Unit Management

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If Unit Management is NOT improved...

I will not use BRPG
9%
I will cry like a baby
No votes
I will wail in anguish
27%
I will wallow in misery
18%
I will gnash my teeth
27%
I will grumble a bunch
9%
I will be fine
9%
I would not use these features anyway
No votes

Total votes: 11

Omnidon
Site Admin

Unit Management

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:56 am

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3f
  • Table-based Unit Manager
    The current unit manager will be replaced by a table-based one that will allow for much greater organization.
  • Edit Attributes
    All attributes of a unit should be visible and editable from the unit manager table, including things like whether an object is locked or set as a tile.
  • Custom Attributes
    It should be possible to specify custom attributes for the unit that appear in the unit manager. (HP, mana, etc)
  • Unit Order
    It should be possible to sort units based on their attributes.
  • Unit Categories
    It should be possible to sort units into categories that can be minimized in a tree list fashion or separated into tabs.
  • Unit Inventories
    It would be nice to be able to assign units to other units, or even to create pseudo 'item' units that have no graphical representation.
  • Unit Abilities
    It would be nice to have BRPG keep track of what abilities a character has and their descriptions, so that a player could select it from a list and it would inform the GM that the ability was used.
  • Dynamic Abilities and Attributes
    These features could certainly be made dynamic, so that they could automatically incorporate dice rolls and changes to other attributes into their values, but that feature is probably better as a Flash extension.
  • Multiple Unit Selection from Unit Manager
    You should be able to make unit selections of multiple units from the unit manager.
  • Drag & Drop from Unit Manager
    You should be able to drag & drop units out of the unit manager to move or copy those units to that spot.
  • Status Effect Automation
    While you can currently assign multiple graphics (poses), it is tedious to switch between them whenever you want to visually indicate a new status effect. It would be nice to have a way to automatically switch graphics when the creature's status changes.

It can also be difficult to find or create status effect poses when using large numbers of generic creatures. A way to dynamically indicate status graphically without use of a label or unit-specific graphic would be handy.

A basic way to automate status effects would be the use of filters on the unit graphic dependent on which status is chosen. For example, the unit could turn green when poisoned and gray when killed.

Another way to show a status effect is to add an overlay image when the status changes.
    For example, a crucifix icon could indicate a blessing while a skull & crossbones graphic could indicate death.

Status effect automation could potentially be implemented using Flash integration.
  • Hide to Player
    It will eventually be possible to selectively hide certain units to certain players while leaving them visible to other players.
    For a related (more advanced) feature, see Perception Attributes.
  • Note Files
    It should be possible to save and load unit notes to and from files.
    Additionally it would be nice to be able to tie several reference documents to a single unit.
  • Global Unit Defaults
    An ability to set the global defaults for unit creation. (Example: All units default to 150% size.)
    There should be an option whether or not to override previously assigned defaults when doing this.
  • Shift Drag Select
    The ability to select multiple units by click+dragging the mouse over an area.
    Shift+Drag or CTRL+Drag should add the units to the current selection.
  • Select All
    A Select All (CTRL+A) feature would be handy.

My recommended method of implementing it is this:
    If nothing is selected...
    CTRL+A selects all units on the map.

If one or more unit is selected...
    CTRL+A selects all similar units. (ex. all orcs)
    CTRL+A again selects all units of the same type. (ex. all figures)
    CTRL+A a third time selects all units on the map.

Holding SHIFT while doing this would add them to the current grouping. (So you could select 3 trolls, 1 goblin, and all orcs)

EDIT: Another variation of Select All that would be nice is the ability to select all units on the screen.
  • Unit Hotkeys / Squads
    Many video gamers that have experience in micromanaging units have learned that unit hotkeys, often referred to as "squads", are extremely useful.

This is the idea that selecting one or more units then clicking CTRL+1 saves that unit to Squad 1, so that whenever the number 1 is pressed, it will select that unit or group of units again.

The same goes for CTRL+2, CTRL+3, and so forth. (Up to 10 different squads).

Clicking the squad number twice would cause the view to be centered on the squad. (If there are multiple units in the squad, each time the number is pressed, the view will center on a different member of the squad.)
  • Focus on Unit
    Squads shouldn't be the only way to get BRPG to center the view on selected units. There should be a hotkey for this.

Like I mentioned for squads, hitting this button repeatedly when multiple units are selected should cause it to center the view on different selected units in succession.
  • Select-Behind
    Currently there is no way to select a unit that is behind another without moving the overlapping unit.
    There should be a select-behind tool, perhaps accessed using a modifier key (such as CTRL, ALT, etc)

Similarly, there should be some way to see when one unit is behind another, so you don't lose track of them.
    Perhaps this could be done by toggling on and off transparency for the overlapping portions of the units, or by showing unit names on the top layer.
    Another suggestion was to have each click of the select-behind tool move a different image to the top of the pile. (Though this can currently be done with the unit manager).
  • Place Units on Top of Units
    Now that double-click controls unit placement instead of right-click, there is no reason not to be able to place units directly on top of other units.
  • Synchronize Units
    There should be some way to lock groupings of units together so that when one of them is selected, they are all automatically selected again.

The importance of this is that you could easily maintain relative distances between units.

I would suggest that the context menu item for this be "Sync", to distinguish it from the object locking feature.

-Example-

Troops moving in formation? No problem! Select them all and lock them together.

Fighter picks up an axe? No problem! Place an axe in his open hand, select them both, and lock them together.

Mage casts Mirror Image? No problem! Place the illusion nearby, select them both, and lock them together.

Dragon breathing a continuous stream of fire? No problem! Place the flames in front of his jaws, select them both, and lock them together. (Great way to do AoE!)
Last edited by Omnidon on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:00 pm

Excellent descriptive list Omnidon :D

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 am

-bump-

Poll reset.
(Mouse-dragging and Snap-to-Grid implemented.)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:59 pm

Omnidon,

This list could use updating, now that v1.0.4 covers many of the suggestions. Not sure if it's worth resetting the poll. I'll leave that to your discretion.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:44 pm

Yeah, though I won't always be updating it for beta versions, since people using the official version might get confused.

Also, I haven't gotten around to testing the new features yet, so I'll have to see if new suggestions crop up. I'll try to do that tonight if I can.

If everything goes smoothly then it's definitely worth restarting the poll. Multiple unit selection was the primary suggestion here, so I'll probably take the opportunity to reorganize the suggestions a bit. ;-)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:52 pm

-bump-

Poll reset.
"Unit Selection" and "Unit Settings" merged and many new suggestions added.

Astinus
Soldier

Post by Astinus » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:18 pm

Unit hotkeys for squads is a great idea. That could come before a shift-drag feature and account for that task and more.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Ah, knew I forgot something. Drag Select added to the list.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:46 am

Excellent additions :D