Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:39 pm

Umm, bit of a setback, I'm afraid.

v1.0.9 isn't working under Windows. :oops: It crashes on launch unless I remove a third-party Xtra. But that third-party Xtra is what drives the Dice Macro panel! Gah!!!

I'll probably release the Mac version today, which works fine. Hopefully I can find a quick fix for the Windows version soon.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:50 pm

god dang it!!!!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:01 pm

::Heruca rolls well on a "Save vs. Death" saving throw::

Whew! I found a work-around for the Windows version at the last minute.

I am now uploading both Zips. Will post the download link when it's ready.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

tenkar
Soldier

Post by tenkar » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:51 pm

woot!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:12 am

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:47 am

got it, mahhand strikes first again!!!

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Geez, manhand, do you ever sleep? :lol:

Hey h, will you be releasing a quick patch for the bunch of minor errors in 1.0.9?
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:38 pm

Farland wrote:Hey h, will you be releasing a quick patch for the bunch of minor errors in 1.0.9?
Depends on what you mean by a quick patch. I'm slating v1.0.9a for a couple of weeks from now. I think it will take that long to find most of the quirks and fix them.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:58 pm

Gotcha.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:13 pm

The first BRPG tutorial video (focusing on how to use the Dice Macro panel) should be available for download tomorrow. I've just finished recording it, now I just need to edit it down and compress it.

Ramza
Cannon Fodder

Post by Ramza » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:54 am

heruca wrote:The first BRPG tutorial video (focusing on how to use the Dice Macro panel) should be available for download tomorrow. I've just finished recording it, now I just need to edit it down and compress it.
Excellent!

This (dice panel) is a great addition to BRPG. I can't wait to see the video, heruca. Hopefully, when I get back from my mini trip on Monday evening the video will be up. (Being called out the door right now...I'll be back to check on the video Monday!)

Still doing a good job, heruca! Keep at it.

Later.
Ramza

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:13 pm

Thanks, Ramza.

OK, the video is finally edited. I had to jump through major hoops to get it done, because of some technical snafus in both the audio capture level and the video capture compression I initially chose. Live and learn for next time, I guess. :?

I'm leaving it compressing, but have to step out for dinner. Hopefully it'll be done by the time I get back, and I'll upload it then.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:24 pm

Work has now begun on v1.0.9a.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:05 am

New for v1.0.9a:
You can now set the range of the dX to include negative numbers (e.g., -10 through 10). In support of this new functionality, it is now also possible to input a negative number in the Dice Macro panel's "Fudge Roll" text field.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:11 pm

Development of BRPG v1.1 is well underway. I hope to release it soon after returning from my trip.

Here's what I've added so far:
Drawing tools
Text label tool
Range-measuring function

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:11 pm

heruca wrote:Development of BRPG v1.1 is well underway. I hope to release it soon after returning from my trip.

Here's what I've added so far:
Drawing tools
Text label tool
Range-measuring function
:D :D :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:03 pm

I've since added an "automatic Encounter updating" feature. At the moment, it only works with v1.0.8a-formated Encounters, but I'll be adding support for as far back as v1.0.6b prior to releasing v1.1.

Encounters in a format older than that will have to be updated with Omnidon's updater tool.

v1.1 is currently in the final stages of development, and about to begin the testing phase prior to release.

Meanwhile, work on v1.2 has already begun.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:38 am

heruca wrote:Encounters in a format older than that will have to be updated with Omnidon's updater tool.
Ack! :shock:
I wasn't aware that the encounter format had changed several times between 1.0.1 and 1.0.6b, since you didn't have an "Updating Encounters from..." post for them.
No wonder it seemed easier than expected. :lol:

The converter currently does *NOT* support 1.0.1 - 1.0.6a, as had previously been thought. I have updated my posts to reflect this fact.

If many of you want me to add support for earlier versions, please post as such in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1424

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:07 pm

Status update: Expect to see v1.1 by this weekend.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:33 am

I'm working on adding a global Undo/Redo feature (GM only). It's a bigger task than I initially thought, so it may not be fully implemented in the next release.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:35 pm

v1.1a will be released later today. It's mostly a maintenance release to improve on v1.1, as it addresses some user concerns and fixes some bugs that were discovered.

Hopefully it can tide users over until v1.2, and may stand a good chance of becoming the new official (i.e., non-beta) release.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Here's the current status of the forthcoming BRPG updates:

v1.2 (Card Deck support): 80% complete
v1.3 (Enhanced Turn Sequencer): 65% complete

I realize these are both overdue. I suppose if I'd focused on just one version at a time, you'd have one of these updates already, but unfortunately this wasn't logistically possible.

To make matters worse, I have another trip coming up, so v1.2, which was supposed to be released on Jan. 15th, will have to wait until I return. But I hope to get it nearly finished during my trip.

The good news is that v1.3 should be following fairly closely on the heels of v1.2.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:35 pm

I've finally managed to replace my (second!) burned out router, so I'm back to easily being able to send files back and forth between my Macs and my Windows PC. This will greatly speed up the time it takes me to test BRPG's network functions, and compile new BRPG releases (before I was having to use a memory card to take files back and forth between platforms, and it was a major hassle).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:39 am

v1.2 (Card Deck support) is now over 90% complete.

The two big things that remain are multiplayer support (i.e., networking all the functions) and adding the ability to create your own custom card decks.

Of course, v1.2 will still need to be playtested and debugged prior to release, but we're definitely getting close.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:42 am

I may be around Sunday (my time) if you need some testing help?