Graphic Filters

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If Graphic Filters are NOT added...

I will not use BRPG
No votes
I will cry like a baby
No votes
I will wail in anguish
7%
I will wallow in misery
No votes
I will gnash my teeth
No votes
I will grumble a bunch
33%
I will be fine
40%
I would not use these features anyway
20%

Total votes: 15

Omnidon
Site Admin

Graphic Filters

Post by Omnidon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:31 pm

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3

Finding the right graphics for a game with enough variety is often difficult.

While far from an urgent feature, the ability to add filters to the graphics (maps, units, etc) in BRPG on the fly would save time and greatly improve the usability of the application.

Note to Developer: All this can be done easily with Flash, if it is difficult in Director.
  • Color Levels
    The ability to adjust the color levels (Red, Green, Blue) is a standard type of filter.
  • Color Fill
    The ability to fill the non-transparent areas of a graphic with a single color.
  • Color Replacement
    The ability to replace a single color in the graphic with a different color.
  • Grayscale
    A quick "convert to grayscale" function would be nice.
  • RGB Swap
    Some graphics applications (such as Irfanview) allow you to quickly make a large number of variations for your image using a special swap colors feature that switches around the primary colors (Red, Green, Blue)

RGB => RBG
    RGB => BGR
    RGB => BRG
    RGB => GRB
    RGB => GBR
  • Other Standard Filters
    Saturation, Brightness, Contrast, and Hue are all common filters.
  • Blur, Glow, Shadows, and Transparency
    These are advanced filters that you might not want to apply to all your graphics ahead of time but could greatly improve the appearance of units in BRPG on the fly.
    With flash, you can even dynamically apply Bevel filters.
  • Preset Filters
    If the ability to add several different types of filters is added, then it would be nice to be able to create special preset packages to be applied instantly (Winter, Summer, Day, Night, etc).
  • Visual Effect Overlays
    A related feature would be the ability to place overlays, especially animated overlays (rain, snow, floodwater, etc), over the graphic.
  • Global Graphics Filters
    If filters are added, then the ability to apply certain filter settings to all graphics by default would be nice.
Last edited by Omnidon on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:44 am

Now this is an area I love to work with and on :D

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:58 pm

Having to have so many versions of a single graphic, or having to customize a graphic outside the program for maps is one of the most annoying things about building a map inside a program or adding to one already pre-built.

I'd love to see some of these options made available, though since they aren't game mechanic specific, they'll probably get little support or priority.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:02 am

A lot of these options will be available in DJ 2 :wink:
And some can already be done in DJ 1

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:11 pm

Kepli wrote:A lot of these options will be available in DJ 2 :wink:
And some can already be done in DJ 1
I'm looking forward to seeing DJ2. When should we expect to see that out?

Right now I'm pretty much just using Photoshop since I'm more familiar with it and can edit graphics and create variations quickly.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:50 pm

Yes, these features are already available in other applications.

However, one of the things that limits the size of the market for VTs is that it takes so much preparation and software knowledge for a GM to set up a game.

Although it's obviously not urgent, making an easier to use, built-in version of these features would save a lot of time, reduce a lot of clutter, and make BRPG much more salable to less experienced GMs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 pm

Full Bleed wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing DJ2. When should we expect to see that out?
All I can say is that you should keep an eye on the DJ forum (but I guess you already are). We won't give out a release date or even an estimate until we are confident we can actually make that date. I have seen too often that deadlines had to be shifted again and again with other applications and systems in my own work ;)