Undo / Redo

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If Undo / Redo is NOT added...

I will not use BRPG
No votes
I will rarely use BRPG
5%
I will cry
14%
I'll grumble a bunch
50%
I'll be ok
23%
I would never want to Undo anyway
9%

Total votes: 22

Omnidon
Site Admin

Undo / Redo

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:32 am

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3

Fairly self-explanatory, it's a useful feature for us clumsy GMs...
It'll be especially useful when the drawing tools are implemented.
  • Undo
    This means allowing the last action to be cancelled with the press of a button (Usually CTRL+Z).

There would probably be some things that can't be undone.
  • Multiple Undo
    This means keeping a log of everything the GM does and allowing each press of the undo button to go one step farther back in time.
  • Redo
    It can be thought of as undoing an undo ;-)

It means keeping track of what has been undone and allowing it to be redone with the press of a button (Usually CTRL+Y or occasionally CTRL+SHIFT+Z)

Redo can normally only be used if the last action (or last many actions) was Undo.
    If you Undo a bunch of things, then do something else, you usually can't use Redo.
  • Cache
    Undo functionality usually causes a cache to be created that stores details of all that has been done and undone.

Example: If you draw a line and then Undo it, the program needs to remember the color, possition, and shape of that line in order for it to be possible to use Redo afterwards.

The user should be able to set the maximum size of this cache as well as the max number of previous actions that can be undone.
Last edited by Omnidon on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:00 am

For me this may be a necessity LOL

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:36 am

LOL me too!
--Tlichie

Jester
Soldier

Post by Jester » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:50 pm

You either need this or a movement/action log. I'd prefer the log myself. Most of the time you're undoing something because some player moved when he/she shouldn't have. ;)
Now Playing:
Role-Playing

Good v. Evil, GM, Custom Fantasy Setting (On-line)
Black Talons 05, Player, Heavy Gear 3E/2E Role-Playing (On-line)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:13 am

Jester wrote:Most of the time you're undoing something because some player moved when he/she shouldn't have. ;)
Well there will soon be a separate feature that let's the GM 'confirm' the movements of the player to avoid that problem.

Undo / Redo will be pretty important once the drawing tools & multiple unit selection are added.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:21 pm

I'm adding Undo and Redo to the next major release. The initial implementation won't have multiple Undo/Redo, but that can be added later on.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.