Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:07 pm

heruca wrote:Just an FYI: I'm hoping to get v1.0.8a released by next weekend.
Or not. :(

Some paying freelance multimedia work has come up (yay!), which may slow down the release of v1.0.8a (boo!) by up to a week. I should know for sure later today if I got the job or not.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:55 pm

Aw, man. I don't know whether to hope you get the job or not. :)
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:03 pm

Well, if a week's worth of freelance work can buy me a month of development time for BRPG, it'd be silly to pass it up. Also, there's a chance I might be able to work on both things simultaneously, and I might wind up with some code suitable for embedding into BRPG later on (and/or the Wargame Edition).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:53 am

A win-win situation is always good :D

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:14 am

Okay, you convinced me. I hope you get it. :D

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:39 pm

So, did you get it?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:47 pm

I was supposed to get confirmation on Friday, but didn't, so I guess it will be on Monday now. The good news is that the development for it is over halfway done already (it was easier than I expected). The bad news is that if I don't win the bid, I won't see a cent for that work.

But either way I'll have a new feature for BRPG someday: a customizable Spinner (like you see on some boardgames). Though I've never heard of an RPG that uses a Spinner for random event resolution, it might still be useful for a few things. Maybe it can be adapted to depict units settings (e.g. a la HeroClix-style figure bases) or showing current in-game weather.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Farland wrote:So, did you get it?
Yup, got it. Just got confirmation. :D

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:53 pm

Congrats!

:D

Now get working, dammit, so you can finish up! I want my 1.0.8a!

:twisted:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:23 am

Gratz ;-)
I can think of several ways how a spinner might be useful.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:53 pm

I've pretty much finished with my freelance work, so I will resume BRPG development tomorrow or Sunday. Yay!

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:00 am

heruca wrote:I was supposed to get confirmation on Friday, but didn't, so I guess it will be on Monday now. The good news is that the development for it is over halfway done already (it was easier than I expected). The bad news is that if I don't win the bid, I won't see a cent for that work.

But either way I'll have a new feature for BRPG someday: a customizable Spinner (like you see on some boardgames). Though I've never heard of an RPG that uses a Spinner for random event resolution, it might still be useful for a few things. Maybe it can be adapted to depict units settings (e.g. a la HeroClix-style figure bases) or showing current in-game weather.
Online Twister? ;)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:55 am

:lol: :lol:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:48 pm

As penance for v1.0.8a being delayed, here's a freebie siege tower you all can use in your fantasy/medieval games:
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... =9004&PN=1

I did make some progress on improving the Fog of War feature. Tomorrow I hope to make it significantly faster to render. Then it's on to bug fixes.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:45 pm

Fantastic siege tower ;-)

Don't forget to at least take a look at adding .swf filetype support.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:29 pm

YES!!! After many days of trial and error (mostly error :oops:), false starts, and chasing dead ends, I've finally licked the hideous math/scaling issues that had brought development of v1.0.8a to a standstill.

The Fog of War features introduced in v1.0.8 have now been optimized and enhanced, so that FoW renders much faster. It is now acceptably fast even on my old 500MHz machine while using a 40 x 40 cell map with both manual and dynamic fog enabled. I would imagine it will run very smoothly on a modern computer.

Now I just need to fix some old bugs and add a few new interface widgets to the FoW panel. I am hoping to be able to release v1.0.8a this weekend. Then we can move on to start adding some great new features.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:53 pm

sweet heruca!!!! can't wait for 1.08a!!

my vote is for the dice roller to be next on the list. :D and second is some more flash support for those that have been waiting for it. werd

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:15 pm

mahhand wrote:and second is some more flash support for those that have been waiting for it. werd
My vote is for Flash to be implemented.

It's the one feature that will open the door to about 90% of the 30,000 other features people have asked for.

It's about time that BRPG starts taking advantage of the most significant strength of its development platform.

Torq
Captain

Post by Torq » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:27 am

Great news Heruca I cant wait to see the improved fog of war in action. Going forward what about a feature that works like an adventure module with text including dialog and descriptions pre-written, that you can drag into the chat field (rather than using macros)?
The internet, it'll never catch on.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:05 am

I don't know about the drag-and-drop part, but I do have a feature planned for holding and navigating the GM's adventure module text.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:43 pm

I'm in the process of giving some of the panels in BRPG a "memory", so that they remember the last category (directory) that you browsed.

The affected panels are:
Deploy Figure
Deploy Object
Change Map
Send Audio
Send Visual Aid
Library (aka Consult Charts & Tables)

So any time you open one of those panels, it will automatically navigate to the last category you were browsing.

I expect to finish adding this functionality tonight. Then tomorrow I add basic Flash support, and we're ready to release v1.0.8a (which I have high hopes will become the next official release).

Edit: The memory feature mentioned above is only for the current BRPG session. Perhaps in some future version I can save that info to a Prefs file on the hard drive, if people think it's important to retain the panel memory between sessions.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:07 pm

heruca wrote:I'm in the process of giving some of the panels in BRPG a "memory", so that they remember the last category (directory) that you browsed.

The affected panels are:
Deploy Figure
Deploy Object
Change Map
Send Audio
Send Visual Aid
Library (aka Consult Charts & Tables)

So any time you open one of those panels, it will automatically navigate to the last category you were browsing.

I expect to finish adding this functionality tonight. Then tomorrow I add basic Flash support, and we're ready to release v1.0.8a (which I have high hopes will become the next official release).

Edit: The memory feature mentioned above is only for the current BRPG session. Perhaps in some future version I can save that info to a Prefs file on the hard drive, if people think it's important to retain the panel memory between sessions.
This is a much-needed feature. Thanks!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:57 pm

Hey Omnidon,

Are you sitting down?

BRPG v1.0.8a now has a Flash import feature. :shock: :D 8)

Just drop a ".swf" file into the Figures or Objects folder, and you can import it and deploy it in BRPG like you can a PNG. You can even resize it and rotate it. If the Flash file is an animation, it will animate. If it has programming built into it, the code will execute.

Important Disclaimer follows:
Only use Flash files provided by sources you trust. I can not be responsible for the effects of any malicious code embedded in Flash files. For example, if someone makes a Flash button that deletes files from your hard disk when you click a button on it, that's on you if you use it.

-- Thread Split after this point by Omni --
-- Please discuss this feature in the new thread --
Last edited by heruca on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:43 pm

OK, in preparation for starting development of v1.0.9, which will focus on revamping the Dice Roller panel and adding Dice Macros, I've completed a review of all the applicable feature requests that have been made on this forum, and I believe I've come up with a plan that will make almost everyone happy.

It's going to be a lot of work implementing it all, but I think it will make BRPG much more viable for non-d20 gamers (and more useful even to d20 gamers), and thus could greatly expand BRPG's user base.

Also, since the new Dice Roller will offer so many options, I believe most die rolling in BRPG will henceforth be done via Dice Macros. The new Dice Roller panel will be significantly more complex, and less user-friendly, than the current Dice Roller panel. More power means more complexity, I'm afraid. But that complexity will be largely hidden away during use by the Dice Macro feature.

Don't be surprised if a full month or two passes before v1.0.9 is released. There are a LOT of features going into this update. I would therefore like to get v1.0.8a bugs addressed first, and make it the new official (non-beta) version of BRPG, replacing v1.0.7a.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing the changes.