Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:16 am

Come on, man, when I posted and when I downloaded aren't necessarily the same. But you did beat me on testing. All I did was install.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:48 am

Now, now, boys. :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:14 pm

mahhand wrote:already tested the encounter exporting, importing, worked, though it prompted me with script errors during the loading of the import, it still seemed to work. sweetness
Hmm, I just had the same thing happen to me. I was able to complete the import by clicking through the error messages and pressing the Import button until all the assets were done importing. Clearly the import bundle feature still needs a little work. :?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tryll
Sergeant

Post by Tryll » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:45 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding why there is an import process at all. Why not link to an external cast, and then re-link that cast to the new file reference when the user selects it? No "importing" - just attaching to a new media database.

externalCast.filename = theCastTheUserSelects
put "Cast assets attached."
beginUsingExternalCastMedia()

Since you can have many casts, you could have this one for external bundles, one for GM transferred media, etc.

I don't mean to oversimplify... is there something the import is doing beyond making the media available to the rest of the application?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:56 pm

I mostly went with this approach to avoid situations where users end up with dozens and dozens of linked casts. Having all the assets in one cast means BRPG only needs to search one cast for any given asset.

The only thing the import function is doing besides copying over media assets is password verification for access to the cast in the first place. The external cast is temporary linked to (as shown in your code), but is detached/unlinked at the end of the import process.

I'll be using additional linked casts in the future for storing various-colored dice sets, for example.

Tryll
Sergeant

Post by Tryll » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:34 pm

heruca wrote:What I really need right now is Paul Farry's free CastControl Xtra, but his site is down so I can't download it. Do you by chance happen to have a copy, or know someone who might?
Never mind, Tryll. Someone just emailed me the Xtra. Boy, I wish I'd gotten it a week ago. Would've save me some pain. Sigh.

Tryll
Sergeant

Post by Tryll » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 pm

That is one of the few xtras I've never used. :?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:21 pm

I may be taking on a freelance assignment very soon, because I really need the money, so there's a chance I may not get much done on BRPG over the next two weeks. I should know in the next couple of days whether I got the job.

This delay (if it happens) is a necessary evil. I wish I didn't have to freelance, but BRPG doesn't even come close to paying the bills. :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:59 pm

Well, it looks like I didn't get that freelance job, so the couple of days I devoted to trying to get that contract are completely wasted. :(

I'll get back to working on a quick patch to v1.0.7. And on figuring out how the heck I'm going to pay the bills next month. :?

Astinus
Soldier

Post by Astinus » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:37 pm

Well, it's not much, but I'm buying two licenses this week. That'll pay one bill at least? This product has HUGE potential Heruca. If you continue to build it, they will come...

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:54 am

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job Heruca. I'll be sending some cash your way here shortly for some floating licenses, so hopefully this will help a bit. On the other hand, I'm sure the next opportunity will be right around the corner.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks, guys. That'll help.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:56 pm

heruca wrote:Well, it looks like I didn't get that freelance job, so the couple of days I devoted to trying to get that contract are completely wasted.
Wow. Divine intervention is a powerful thing. The person that had won the contract got sick, so the project has fallen back in my lap.

So, since I know I won't be able to work on BRPG again until the 26th, I'll try to get v1.0.7a released tonight, so that you all have a usable version. It won't fix all the bugs I was hoping to address, but it addresses the important ones. I think it's the best thing to do, given the circumstances.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:48 pm

Thanks Heruca
Its appreciated

The Universe will provide, just hang in there

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:08 pm

Happy you got the job buddy :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:41 am

Thanks. So am I. Things are definitely looking up. Even had a few BRPG sales today to top it off. :D

Regarding v1.0.7a, I'll try to post it tomorrow around noon. It could use a little testing first, so I won't rush and post it tonight.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:58 pm

Ugh. I found some bugs when I tested v1.0.7a, so I can't release it yet. :(

I'll have to find the time to fix them when I take a break from my freelance project. Hopefully I can have it ready in the next couple of days.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:32 pm

The bugs seem to be fixed, so I may post v1.0.7a tomorrow.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:05 am

looking forward to it Heruca! I plan to run a game session with my players a week from this thursday, the 26th. last session had the dreaded label bug that ruined the game. sure this one is going to be killer.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm playing this Saturday, so if you release it soon, we'll test it.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:51 am

I'll be posting it today for sure.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:37 pm

sweet, im off today, will be looking here often!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:09 pm

Edit: v1.0.7a is now available for download:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... php?t=1151
Last edited by heruca on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:39 am

i got it! just updated the download link to the version for my players, might be able to test it tonight!