File Chooser

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If File Choosing is NOT improved...

I will not use BRPG
6%
I will cry
19%
I'll grumble a bunch
50%
I'll be ok
25%
I would never use these features anyway
No votes

Total votes: 16

Omnidon
Site Admin

File Chooser

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:38 am

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3

Currently BRPG depends heavily on pulldown menus which are slow and especially irksome in Windows.

Since files are often picked on the fly, there needs to be a more streamlined approach to finding the right file.
  • Subfolders
    It should be possible to select files from subfolders within the main folders, preferably to an infinite depth.
  • File Sorting
    It should be possible to customize the order in which files and folders appear.
  • Browse for Files
    Forgot to put the file in your BRPG directory?
    BRPG should allow users to browse through any part of their hard drive for the file they want.
    BRPG could then automatically copy that file into the BRPG directory.
  • Search for Files
    The option to search for a specific filename from within BRPG has been requested.

This would require that BRPG keep a cache of data on what files are in the folders.
    An index button would have to be provided for the user to manually update this cache, rather than consuming system resources by monitoring them all the time.
  • Multiple Previews
    The user should be able to see multiple previews of images at once when trying to pick the right piece of artwork for the situation
  • Selection Layout
    It should be possible to scroll quickly through the previews and click buttons to change folders.
  • File Tab
    See Tabbed Encounters.
Last edited by Omnidon on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:46 am, edited 6 times in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:03 pm

Should actually be basic functionality imo ;)

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:10 am

I can see myself getting into trouble without this LOL Especially since my graphics program and my licenced Battlegrounds program won't be on the same computer (and in any case I may wish to save adventure-specific things on disk) there will inevitably be a time when I've forgotten to put some much-wanted graphic or sound file (assuming I'll start using them) into the files beforehand and will need to do that "on the fly". For that, being able to load something into a file structure while playing *without* causing the game to crash (I'm not so foolish as to think expecing to upload things to players from a disk is reasonable as far as load times go :mrgreen: ) that would be fantastic. If not I'll weep when I forget and just pause things LOL
--Tlichie