Ease of use, explained

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Ease of use, explained

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:11 pm

I posted something along these lines on another forum, but thought it was worth mentioning here. It's a minor comparison between KloogeWerks and BRPG, prompted by the statement "[BRPG] doesn't look to be able to do anything Klooge can't already do".

What do I mean by "ease of use"? Consider the following example of a very typical task: changing a token's facing.

In KloogeWerks, you click on your token to select it, right-click on it to bring up a popup menu, select "Modify" to access a submenu, select "Rotate..." from that submenu, then drag a slider on a popup panel to rotate your graphic. You'd think you're done after all that, but for some odd reason, your graphic will move slightly on the map because it does't rotate along the graphic's centerpoint (this is particularly bad for large tokens), so now you'll have to drag it back to it's original position.
Time: about 6-8 seconds, with practice.

In BRPG, to do the exact same thing, you click on your token to select it, then tap the left or right arrow on your keyboard. You're done!
Time: 1 second.

Little things like this, while they might seem minor, really add up over the length of a game session/s, and can make the difference between playing an enjoyable roleplaying game with your friends, and struggling to operate a computer program.

For the record, I consider KloogeWerks and Fantasy Grounds to be the best tabletop tools currently on the market. Kurris, the developer of KW, is a really nice guy, and very supportive on his forums. So please don't take my little product announcement the wrong way. I'm not "declaring war" on any competitor. I just want the chance to do my own version, because I think there's a lot of room for improvement in this niche industry.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:41 am

Well said Heruca :D

siege
Sergeant

Post by siege » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:15 am

Indeed... there's a lot to be said for a thoughtfully designed UI.
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl siege.us]]}] {; }]" | wish

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:50 pm

One of these days, Siege, you're going to have to explain your signature. :)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

siege
Sergeant

Post by siege » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:48 pm

heruca wrote:One of these days, Siege, you're going to have to explain your signature. :)
The fact that it defies explanation is the whole point. :-)

None the less, if you're interested in a little diversion here is the explanation.
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl siege.us]]}] {; }]" | wish

Lonewolf
Soldier

Re: Ease of use, explained

Post by Lonewolf » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:35 pm

heruca wrote:Little things like this, while they might seem minor, really add up over the length of a game session/s, and can make the difference between playing an enjoyable roleplaying game with your friends, and struggling to operate a computer program.

For the record, I consider KloogeWerks and Fantasy Grounds to be the best tabletop tools currently on the market. Kurris, the developer of KW, is a really nice guy, and very supportive on his forums. So please don't take my little product announcement the wrong way. I'm not "declaring war" on any competitor. I just want the chance to do my own version, because I think there's a lot of room for improvement in this niche industry.
Oh yes there is indeed much room for improvement. I have used Klooge for quite a while. It works and does the job but would not be nice to design something new. Some faults in Klooge are there to stay because to undo them would mean starting all over again.

Battleground is new and threfore is being built on a lot of experiance. Best of luck to heruca because he is not going to sit around saying things could be better. He is getting off his (censored) and making in happen.

anstett
Cannon Fodder

Post by anstett » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:51 am

Just to point out here, I have used Klooge quite a while.

What you decribe for Battlegrounds is exactly the same keyboard shortcut for Klooge.

The arrow keys perform the rotation command.

BOB

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:00 am

Welcome, Anstett.

That doesn't seem to be the case in my version, at least (v2.9.1). If I click on a token in Klooge's map window, then use the arrow keys, the only thing that happens is it scrolls the map. Am I doing something wrong?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:12 am

Although upon further inspection, it does look like the instructions I gave above are incorrect, in the sense that I described how to rotate a graphic, not how to set a token's facing.

Setting a token's facing is apparently done by right-clicking the token, selecting the "Options" command, selecting the "Face" submenu, and then choosing either "None" or one of the eight directions (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, or NW) listed in the sub-submenu.