Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Congratulations Hernan! With 3 youngsters underfoot I'm surprised you have any time left for coding. :shock:

cyberunner8
Captain

Post by cyberunner8 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Congratulations! Three sons, that will keep you family busy.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks, guys.

FYI, I'm working concurrently on BRPG v1.8b and BGE v1.5. I hope to release both within a couple of days of each other. Shouldn't be too much longer.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:18 pm

I will also be releasing a new free solitaire game for BGE soon. But it will require BGE v1.5, so that needs to get released first.

I had actually made the game for my own personal use, but the game designer and the artist whose work I used gave me the OK to share what I'd done. :)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

markuwp
General

1.8b

Post by markuwp » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:51 pm

heruca wrote:Thanks, guys.

FYI, I'm working concurrently on BRPG v1.8b and BGE v1.5. I hope to release both within a couple of days of each other. Shouldn't be too much longer.
What is in the works for 1.8b? Is it mostly bug fixes or are there more goodies on the way?

BRPG is so much better now that it was when I purchased it! Thank you for the continued development.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 am

2x1 square bases and halos, and significant improvements to the text label feature, are the major new additions.

heruca
Developer

Re: Development Update

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:54 am

Oops! I've lost some important data and I need help to recover it (no recent backup is available). If you have launched BRPG (any recent release) sometime in the last week to 10 days, but NOT EVEN ONCE in the last 3 days, I need you to please respond here so that I can make arrangements with you via email so that you can send me a certain file as an attachment. Thanks!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Anyone?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Never mind. I have manually recreated the lost data. Very boring and tedious work. I'd rather have spent those 3 hours on further development. :(

At least now I have backups in place to prevent further data loss.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:25 am

I've been working on R&D for future Battlegrounds software releases, evaluating various development environments, code libraries, that sort of thing.

I've also been working on a long-overdue tutorial video, which I hope to have completed and posted on YouTube soon (perhaps by Sunday).

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:43 am

heruca wrote:I've also been working on a long-overdue tutorial video, which I hope to have completed and posted on YouTube soon (perhaps by Sunday).
Sounds good... then you might not have newbs like me bugging u with questions all the time:-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Made major headway this weekend on BGE v1.6 development. Most of what remains to be done is testing that all the new features work properly, and didn't break any existing functionality.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:51 pm

BGE v1.6 is nearing release. It's going to be a bigger update than I had originally expected.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Both BGE v1.7 and BRPG v1.8d are nearing release. Final testing, particularly in a multi-user setup, should take place today.

These will both be bigger updates than I had originally planned (and they've taken an undue amount of time to develop), but since they will almost certainly be the last updates in the v1.x series, I wanted to really spiffy things up to leave them in a state I can be proud of.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:41 am

Tomorrow I'll be starting a new job. It's part-time, and temporary. Since I'm not quite ready to launch my first Kickstarter campaign, this new job should help tide me through.

I don't have a firm release date for BRPG v1.8b yet, but I can say that development is nearly done, and most of what remains is testing and debugging.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:49 pm

The bad news: The new job I mentioned in my last post has been delayed. Possibly months. In fact, it may never even happen, which leaves me in a serious bind, financially. Have you ever been in a situation where you have no idea how you're going to survive another month? That's me, right now.

The good news: I recently got a new computer (a MacBook Pro) to replace my 9-year-old MacBook. This new laptop was a gift (no way I could even consider buying new hardware myself right now), and I'm thrilled with it beyond belief. I've spent the last few days configuring this new laptop (installing apps, moving my files to it, finding new apps to replace old apps that are no longer available on the latest Mac OS X, setting up Windows OS in a virtual machine, etc.), and am almost ready to be productive again.

So now it's a race to get my first Kickstarter campaign launched ASAP. Even if it successfully funds, I won't see the money for at least a month. Fingers crossed, praying for a miracle. Simultaneously selling some of my things on the local ebay-equivalent, in case the miracle doesn't pan out.

It's so strange to feel bummed, ecstatic, panicked and excited all at the same time.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Gratz on the new computer. Hope everything works out.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks.

I've got my new computer nearly all configured, but I realized that I would no longer be able to use it to generate BRPG and BGE license codes and artpack registration codes, because I created those code-generating apps in the same authoring environment as the VTTs themselves (which only run on Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard).

So I upgraded my copy of Adobe Director and have set about recreating my licensing apps so that I can run them in the latest Mac OS X (El Capitan). The app for generating BRPG codes is now complete, and today I hope to finish the one for BGE codes. I took the opportunity to make the code-generating apps more full-featured, so that I can now issue license codes much faster than ever before, since much more of the process is automated.

Working on these little mini-projects also help me learn the ins and outs of the new (to me) Adobe Director version, which I will be using to create all future releases of BRPG and BGE (pending a successful Kickstarter campaign). Feels damn good to finally be compiling apps that run on modern Mac OS X releases. :D

This will allow me to completely retire my old MacBook, so I don't need to lug two laptops around everywhere I go.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Great! 8)
heruca wrote:Working on these little mini-projects also help me learn the ins and outs of the new (to me) Adobe Director version, which I will be using to create all future releases of BRPG and BGE (pending a successful Kickstarter campaign). Feels damn good to finally be compiling apps that run on modern Mac OS X releases. :D
Were you able to migrate BGv1 to the new version of Director or by "future releases" do you just mean BGv2 and other new products from scratch?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:09 pm

I mean v2.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:06 am

This weekend I was able to finish creating the License Code Generator app for BGE, and the Artpack Registration Code Generator app for all the commercial artpacks and game boxes.

So now I have three Intel-based Director apps under my belt, and once I can get BRPG v1.8d released and BGE v1.7 patched and re-released, I will finally be able to put my old MacBook out to pasture.

PellePlutt
Soldier

Post by PellePlutt » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:55 am

Are there any news about a MacOS version of BRPG? I think a saw something about an upcoming Kickstarter.
I have my Windows version but I much prefer a MacOS version. If there is one coming soon... would it be possible to transfer the licence over? :?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:40 am

I'm currently prepping the Kickstarter, whose goal will be to help fund development of the next version of Battlegrounds. Aside from many new features and an improved user interface and speed, the new version will also restore Mac-compatability (with native Intel support, so even better performance than in v1). I also hope to get Battlegrounds in the Mac App Store and possibly on Steam, for far greater exposure.

I, too, would much prefer to return to developing and using Battlegrounds on the Mac. I just hope this next Kickstarter gets a lot more love than my first one, because the funding goal will be significantly higher.

PellePlutt
Soldier

Post by PellePlutt » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:50 am

Great!
I'm looking forward to the MacOS version.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:50 pm

heruca wrote:I just hope this next Kickstarter gets a lot more love than my first one, because the funding goal will be significantly higher.
Well we'll have to make sure more people hear about it.

Also, a version upgrade should appeal much more to people like me who weren't too excited about tokens that they don't use :-P

Even though Devin's tokens are fantastic and the pack was fairly generous, top-down figures still don't have enough variety for my purposes.
Plus when purchasing artwork I only buy DRM-free since I often have to modify it and might want to use it in several different applications simultaneously (such as a custom character sheet app).