Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 pm

So where is 1.6j? I was wanting to try that new card game...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:27 pm

It's close to being ready, at long last. While you wait, you might want to download the card game and read the rulebook, if you haven't already done so.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Tomorrow should see the release of BRPG v1.6k, as well as a new free digital game conversion (it's gonna be a big one).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:07 pm

I plan to release BRPG v1.6m this coming Monday (Nov. 15th), if not sooner. It will be a near-simultaneous release with a new digital card game conversion (which, if course, makes ample use of some newly-added card-related features). And those who don't care about card-related features will still benefit from some bug fixes.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:46 pm

I found some last-minute bugs in multi-player mode that needed fixing before BRPG v1.6m can be released, hence the delay. I just need another day or two.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:53 pm

All three parts of the Game Porting video tutorial have now been posted. You can see them here.

Whew! I'm glad to finally cross this off my To-Do list. Technical problems caused me to lose way too much time creating those videos. Turned out to be because my laptop was overheating.

Now I can get back to developing the v1.7 beta release, and creating some more artpacks for Devin Night's Token Collection.

After that, I'll work on updating the User Manual again, to cover up through BRPG v1.6m.

And once that's done, I can finally get to work on BGE.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:45 pm

It's been too long since I posted anything here.
heruca wrote:All three parts of the Game Porting video tutorial have now been posted. You can see them here.
Thanks to the 20 people who have watched all 3 videos so far.

Sigh. Hopefully, the videos will get watched more after BGE is released.

The updated User Manual is coming along well. I'm hoping to release it sometime this coming week.

Sales have been slow lately, to put it mildly, so I hope some of you who have been holding off on finally getting your first artpack will, ummm, stop holding off. :P

Seriously, I'll have to think twice about releasing any more artpacks for BRPG. The free artpacks don't seem to stimulate the sales of the commercial artpacks (or of the BRPG software itself), and the commercial artpacks aren't worth the time it takes to create them if only a dozen or two dozen copies of them ever sell. :roll:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 pm

BRPG v1.7a will probably be released tomorrow.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:56 pm

This is what I'm currently working on.
Attachments
BGE Beta 1.png
BGE Beta 1.png (101.4 KiB) Viewed 6647 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:24 am

I won't be around/available this week except in the evenings, as I've taken on a freelance gig. So things like issuing license codes, answering questions on the forums, and handling of tech support will take longer than usual this week.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:27 am

Update: It seems that my new freelance gig is actually going to be my new, full-time job. BG is henceforth going to be a second job, which I will devote time to on week nights and on weekends. But I can probably issue license codes anytime, whether I'm at work or not.

As much as I would have liked to continue working on Battlegrounds full-time, I needed a higher and more-reliable source of income to support my family. Fortunately, this shift comes at a relatively convenient time, when BRPG is in "maintenance mode" and BGE has already been released. I just wish I could devote some time to promoting it, so that people know it exists.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 am

heruca wrote:Update: It seems that my new freelance gig is actually going to be my new, full-time job.
Congratulations and all the best with it. BRPG is certainly in a good state to put on back burner.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Good news Heruca :D

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:05 am

I'm pleased for you here too. :D

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 am

I figured I'd comment a bit about my new job. I now work as a RealBasic developer, using RealStudio. The projects I'm currently working on deal with SQL databases, and working with databases is pretty new to me (aside from a short stint with MS Access over 10 years ago). I'm learning a lot, and I see a lot that could be put to good use if I were to create Battlegrounds v2.

Aside from the name, RealBasic has absolutely no similarity to the Basic I learned back in high school in the 80s. It's a very nice, modern IDE to work in (although I do miss a few things that are in Director that RB doesn't have, yet). One of the nicer things about RB is the ability to compile for Mac, Windows, AND Linux, and the resulting programs are very fast (as in 100% native). It can also be used to make web apps. All in all, it's pretty cool, and definitely worth considering if you are a programmer who wants to develop for multiple platforms.

All that's needed now are a way to compile for mobile devices (e.g., iOS and Android) and for game consoles (e.g., Xbox, PS3, etc.).

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:53 am

If I could use BRPG on my Android tab, I would be a very happy nerd :D

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:13 pm

heruca wrote:All in all, it's pretty cool, and definitely worth considering if you are a programmer who wants to develop for multiple platforms.
I like Flash/AIR for that personally, due to its much more powerful API, but the fact that RealBasic compiles directly to machine code is definitely a major perk.

Hoodsey
Cannon Fodder

Post by Hoodsey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:49 pm

I've been using REAL Studio also, I bought the Professional version, really enjoy the fact that you code once and compile for all three major operating systems.

If you're thinking about going mobile I'd recommend Corona Professional, develop once for both iOS and Android.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:36 pm

I was going to release BRPG v1.7f, a minor update that was going to cater to various user-requested features. However, I am canceling that release and will be instead be releasing BRPG v1.8 sometime this month.

This will be a much more significant update, primarily because of the new Gallery Browser, which required a fairly significant rewrite of portions of the program.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Although it was delayed by a couple of weeks, BRPG v1.8's release is now imminent (i.e., sometime in the next day or two). I think you folks are going to love the new Gallery Browser. GMs, especially.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Today I started work on BGE v1.4.

BRPG v1.8a is already well underway.

And I'm also working on another digital game conversion for BGE, but I'm not sure yet if it will be a public release, or just for my own use.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 pm

I hope to release BGE v1.4 shortly after I return from my brief trip.

Work on BRPG v1.8b has already begun, but it may be a while before it gets finished and released.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 am

It's been ridiculously quiet on these forum lately. Not sure why that is. I'm still awaiting feedback on BRPG v1.8a and on BGE v1.4.

In the meantime, I've been working on a game conversion for my own personal use. I'll post screenshots when it's done.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 am

My third son, Pablo (that's Paul, for you English-speaking folk) was born on April 4th, weighing 2.87 kg (6.33 lbs.).

If you haven't seen me around much on the forums lately, now you know why. :wink:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:33 pm

Gratz and happy birthday Pablo 8)