Development Update

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 pm

It looks like I'll be doing some freelance work starting next week, so after this weekend I will be setting BRPG-related matters aside for a little while.

My projects/plans for the next month or two are as follows:
Asteroid Zero-Four Game Box (Edit: DONE)
Updated User Manual (Edit: DONE)
Tutorial videos
Another free artpack
(almost certainly in that order)

I don't foresee BRPG v1.5 prior to September. But BRPG v1.4i will be made the new official release by this weekend, if no major bugs are found by then. (Edit: DONE)
Last edited by heruca on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:06 pm

A couple of days ago, I resumed work on updating the User Manual for BRPG. It's currently at 115 pages, and I still have over 30 screenshots to add, and a fair amount of text to write. I hate writing documentation, but I think the result will be worth it. Assuming someone reads it... :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:32 pm

Made decent progress on the User Manual today. Only 21 screenshots to go, and most of the time-consuming ones are already done. Current page count is at 123.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:49 am

heruca wrote:A couple of days ago, I resumed work on updating the User Manual for BRPG. It's currently at 115 pages, and I still have over 30 screenshots to add, and a fair amount of text to write. I hate writing documentation, but I think the result will be worth it. Assuming someone reads it... :lol:
I'll read it. I've been looking forward to this. I hope to catch a few things that I've been overlooking till now.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:44 am

Update: All the screenshots for the revised User Manual are done. Current page count is 133.

Now I just need to create a nice picture for the cover, and finish writing up the text. I've got notes in place to indicate what ground I need to cover in each section, so it should go fairly quickly. Perhaps by late next week I'll have the rough draft ready for review by the BRPG community.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:18 pm

Great news ... :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Update: The revised User Manual is still on track for a release sometime this weekend (Sunday seems probable). Current page count is 134.

The only sections I still need to write or rewrite are:
Dice Macros
Turn Sequencer
Fog of War

Surely it's just coincidence that those are the hardest sections to cover. :lol:

The very last step will be to update/finalize the Table of Contents.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Update: The bad news is that I wasn't able to completely finish the updated User Manual today, as I had hoped. The good news is that the writing/re-writing IS finally complete (yay!). All I have left to do is reorganize some sections into a more logical order, and then finalize the Table of Contents. The draft of the User Manual will be released to the community tomorrow.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Hoping to have a new freebie released next Monday. Then I'll get back to work on BRPG v1.4j, which hopefully will only take a week or two to finish.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:05 am

any hints as to whats in 1.4j?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:34 am

It will be a minor update. Bug fixes, mostly.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:23 pm

fb66, I can now answer your question in more detail.

The main highlights of BRPG v1.4j are improvements to the Card Table (including a new hotkey to access it more easily), and the ability to auto-roll dice macros right from the Map window, which will hopefully address to some degree the frequent complaint that the Dice Roller window is too big (since now it doesn't open AT ALL! :shock: ).

BRPG v1.4j will probably be released late tonight, as will a new free game for BRPG users that I think could be a big hit.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:18 pm

interesting i look forward to testing it. I feel another arena day coming on lol

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 am

I'm looking forward to this too! :D

The day's looking better already...

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:15 pm

I like that there is now a BRPG game for most of the major genres.
  • Valkenburg Castle = Fantasy
    Zombie Plague = Modern/Horror
    Aliens = Sci-Fi (tactical level)
    Asteroid Zero Four = Sci-Fi (strategic level)
The idea is to increase the likelihood that at least one game in the game library will appeal to someone.

Perhaps a WW2 game could round off the list nicely...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:11 pm

I may not be very available over the next day or two, as my dad is about to undergo surgery (nothing major, fortunately).

Just wanted to mention this so no one is surprised if I'm not responding to forum posts or emails as promptly as I usually do.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:27 pm

I think we can expect to see BRPG v1.4k released within a week. Its primary focus is improvements to the Card Table and to the Turn Sequencer (being able to roll initiative for all combatants with a single button push). Plus the usual bug fixes, of course.

EberronKnight
Cannon Fodder

Post by EberronKnight » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:23 pm

heruca wrote:I think we can expect to see BRPG v1.4k released within a week. Its primary focus is improvements to the Card Table and to the Turn Sequencer (being able to roll initiative for all combatants with a single button push). Plus the usual bug fixes, of course.
Sweet! Can't wait to try out the new Turn Sequencer!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Final testing of BRPG v1.4k will take place tomorrow. Depending on how well it goes, it could be released as soon as Friday.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Testing revealed several bugs in v1.4k when used in a multi-player mode, so I'll probably need to spend another day debugging before I can release it. :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:42 am

I believe the next beta release will be BRPG v1.5, rather than v1.4m, since it will add several new key features. Hoping to have it ready in about a week.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:21 am

If all goes well, BRPG v1.5 should be released tomorrow. I just need to address a few multiplayer issues.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 pm

There are not one, but three releases coming up. :)

BRPG v1.5a
A new fantasy token artpack
A new boardgame conversion (pending designer approval)

So you might want to check these forums a bit more frequently in the days to come. :wink:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:58 am

I finally received approval from the game designer (yay!), so the boardgame conversion will be released tomorrow (Friday), as will BRPG v1.5a.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm currently working on adding a new feature to the next release of BRPG which I think people are really going to like. It's been requested for a long time, and should help make BRPG appeal to more gamers. I think some prospective users have discarded BRPG out-of-hand for not having this feature.