the whole table because it's from Rolemaster, and is therefore ICE IP.

Code: Select all

61-65	Mistake in attack causes awkward position and slight muscle spasms. You must parry for two rounds.
66	What were you thinking! You strike the nearest solid object that isn't your opponent. Give yourself an 'A' Krush critical.
67-70	Bad positioning. You must parry for two rounds while you recover.

Torq
Captain

Post by Torq » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:14 am

Fantastic Heruca. For those of us currently working on critical hit tables for Iron Heroes, this is music to our ears. Might now even be a reason to play Rolemaster again. No more 4 hour sessions involving three strikes with a sword and a nasty slip and fall in the process. To my mind the richest, most detailed and slowest rpg ever.

Torq
The internet, it'll never catch on.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:55 am

Very nice Heruca ... this should speed up playing a lot :D

tenkar
Soldier

Post by tenkar » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:24 am

Makes me want to give my HARP rules a try.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:57 pm

I'm going to see if I can sneak in one last feature into v1.0.9 - the ability for the GM to assign objects to players, so that they can control them.

Edit: Done. :D

Thank goodness I planned ahead in this case, or implementing this change would have required a substantial rewrite.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:14 am

Excellent! This will make spell targetting and such like much easier - thanks!

Did the 'die result divisible by x' feature make it into the build? Not essential, but it would be very nice for Hârn gaming...
Balesir

tenkar
Soldier

Post by tenkar » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:39 am

Looking at my crystal ball... i see myself playing around with 1.0.9 the weekend ;)

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:33 pm

heruca wrote:I'm going to see if I can sneak in one last feature into v1.0.9 - the ability for the GM to assign objects to players, so that they can control them.
That will be a very useful feature thanks Heruca.

--- Thread Split after this point by Omni ---
For a collection of mapping objects, maps, and original gaming content by dDemonicAngels, Kepli, Alynnalizza, Bogie, Cisticola and myself visit http://www.greytale.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:30 am

I'm about halfway done with adding network code for the new Dice Macro functions (so far everything has been running locally only). Hopefully I can finish it up tomorrow and fulfill my promise of a September release.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:05 am

heruca wrote:I'm about halfway done with adding network code for the new Dice Macro functions (so far everything has been running locally only). Hopefully I can finish it up tomorrow and fulfill my promise of a September release.
Nothing like the pressure of a deadline, thanx for the update Heruca.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:18 pm

Go Heruca, Go Heruca!!!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:27 am

The good news: Dice Macros now get sent over the network in multiplayer games.

The bad news: v1.0.9 still needs some polish and fine-tuning before I release it, so it'll take at least one more day of work, possibly two. I worked on this all weekend and really tried to make good on my promised September release date, but now I have to fall back on the proven phrase, "It'll be ready when it's ready".

I also plan to make a tutorial video right after v1.0.9's release, since there's a lot of new stuff to cover but no new written documentation.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:12 am

OK, it's official: v1.0.9 will be released today (Wednesday), probably in the early evening. All the technical hurdles have finally been overcome, so I'm just putting the finishing touches on it now. I even included some fixes that I didn't think I'd get to until v1.0.9a.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:12 am

Woo Hoo!! My only complaint is I have to wait until I get home from work to play with it. :(

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:38 am

:D excellent ...

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:43 am

That is great news! 8)
For a collection of mapping objects, maps, and original gaming content by dDemonicAngels, Kepli, Alynnalizza, Bogie, Cisticola and myself visit http://www.greytale.com

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:25 pm

Sweet heruca, really looking forward to seeing the new die roller. Congrats on this new milestone for you and Battlegrounds.

Lets roll some dice now!