Tabbed Encounters / Multiple Maps

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If Tabbed Encounters are NOT added...

I will not use BRPG
13%
I will cry
34%
I'll grumble a bunch
38%
I'll be ok
16%
I would never use tabs anyway
No votes

Total votes: 32

Omnidon
Site Admin

Tabbed Encounters / Multiple Maps

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:26 pm

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3

This feature has been suggested quite often in various forms. In the most basic form, it is idea of having multiple encounters open at once.
-- Confirmed v2 feature
  • What do you mean "Tabbed"?
    If you use Firefox, hit CTRL+T
    That's a tab.

Tabs are basically the idea of having multiple windows open at once, one hidden behind the other, until you click the relevant button to switch them.

The term comes from hanging file folders; the label at the top is called a tab.
  • Multiple Encounters
    The advantages of having multiple encounters open at once should be fairly obvious. You could have the sewer map, the city map, and the world map open all at once. There are some less obvious benefits too however.

Some may not like this feature, so it should be optional.
  • Swap Units
    It should be possible to swap units between open encounters. (So you could, for example, copy the player character figures from the world map to the city map while keeping both open.)

Some measure would have to be taken to avoid duplicate names on units though.
  • Visible Sideboard
    Many people like to be able to preview the units they have stored on the sideboard. This was a difficult feature to tackle, until it was linked to the tabbed encounter idea.

Soon after the Tabbed Encounters feature is added, it will be possible to view the sideboard in a tab.

It also opens up the possibility of having multiple sideboards, filtered based on things such as which encounter they are for, or what type of unit they contain.
  • Document Tabs
    It should be possible to open web pages and text documents instead of an encounter in one of the tabs, for quick viewing and editing.
    While this could be accomplished by other means, such as Flash Integration, a built-in function would be best for the average user.
  • Chat Tab
    Would be nice to be able to embed the chat console in one of the tabs.
  • Movie Tabs
    The ability to open movie files and flash applications in their own tabs would be nice as well.
  • Tab View Locking
    The GM needs to be able to control which tabs are visible to the player, so he can keep attention on a plot scene or keep unready areas hidden.
  • File Browsing Tab
    It would be handy to have a tab that allows browsing of the hard drive in an "Explorer"-style directory tree.

This would enable users to leave the folders that they'll use most expanded in the tab for easy access to files.

There would be buttons or perhaps context menu items that would allow selected files to be used in BRPG. (Use for Figure... Use for Map... Use for Object... etc.)
  • Drag & Drop on Tabs
    There should be the ability to move things from one tab to another by dragging & dropping something from an open tab onto the tab button of a second tab.
Last edited by Omnidon on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:56 pm

Tabs would be an easy way to use a little space to make options visible available ... I like this :)

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:15 am

Oooo....

This sounds like a potential answer to something I stated under the chat poll...the ability to allow a group to split up without having to manage them all together, allowing them to see what was going on with other groups (even with a *good* group of role players, it can be tough for them to not adjust decisions if it looks like the party's gonna get killed!).

In browsers...I generally don't like tabbing, but if it can be (at least eventually) implemented in this way here I'm all for it! :D
--Tlichie

Pharaoh
Cannon Fodder

Post by Pharaoh » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:14 am

First, let me say bravo to the developers. This is my first post, but I plan to add my 2 cents worth (if it's worth that much) going forward.

Second, I would add that a tabbing system was the first idea that came to my mind. I want to open multiple maps and to be able to tab between them. 40 by 40 squares isn't enough for some of the encounters I run, and being able to move characters from one map to the next would be grand. Not sure what havoc that would cause in regards to system resources, but it gets a big thumbs up in my book. And, while we're talking about it . . . if we are going to do tabs, it would be nice to be able to drag your objects, tokens, and characters from one tab to another.

Once again, grand work in progress here. I don't have the licensed version yet, kinda holding out for some FoW improvements - I don't need Line of Sight necessarily, but masking and unmasking entire sections or rooms at once would be very helpful. But, that would be a comment for another section. Thanks again!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:31 am

Welcome, Pharaoh.

Thanks for the compliments. I myself am not sure what havoc multiple tabbed maps might wreak, in terms of RAM requirements. I can probably unload a map from RAM while it is not being displayed, but that will probably mean there will be a slight delay while switching from one tab to another, while the map gets reloaded.

You'll certainly be able to copy and paste units from one tab to another, just like you can do now with Encounters. How do you envision drag-and-drop working? Would units dragged from tab A just appear in the same relative locations in tab B? What if the map in tab B is smaller? Where would the units get placed?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:28 am

I would lean towards placing the units in the upper left corner if they're dragged into another tab, as long as their formation is maintained.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:07 pm

I could keep all unit placements as they were, but any unit which would be off-map on a new, smaller map would just be placed on the outer-most cell of that map border.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Pharaoh
Cannon Fodder

Post by Pharaoh » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:39 am

heruca wrote:You'll certainly be able to copy and paste units from one tab to another, just like you can do now with Encounters. How do you envision drag-and-drop working? Would units dragged from tab A just appear in the same relative locations in tab B? What if the map in tab B is smaller? Where would the units get placed?
I was envisioning a tab system that worked the way Outlook does when you drag an attachment from one e-mail to another. You grab the piece you want to move, move your cursor over the tab you want to drop it into, that map pops up to the forefront, and you drop the piece wherever you want it to go.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:52 am

Interesting idea.

Pharaoh
Cannon Fodder

Post by Pharaoh » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:05 pm

Groovy! I love it. I have to check out the new features here . . .

BaronOrchid

thought on tabbed encounters

Post by BaronOrchid » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been very interested about this application since I discovered it.

I think tabbed encounters would be an excellent addition but I feel that having the units drop relative would be awesome.

I'm picturing having a trap door so that when the user moves their unit over it, I can determine if the trap is thrown and have them automatically bumped over to the map below. mmmm.. evil