Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:58 pm

heruca wrote:The two big things that remain are multiplayer support (i.e., networking all the functions) and adding the ability to create your own custom card decks.
This is done. :D

Now it's just a matter of polishing things up, finishing up some minor loose ends, and playtesting/debugging.

Halebop, I'm afraid I won't be able to test with you tomorrow, as I'll be out most of the day.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Woot! Always happy to see a new release! :D

Is it still true? That v1.3 will soon follow?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm expecting v1.3 to be released before iCon 2008, which starts on March 22nd. Hopefully WELL before iCon, so that I have time to release a v1.3a to address any issues found in v1.3.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:55 pm

heruca wrote:I'm expecting v1.3 to be released before iCon 2008, which starts on March 22nd. Hopefully WELL before iCon, so that I have time to release a v1.3a to address any issues found in v1.3.
Great! That's what I'm hoping for because I'd like to use the new turn sequencer for my game at iCon.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:47 am

For v1.2, I'm adding in the ability to save and load a "card game" in progress. I hadn't planned to have that feature in place until a future update, but decided it is "necessary" (important enough that it should be in the initial release).

Aside from the obvious advantage of being able to resume a game session at a later time without losing all the info about who has which cards, etc., this will also allow the use of multiple card decks. For example, in a Savage Worlds game, the PCs draw cards from a deck WITH jokers, but the GM draws cards for NPC initiative from his own deck WITH NO jokers.

A future version will probably allow for tabbed views of the virtual card table, so that switching back and forth between different decks will be faster and easier.

I should also point out that only the GM will be able to save a card game to disk. This way, the players can't cheat by opening the saved game file to see what cards everyone else is holding. :lol:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:56 am

Saving and loading of card games in progress is now complete. In-house playtesting begins tomorrow.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:41 pm

Super sweet. This feature is so cool, that I am going to use it even though I wasn't planning to. 8)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:29 pm

The more I investigate, the more surprised I am at how many RPG systems there are that use playing cards. A quick skim through this thread should give you some idea. :shock:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Now that we have a new official BRPG version (v1.1b), I will need to update the free sample adventures so that users don't need to bother with getting the updater files from the forums. Expect this to happen within the next few days (as soon as I get v1.2 released).

I will probably also pull the older versions of the free sample adventures soon, unless someone can give me a good reason to leave them up.

I hope all BRPG users will update to v1.1b soon, if they are still using the older releases.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:01 pm

Hooray! Director 11 is drawing close to release.

http://www.macworld.com/article/132148/ ... tor11.html

Projects made with it will still run on PowerPC processors, yet are also optimized for Intel processors. Vista support has also been added.

The new bitmap filters feature may allow for dynamically created drop-shadows, out of focus effects (for multi-plane maps), and other fun stuff.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:23 pm

:D :D :D
Can't wait!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 pm

If anyone is wondering why v1.2 hasn't been released yet, it's because I decided to add "just one more feature"...

Actions taken with the cards are now reported in the Chat window. All such messages appear in a unique color (purple), to help it stand out from normal dialogue and system messages.

I was going to add this in a later update, but during testing realized that it could get pretty confusing trying to follow something like a poker game without such reporting.

Having this working has also laid the groundwork for reporting dicerolls in the Chat window, but that feature will have to wait until a later release.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:45 pm

For v1.2a, I'm going to see about adding higher resolution grids, so that they don't pixelate so much at full zoom. I also want to see about adding higher resolution figure bases and Health Status halos.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:29 pm

heruca wrote:For v1.2a, I'm going to see about adding higher resolution grids, so that they don't pixelate so much at full zoom. I also want to see about adding higher resolution figure bases and Health Status halos.
Wouldn't this be an ideal use of vector images?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:55 pm

I'm sure it would. The problem is that...
1) I don't know how to do it
2) Even if I did, it might entail a huge speed hit whenever it has to generate the grid, unless the code ends up being super-fast.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 pm

According to the website Director 11 supports vector based graphics (doesn't say which but there you go).

Assuming it's something like wmf, I'd assume all you'd do is create the grid in that, and it should just auto-scale.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Well, Director 11 isn't out yet, though it should be soon.

However, Director 10 does support vectors too. The code for it looks a bit tedious though. As always, I'll be happy to help make Flash-based grids if needed.

I think the processor hit BRPG would take from a vector grid is nothing compared to the benefits in both freed memory and new feature possibilities, especially if you designed the grid to only draw those parts that appear on screen.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:44 pm

riddles wrote:I'd assume all you'd do is create the grid in that, and it should just auto-scale.
A square grid is probably really easy to do, but how do you make a mathematically perfect hexgrid?
Omnidon wrote:I think the processor hit BRPG would take from a vector grid is nothing compared to the benefits in both freed memory and new feature possibilities, especially if you designed the grid to only draw those parts that appear on screen.
So what happens when someone drags the map to scroll it? The newly-revealed piece of the map would have no grid on it until it has a chance to redraw itself? Would you find that acceptable?

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:33 pm

heruca wrote:So what happens when someone drags the map to scroll it? The newly-revealed piece of the map would have no grid on it until it has a chance to redraw itself? Would you find that acceptable?
I would find that acceptable.

As far as writing code for the hex grid though, I'm not sure what to say. My only significant programming experience is in FORTRAN. However, if it's a math/geometry problem, I could definitely help out on that. I'm a math nerd.

One suggestion though, if you can do the vector grid for squares, can you do that and have a non-vector grid for hexes? Seems like it would be good to at least help the square people out.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:09 pm

heruca wrote:A square grid is probably really easy to do, but how do you make a mathematically perfect hexgrid?
Does this help?

http://playtechs.blogspot.com/2007/04/hex-grids.html

A Hex is a geometrically perfect shape, so it shouldn't be much harder than a square once you have the math.

So what happens when someone drags the map to scroll it? The newly-revealed piece of the map would have no grid on it until it has a chance to redraw itself? Would you find that acceptable?
Such a simple vector image should draw faster than we can see it... and there is nothing saying that BRPG can't be drawing the entire grid for the map so that the only redraw would be done on zooms... which, again, should be very fast.

Figuring out how to draw the grid with vectors would hopefully be the first step in using vectors for other things like the fog... which would be a huge benefit to performance and memory savings.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:52 pm

heruca wrote:
riddles wrote:I'd assume all you'd do is create the grid in that, and it should just auto-scale.
A square grid is probably really easy to do, but how do you make a mathematically perfect hexgrid?.
This must be a solved problem though. CC at least uses vector graphics & does hex maps.

Once you have the hex based vector graphic, it _should_ just scale if it's been created correctly.

I'm not a CAD guy so can't really help you but someone out there must be able to help! :)

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Since CC is basically a CAD application, it's no wonder vector graphics work like that in it. BRPG isn't a CAD-based application though. Wonder if it is a simple thing to do for BRPG ... I kinda doubt it ...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:17 pm

I've finally finished making the 600 high-resolution figure base graphics that I've been working on for days and days.

I also finished creating the 220 high-resolution figure halos, and the 10 high resolution Movement Guides. Still working on the high-res grids, though.

The high-res stuff looks super (especially at 200% zoom), but it comes at a price in download size. So what I've done to try and keeps things manageable is I've broken out all the above-mentioned graphics into separate support files. You will only need to download this heavy stuff once (with the full install), but after that, future BRPG updates are going to be very slim downloads. I won't know exactly how small the patches will be until I create a zip file for one, but I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10 MBs.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:24 am

Heruca, what is going to be in the next release?

Cheers,
BTS

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:55 am

For now, v1.2a has (or will soon have):
Better visuals, new options for figure bases, new halo colors, auto-importing of media asset bundles on demand, definable night vision types, lighter patch downloads for future releases, and bug fixes.

More details can be found here. I was hoping to do more interesting new features, but trying to address Demonsbane's gripe about the pixellation quickly spiraled out of control, and it became an all-or-nothing task (as I was afraid it would).

Right now, I'm just eager to get this finished and released so I can get on with the more compelling v1.3 features, and maybe some Chat window enhancements.

Edit: Added "new halo colors" to the feature list above.