Broadcasting

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If Broadcasting is NOT added...

I will not use BRPG
No votes
I will not use BRPG online
No votes
I will cry like a baby
No votes
I will wail in anguish
10%
I will wallow in misery
No votes
I will grumble a bunch
14%
I will be fine
48%
I would never use broadcasting anyway
19%
I would never use BRPG online anyway
10%

Total votes: 21

Omnidon
Site Admin

Broadcasting

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3
  • What is Broadcasting?
    Broadcasting is the idea that BRPG can send connection information to a website.

The main advantage of this is the fact that the GM would not have to tell players the IP address of the game in advance.
    This is especially good for people whose IP addresses change frequently.
  • Game Listings
    It is often hard to find players for online games, so GMs often resort to advertising on community sites.

BRPG could send the game information (IP address, etc) to a server to then be displayed on a webpage.

This would allow potential players to search for and join public games, as well as helping past players find their private games.
  • Alias Hosting
    A more advanced application of broadcasting is the idea that something can be used in place of the host's IP address when joining a game.

There are 3 types of aliases: Webpages, Domain Names, and Usernames.
  • Webpage Alias
    This involves the ability for BRPG to accept a webpage URL in the place of an IP address when joining a game.

The player client would then detect the connection information that had been broadcast to the webpage by the GM.
  • Domain Name Alias
    This involves the ability for BRPG to accept a domain name in the place of an IP address when joining a game.

A domain name is the root of a website, like example.com
    Many GMs these days own their own domain names.

This works basically the same as a webpage alias, except that the player client would find the connection information on a page such as:
    http://www.example.com/brpg.php
    rather than the URL exactly as entered on the login screen.
  • Username Alias
    If a central server for BRPG broadcasting was set up, then a GM username could be used in place of the IP address.

The player client would automatically figure out where to look on the server for the connection information based on the username.
  • Banned IPs
    Protection against abnoxious internet trolls... :mrgreeninnocent:
    Hey! I didn't mean me!

Vital feature if people start broadcasting public games. This would also require the ability to find the IPs of current players.
  • Screenshot Upload
    The ability to capture and upload screenshots to a website automatically would be useful for game logging, advertising, and play-by-post games.
Last edited by Omnidon on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:45 am, edited 9 times in total.

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:02 pm

This sounds exactly what I was hoping for. I don't think it should be a top priority, but eventually I would like to see this implemented. I can see from the responses already it is not a popular thing, but that may be because not many people have used broadcasting. Those who have generally love it. For the person hosting a game with 3 long time real life friends it is unneeded, for those looking to develope games and expand their system it is essential. For those of us with websites already this feature alone could swing the balance as to which VT to purchase.
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com