Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:43 pm

Sorry for the delay, folks. But since BRPG is now weighing in at around 78 MBs, I'd rather fix as many bugs as I can, rather than force you all to download a new version or patch every week or two.

It seems preferable to wait an extra couple of days for a version with a dozen less bugs. That way, you won't need to file as many bug reports, and I won't have to waste as much time answering forum posts, freeing me up to finish BRPG all the sooner.

You'll be happy to know that audio transfers are now working properly, as are AoEs in online games.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:10 pm

Any projected date yet Heruca ?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Stuart, if you mean a final release date, I'd rather not hazard a guess at an approximate number of days. But I will say it's best measured in days and not weeks.

You did see that the final beta was just released, right?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:58 pm

I did Heruca - I have had a very brief play with the demo's available but only at a superficial level. What I really need to know I guess I can only find out when a full commercial version is available for purchase.

I really want to test it with some scanned rules, tokens maps and crucially, players.

One of the things I do like about FG is the use of an alias, I have a dynamic IP - I think I asked before about BG being supported in a similar way. I realise it is not something that you are considering at the moment but it might be nice in a future version if at all possible ?

I almost have enough players for a Sengoku campaign and Devin has a large list of oriental tokens I'd like ... so ... counting down the days !

(Must finish those maps)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:13 pm

The latest beta includes a button in the chat window that shows the GM his external IP address (useful if you're behind a router), so he can pass it on to his players via e-mail or voice chat.

I strongly recommend you use the beta (or Demo, when available) to test BRPG with your players, prior to making any purchase. Once a registration code has been issued for the commercial app, there can't be any refunds.

heruca
Developer

Update

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:14 am

I've now got full-size (32x40 cell) maps transferring to player client, without ever failing, and without the tell-tale lag & freezing. What's best, the transfers are really FAST! I've yet to time it over the internet, but on my LAN, it's about 5 seconds.

Since this is working so well, I will be increasing the BRPG maximum supported map size to 40 x 40 cells (200x200 feet), which will fill the tabletop nicely. Even better, this change will be in v1.0, not in some future update.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:23 pm

Cool Heruca :D
That means I can really use my full DJ maps :wink:

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:12 pm

Does that mean that we won't have to have the clients set with the maps ahead of time and having them open the maps before switching or loading an encounter?

It's great in anycase but it'd be really great if that were true too
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:05 pm

You don't need to do that anymore, anyway. Not since 1.0.8. Except for large maps that wouldn't transfer.

However, my progress last night means you never have to do it, as long as the GM's maps are compressed JPGs below 2 MBs, which is quite easy to do, even with the new larger (40 x 40 cell) maps.

heruca
Developer

Update

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:16 am

This should make a lot of folks happy:

I've remapped the unit movement keys to use the more-intuitive keypad layout (for both square and hex modes), and added the ability to move units diagonally on a square grid.

I've also remapped the unit rotation keys, to allow the map to be scrolled while a figure is being moved.

Lastly, I've added a 6 x 6 square base size, for those REALLY big monsters.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:55 am

Cheers Heruca, that sounds great.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:41 am

With the new size maps transferring; is this fixing the "blooming" map problem (sending non-compressed maps causing failure?

I think that must be what's happening to me; for instance I can't transfer this map:

http://www.wolfandmoose.com/temp/centersmaller.jpg

which shows at 322k
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:31 pm

Weezoh, that map will transfer just fine in the next version. There is no more "blooming" or "ballooning" problem.

heruca
Developer

Update

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:55 pm

BRPG now has a "Learning Mode", which is on by default until the user switches it off in Prefs. Having Learning Mode on uses the simple dice roller, and shows a more detailed Movement Guide. In the future, Learning Mode will also control other features, like whether tooltips are shown for interface controls. Feedback on this is welcome. I'm trying to make the program easier to use for someone who has never used it before.

I've also opened up the AoE Overlays to user modding, by storing the AoE graphics externally to the program. This has the added bonus of shaving 20 MBs off the size of the "AoE Overlays.cxt" file.

Lastly, I've given all the text screens a new look that gives BRPG a more unified design theme.

Now I'm going to focus on bug squishing, so I can get v1.0 shipping ASAP.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:35 pm

Sounds very good Heruca ... that should help a lot of people using BRPG :D

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:38 pm

Hurry, hurry, I'm ready! :D
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Update

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 am

Today I added the ability to navigate the various panels in BRPG via hotkeys, EVEN while another panel is already open. This is in response to user request. I have to admit, after trying it out a while, I really like it.

Of course, it will need more refinement, but I think this feature is here to stay.

Other than that, bug squashing is progressing steadily.

Edit: You can now also close a panel by either pressing the "Esc" key or by pressing the hotkey that opened the panel.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:38 am

Very cool. I espeically like closing the panel using the same hotkey. ...I guess that was a must have with multiple panels.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:28 am

I agree ... very cool Heruca :D

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:54 am

re: opening/closing with the same hotkey :-D yay! I think all the world of warcraft users will thank you for that!
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Update

Post by heruca » Mon May 01, 2006 6:53 pm

I've added a "Chat As..." popup menu to the chat window, so that you can now chat as any figure you control, or out-of-character (OOC).

Phergus
Captain

Post by Phergus » Tue May 02, 2006 10:20 am

Excellent news Heruca. Really looking forward to the next release.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 02, 2006 1:52 pm

If you mean beta 1.0.9, it's already available. :)

Phergus
Captain

Post by Phergus » Tue May 02, 2006 9:34 pm

Yeah, noticed that just after I posted. heh. :)

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue May 02, 2006 10:47 pm

About 13 or 14 bugs fixed, 3 new bugs added so far. Quite a useful update!