Call for Volunteers for Testing

A "blog" of sorts to track development progress, discuss design theory, etc.
heruca
Developer

Call for testers

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:28 pm

With Halebop still missing in action, I need one or two volunteers for testing RC2, probably tomorrow evening. It should be someone that has a GM Client license.

This testing is needed before I release RC2 publicly, to make sure any really bad bugs are dealt with. The volunteer should be someone that is already very familiar with BRPG and is willing to really put the software through its paces, trying every feature (even ones that have always worked, to ensure they're still working properly). And of course, you must have free time tomorrow evening to get this testing done in a timely manner, so as not to hold up the release of RC2.

Omnidon need not apply, since he'll be forcibly drafted. :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:41 am

well, I have the GM client and free time, but I'm not familiar enough to put it through it's paces. I could, however, be some other willing soul to test GM stuff out *on* if one is needed.

--Tlichie
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:48 am

Thanks for offering, Tlichie. Being relatively new to BRPG, you are a prime candidate for testing stuff out *on*. That's Phase Two. :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:55 am

Heheeee, just give a holler when you need me :wink:
--Tlichie

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:28 am

I should be free tomorrow evening, and I have a GM license and floating licenses and two PCs on a LAN to test with, if that would be useful?

Oh - my 'evening' may be your afternoon, though, so it depends when 'evening' will be... (I am on British Summer Time right now =GMT+1)...
Balesir

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:53 am

Since your evening time is about 6 or 7 hours behind my timezone, I can't help you test it the way you want to. I can however do some other tests if you like :) If you have specific things for a single person to test, let me know ;). Thursday is a day off where we will do some furniture shopping for our new house. I can plan some time for testing though :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 pm

Balesir: If I can have RC2 ready for distribution by then, you're on. Are you set up for voice chat? I forgot to mention that that would be very useful.

Kepli: Hehe, sounds like maybe you don't like furniture shopping very much. :lol:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:21 pm

I have teamspeak, ventrillo, and skype.
Should be on YIM all day, though I may be busy for parts of it. Buzz me if I don't respond.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:41 pm

I've got ventrillo here.
Well, if BRPG someday becomes a household name (at least among gamer households), smatt1001 will be able to boast that he was the first person in the world to buy a license.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:41 pm

heruca wrote:Balesir: If I can have RC2 ready for distribution by then, you're on. Are you set up for voice chat? I forgot to mention that that would be very useful.
'Set upfor' might be stretching a point (I've never actually used the voice function) but I have AIM and a (cheap) headset. If that won't do I can DL skype or whatever easily enough 8) .
Balesir

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Figured I'd make this a new post:

I finally reinstalled yahoo messanger and skype so I'm set up for those as well.

Now I'm just hoping to have internet later as the building maintance guys are supposed to be doing some wiring later.
Well, if BRPG someday becomes a household name (at least among gamer households), smatt1001 will be able to boast that he was the first person in the world to buy a license.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:12 pm

Heruca,

If this is in the wrong place please move it but i wanted to check this.

I installed BRPG over my old RC 1 install and when I open the program it says "version 1.0 RC" I want to make sure I'm testing the right version

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:18 pm

You're not. I haven't yet compiled or uploaded RC2, nor sent anyone info about how to get it, etc.

It looks like RC2 testing will have to be pushed back to tomorrow (Thursday), because updating the User Manual took longer than I expected, and I still have a lot to do to get RC2 ready for testing. Sorry, folks. But go ahead an snag the new User Manual so you can read up on how the new stuff works.
Last edited by heruca on Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:02 am

Hey heruca, how long you looking to test? We're finally getting the new house settled in and I'd probably have an hour or so of free time between finishing up some painting and such.
<>< ;^)

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:16 am

Hi Heruca,

Just a thought - Are you going to release downloadable movie files of Battlegrounds in action (see Four Ugly Monsters website for Fantasy Grounds) so that others can watch and learn?

Baz.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:59 am

I'm sure that's gonna happen eventually. It's easy to do with Flash.

Not much point in making it till all the functionality we're trying to show off is implemented though ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:10 am

GMBazUK wrote:Hi Heruca,

Just a thought - Are you going to release downloadable movie files of Battlegrounds in action (see Four Ugly Monsters website for Fantasy Grounds) so that others can watch and learn?

Baz.
Yes, once I have time to make them (i.e., after v1.0). They'll be part of the new "Learning Mode" feature, and accessible from within BRPG. I'll also probably make them available for viewing on the website somewhere.

On a related note, I want to put together something like a video game trailer that quickly highlights BRPG's features. Basically a slick promo video to get people interested.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:52 pm

Well, I'm back from the house hunting trip now and can play victim :wink: when it's needed. I'll be busy Saturday it looks like but otherwise should be fairly free to take some time off from the toss-fest as I try and consolodate this house.

I think I'm definately going to write an adventure that requires the PCs to investigate 12 houses in 2 days and pick the "right" one for those times when I'm feeling really really sadistic. :twisted:

Oh, I also have ventrilo if a voice chat while using me to test is desired!
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:56 pm

You saw 12 houses in 2 days? Ouch!

I'll install Ventrilo here, since more people seem to be using that than Skype.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:19 am

OK, RC2 is compiled and ready for testing. I'll send the download link to the selected volunteers as soon as it's done uploading.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:05 am

Yay! hope testing goes well! :D
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:57 am

I'm all set for volunteers, so I'm locking this thread.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:25 am

I need 1 or 2 more volunteers for testing of v1.0. They should be familiar with BRPG, have a GM license, and have time available this weekend. Post here if you're interested.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Heruca,

I didn't have any free time over the weekend but I have a large amount of free time, tomorrow (Tuesday) so if you still need some more testers I 'd be glad to give it a look

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:10 pm

Great, I hope to have a build ready by tonight, or early tomorrow. I'll let you know when it's ready for download.

Thanks for stepping up.