Customization

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If more customization options are NOT added...

I will not use BRPG
7%
I will cry like a baby
14%
I will wail in anguish
7%
I will wallow in misery
14%
I will gnash my teeth
7%
I will grumble a bunch
21%
I will be fine
29%
I would never use these features anyway
No votes

Total votes: 14

Omnidon
Site Admin

Customization

Post by Omnidon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:55 pm

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3

Features that allow BRPG to be tweaked to suit your personal tastes.
Most of these features are also mentioned in other topics.
  • Custom Extensions
    It should be possible to install third-party extensions/plugins in BRPG that add more features.
    See Extensions: Flash Integration.
  • Custom Permissions
    It should be possible to set the various the privileges of each connected user.
    See Permissions.
  • Custom Sounds
    All interface sounds should be customizable from within BRPG.
  • Custom Bases
    Many users wish to be able to choose custom artwork for their figure bases.
  • Custom Chat Formatting
    The ability to change font, text style, text size, text color, and background color are vital to any chat interface.
    See Chat Interface
  • Global Unit Defaults
    An ability to set the global defaults for unit creation. (Example: All units default to 150% size.)
    As above, it should be possible to choose whether or not to apply this setting to all units. Additionally, it should be possible to choose whether or not the global default overrides the specialized default.
  • Custom Button Configuration
    The user should be able to set custom hotkeys and mouse-controls through the preferences menu.
  • Application Hotkeys
    It has been suggested that BRPG have the ability to open other applications, such as a calculator, using a hotkey.
    This would be especially useful if BRPG could set custom hotkeys.
  • Custom Context Menus
    Users should be able to set what options appear in the context menus.
  • Custom BRPG Interface
    The ability to import custom interface styles and graphics could really improve immersion.
    Flash would be a good way to implement this feature.
  • Customize from Inside BRPG
    All settings, such as unit label names and lightsources, should be controlled from inside BRPG.

Editing documents externally should not be necessary, though there may be advantages to leaving the option available.
  • Panel Positioning
    Panels should remember the last position they were placed in after reopening.
  • Hide Labels
    Labels are very useful but also very distracting.
    Add a hotkey to toggle labels on/off.
  • Connections List
    BRPG currently saves the last-used login settings, but it should also be possible to save a variety of hosts as favorites.
  • Custom Dice Macros
    It will be possible to call upon custom dice macros to save time. This feature will likely be integrated into the Chat Interface.
    See The Dice.
  • Subfolders
    It should be possible to select files from subfolders within the main folders, preferably to an infinite depth.
    See File Chooser.
  • Custom Sorting
    It should be possible to customize the order in which elements appear, whether they be files in the file chooser or units in the turn sequencer and unit manager.
  • Cells vs. Pixels
    Features such as the sight range in fog of war are currently based on a number of cells, but this is not ideal for those who do not depend heavily on the grid.
    The GM should be able to choose whether to use cells or pixels as the basis for any measurement of distance.
  • Custom Cell Size
    Similarly, it should be possible to resize the grid.
    Currently it is locked into 61x61 per cell, but it should be possible to specify the exact dimensions.

Note: Keep in mind that if you don't mind disabling the Snap-to-Grid feature, you can always import a custom grid of any specification.
  • Save as Default
    The function that was previously named "Save as Default" is now called "Apply to All".
    It will update any previous instances of that unit graphic with the current settings and will make those settings the default for future instances.

This feature should be separated into two distinct features.
    1. An "Apply to All" feature that updates previous instances
    2. A true "Save as Default" feature that will set the default for future instances.
Last edited by Omnidon on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:45 am

Some of these would be great to have ... :)

heruca
Developer

Re: Customization

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:32 pm

Omnidon wrote:Custom Alerts
It should be possible to disable notifications, such as the delete confirmation warning.
I've added this as a Preferences setting in v1.0.8.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.