The Grid

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If the grid is not improved...

I will not use BRPG
No votes
I will not use the grid
No votes
I will cry like a baby
7%
I will wail in anguish
7%
I will wallow in misery
7%
I will gnash my teeth
27%
I will grumble a bunch
7%
I will be fine
47%
I would never use these features anyway
No votes
I would never use the grid anyway
No votes

Total votes: 15

Omnidon
Site Admin

The Grid

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:17 pm

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3

Though some people (including myself) prefer to play with the grid turned off, it is still a very important part of any VT.
  • Cell Size
    While the grid area can be resized, it would often be more convenient to be able to resize the cells. It would also allow for less graphical distortion.

Currently they are locked into 61x61, but it should be possible to specify the exact dimensions. This would also unlock the ability to have rectangle grids.

Note: Keep in mind that if you don't mind disabling the Snap-to-Grid feature, you can always import a custom grid of any specification.
  • Staggered Cells
    This is the idea that every other row is offset, like a brick wall, so that no cell is directly under another.
    Although more rare, this could also apply to columns.
  • Flash Grid
    As mentioned in the Filetype Support topic, it would be great to have the ability to use a Flash application (.swf) for a grid.

It could make a really neat numbered grid, as well as some even fancier grid effects.

Even without support for SWFs in the grid folder, users could of course use custom flash grids as normal overlays once Flash Integration is added.

A built-in flash grid would be even better though.
Last edited by Omnidon on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:38 am, edited 23 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:41 am

OK, I've just made square and hex grids in four new colors (red, brown, green, and blue), and I'm opening up the feature to allow for user-made grids, which can include numbered grids, grids with centerpoints, grids made of circles, or whatever else you can dream up.

The game engine will still use 61 pixels per grid for now, of course, and it can't handle staggered grids, triangle grids, or any of the other crazy stuff Omnidon is dreaming up to make my life miserable. :P

Expect a one or two day delay in RC2 being available (partly due to this last-minute feature-creep, and partly because it's my wife's birthday).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:29 am

Oooh happy birthday to her!

And sounds great ;-)
I certainly didn't expect results so quickly!

My wild ideas are here just to make sure you do everything that can be done; I don't expect the impossible. :D

(I'm content with the nearly impossible!) :twisted:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:15 am

-bump-

Poll restarted due to extensive changes.