Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 02, 2006 11:00 pm

Really?! As I was reading the posts, I had the feeling I was getting a new bug for every one I fixed, or that stuff I thought I'd fixed was still broken. So this is nice to hear.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed May 03, 2006 1:46 am

Ok maybe 7 or 8 bugs... :?

heruca
Developer

Short delay

Post by heruca » Thu May 04, 2006 11:10 am

In an effort to make ends meet and pay my bills, I've had to take on a short freelance job. That means I can't work on BRPG for a couple of days. But at least I won't starve or get evicted.

Sorry for the delay, but I don't really have a choice. In any case, it works out well timing-wise with the release on 1.0.9, so that I can gather all the feedback and bug reports before diving into this again.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Thu May 04, 2006 12:21 pm

Don't worry about us, we'll keep testing, do what you have to do.

:-) Been there myself a few times.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat May 06, 2006 12:51 pm

Finished the freelance work, so I'll be getting back to work on BRPG now. Yay!

AVJax
Cannon Fodder

Vote of confidence

Post by AVJax » Sun May 07, 2006 1:24 pm

Just wanted to stick my head up and say hi. Myself and my group of gamers are testing the beta and so far we love it. Can't wait for the final release and we are spreading the word to other RPGers we know.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 07, 2006 1:31 pm

Welcome, AVJax.

Glad to hear it. :)

Hop over to the link below and tell us a bit about yourself and/or your group, what games you play, how you plan on using BRPG (online or offline), where you heard about this site, etc.

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... 5&start=90

heruca
Developer

Update

Post by heruca » Fri May 12, 2006 10:03 pm

Aside from a lot of bug squishing, I'm now adding die roll reporting to the chat output window, and making it so that incoming die rolls from other clients don't pop up in a panel if you're in the middle of using another panel. All Fog of War stuff has been transitioned to the new flat black (textureless) display method.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 17, 2006 5:43 am

Look for a patch (beta 1.0.9a) to be posted in the next day or two.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed May 17, 2006 9:10 am

Been testing the 109a Patch...

2 New bugs that were really old bugs that haven't been properly documented
A minor handful of usability issues
...AND 17 BUG FIXES! :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri May 19, 2006 8:25 pm

I'm now adding a License panel to BRPG, where users would go to "unlock" their software, a procedure which removes the current beta limitations (45 minute timeout period, 12 units max for loading & saving Encounters).

I'm hoping to make this unlocking functionality available to users who have preordered even before v1.0 ships. I think they deserve to be able to start using the software to it's full potential as soon as possible. I've already kept them waiting long enough.

I also figure that by enabling those users to start running actual games, the use of the software in real-world situations is bound to generate some very useful feedback, in case further tweaking is needed for v1.0.

So here's how it will work:
Folks who have pre-ordered BRPG should be receiving an e-mail in the next few days, asking for a Challenge Code that is unique to their computer (instructions for getting the Challenge Code will be in the e-mail). When they send me the Challenge Code, I will e-mail them back a Response Code. Entering this information in the new License Panel will unlock the software.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Fri May 19, 2006 11:02 pm

Sounds good and probably useful to Beta test the licensing process as well.

kilgar
Sergeant

Hello, All!

Post by kilgar » Sat May 20, 2006 10:04 pm

Just a quick hello. . .I am testing the beta (patched to v1.0.9a) for use in my "face-to-face" DnD sessions.

I am looking forward to the final release. . .

One of the features I am most looking forward to is the ability for each character to have a view of the map based upon their vision ability. . .

In regards to this, I have a suggestion when using "Shared party view" (as in offline gaming sessions)...would it be possible to have the current vision view of the map change automatically based upon the character that is currently selected (either through double-clicking on it or through the turn sequencer)?

Thus if you have a charater that has darkvision selected, the view of the map would reflect that characters vision abilities...then if you select a character with low-light vision, for instance...the vision view on the map (updating the FOW and other aspects) would automatically update to reflect that character's vision capabilities (and not the previously selected character's vision abilities)...

If this is currently possible, please let me know how.....currently it seems the FOW view is set on the map to reflect the character with the highest vision capabilities on the map (ie, darkvision) and is not altered as characterers with lower vision capabilites are selected. .

I think this enhancement would really help each player in a offline gaming session be able to play their character based upon what their character can see with their capabilities. . .

Again. . this is an enhancement request for the "Shared party view" mode. .

Thanks for a great program, Heruca! Keep up the good work!!! :lol:
Never tell a DM "I'm Bored!"

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun May 21, 2006 12:31 am

Well, I believe, the point of shared party view is so that the party shares the best person's vision, i'm assuming what you're suggesting is how it will work for each individual when you can turn shared party view off.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 21, 2006 1:45 am

Welcome, Kilgar.

Yes, I am planning to add the ability to selectively switch to a particular figure's point of view when FoW is on. I was thinking of making it so that the active figure is what determines whose eyes you see though, but perhaps the Turn Sequencer is a better idea, in case you need to check what someone can see when it's not their turn (eg, did the guard see your PC sneaking by?).

The Shared Party View isn't technically just the person with the best vision. It's actually a composite of everyone's vision that is not an NPC.

Thanks for the encouraging words. :D

kilgar
Sergeant

Post by kilgar » Sun May 21, 2006 11:42 am

Weezoh wrote:Well, I believe, the point of shared party view is so that the party shares the best person's vision, i'm assuming what you're suggesting is how it will work for each individual when you can turn shared party view off.
Actually I was talking about when the shared party view is on.

Although, I can see instances where a GM would want the shared party view to reflect the composite of all characters vision capabilites. . I can also see many instances where it would be very useful to have the FOW reflect the vision capabilities of the active character. . .especially when using BRPG in regular offline DnD sessions. . .

It would be nice to have this as a shared party view setting in preferences. . allow the GM to select which way he wants the shared party view to function.

kilgar
Sergeant

Post by kilgar » Sun May 21, 2006 11:51 am

heruca wrote:Welcome, Kilgar.

Yes, I am planning to add the ability to selectively switch to a particular figure's point of view when FoW is on. I was thinking of making it so that the active figure is what determines whose eyes you see though, but perhaps the Turn Sequencer is a better idea, in case you need to check what someone can see when it's not their turn (eg, did the guard see your PC sneaking by?).
Sounds good. I look forward to the addition of this capability.

It would be nice to be able to set the figures FOW view by both methods: by setting the active figure by double-clicking on it and then also by setting the active figure by using the Turn sequencer. Regardless how the active figure was set, it would set the FOW view for that active character in the shared party view....

An added bonus would be to be able to use the Turn sequencer to select a character name and have that figure's FOW view be previewed by the GM before it actually became the active figure (making its FOW view visible in the shared party view). .

Could be useful for the GM to know how things were going to be ahead of time to roleplay proper monsters reactions, etc as the characters moved around the map. . .

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 24, 2006 1:10 am

For the next version after beta 1.0.9a, I've added mouseover map scrolling to the map window edges.

I hope to be done with the licensing stuff tomorrow. It got a little more involved than I had expected.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed May 24, 2006 4:32 pm

heruca wrote:I hope to be done with the licensing stuff tomorrow. It got a little more involved than I had expected.
It's still surprisingly fast for such a big feature ;-)
Another 3-4 days before I'm back on my own computer.

heruca
Developer

Clarification

Post by heruca » Sat May 27, 2006 7:26 pm

Since the free demo, like the sneak preview betas, will allow someone to essentially get a preview of how the GM Client works, it makes little sense for me to remove these abilities when the demo is licensed as a Player Client. Therefore, folks with nothing but a Player Client will still be able to GM & host games. However, they'll still be subject to the 45 minute timeout and the 12 max units limitation for loading and saving games.

I just wanted to clarify this, since on the licensing page, it says that the Player Client can't host games. Well, now they can, albeit with limitations. The intent is to let players test out the full GM Client, not run actual games.

Emryys
Sergeant

Re: Clarification

Post by Emryys » Sun May 28, 2006 8:26 am

heruca wrote:Since the free demo, like the sneak preview betas, will allow someone to essentially get a preview of how the GM Client works, it makes little sense for me to remove these abilities when the demo is licensed as a Player Client. Therefore, folks with nothing but a Player Client will still be able to GM & host games...... The intent is to let players test out the full GM Client, not run actual games.
I think this is a sound idea :)

One thing that online gaming communities need is more GM's, and this will hopefully convince more BRPG players to run games... Good Call :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 29, 2006 6:02 am

::Sigh::

Looks like it will be one more day until the licensing feature is done. Part of the reason this is taking so long is because I am also simultaneously defining the behavior differences between the GM Client and the Player Client.

I'm also implementing Floating License functionality right off the bat. I was going to leave that for an update, but figured a lot of folks have already bought floating licenses and I don't want to disappoint them by making them wait to use them.

The question now is, would you all prefer for me to release the v1.0 Release Candidate as soon as it's working, or would you prefer that I finish the User Manual and mini-adventure first? I'm tempted to go with the former, and wrap up those other things while folks hammer away at the Release Candidate.

kilgar
Sergeant

Post by kilgar » Mon May 29, 2006 10:50 am

heruca wrote:I'm tempted to go with the former, and wrap up those other things while folks hammer away at the Release Candidate.
I agree that sounds like a good idea, Heruca.

The more time people have to use RC1 and help iron out any last minute bugs will be well worth it. . . .

The User manual and mini-adventure could be released as a later RC version for people to go over and debug those as well. It would definitely be best if the User manual was ready to go for the release of v1.0. . .

Keep up the good work!

hjorhrafn
Cannon Fodder

Post by hjorhrafn » Wed May 31, 2006 12:54 am

I say go ahead and release RC 1 as soon as it is ready, without the manual or mini-adventure. Of course, that's just me wanting to get my grubby little hands on the product....

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 31, 2006 9:37 am

BRPG v1.0 Release Candidate is now ready for testing. If all goes well and the licensing code is as secure as I think it is, I hope to post it ASAP so everyone can get their hands on it. With any luck, that testing can all happen today (Wednesday, for most of you).

It'll be going out without the mini-adventure or completed User Manual.