Documentation

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If the documentation is NOT improved...

I will not use BRPG
No votes
I will not use the documentation
No votes
I will cry like a baby
No votes
I will wail in anguish
No votes
I will wallow in misery
7%
I will gnash my teeth
7%
I will grumble a bunch
27%
I will be fine
60%
I would never use these features anyway
No votes
I would never use the documentation anyway
No votes

Total votes: 15

Omnidon
Site Admin

Documentation

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:20 am

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3f

The latest version of the manual is always provided in the BRPG folder and can normally be downloaded separately from the website as well.

Note: The manual often is not up to date with the latest beta versions of the software and will not reflect current features. Refer to readme files and release notes for short-term updates.
  • Links & Tooltips
    A good method of delivering help as needed is to scatter links & tooltips throughout the software that describe how to use each feature on the relevant panel. This will help players avoid digging through the manual for one piece of information.
  • ReadMe
    Add a button to the menu that opens the readme from within BRPG.
  • Online User Manual
    There will eventually be an online version of the user manual as well.
  • Tutorials
    There will eventually be Flash movie tutorials available for learning and showing off the great features in BRPG.
  • Community Documentation
    There may eventually be an online wiki-style community for BRPG users to submit their own guides and tutorials for BPRG.
    This can certainly be done at this forum, but there are many advantages to a wiki interface.
  • Automatic Documentation Updating
    BRPG may eventually detect and update the documentation automatically.
    See Automatic Updates.
  • Learning Mode
    The most basic form of this functionality has already been implemented.
    This mode defaults to on when BRPG is first installed.

It will cause BRPG to provide useful tips and instructions to appear when exploring the many features of BRPG, to signficantly reduce the learning curve.
  • Inside BRPG
    It will eventually be possible to view and search the manual from within BRPG.
    See Tabbed Encounters.
Last edited by Omnidon on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 13 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Re: Documentation

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Omnidon wrote:User Manual
Add a button to the menu that opens the user manual from within BRPG.
Done, for v1.0.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:27 pm

I've now made it so that the first time BRPG is run on a given computer, the Help screen automatically pops up. I did this because of feedback I've received from people who never read the User Manual, and don't think to click on the BG button, or right-click the map.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:22 am

Good idea

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:12 pm

Omnidon wrote:Note that you should assume the documentation will always be updated to the latest version of BRPG for purposes of voting in the poll. Your vote should be based on the usability, accessibility, and expansiveness of the documentation.
My plan is to update the documentation at every major version number (e.g., v1.1, v1.2, v1.3, etc.).

If I have time, I may make addendums to the User Manual available as a separate, supplementary PDF. Ideally, these could be released halfway through each major version step (e.g., 1.0.5, 1.1.5), so that the available documentation never gets too far behind the software.
Omnidon wrote:
  • ReadMe
Is this really necessary/desired by most people? The ReadMe is usually something that you only refer to once or twice each time you install a new version. Cluttering up the BG menu with superfluous options should be avoided, IMO.
Omnidon wrote:[*]Navigating the User Manual
The table of contents in the PDF should be converted into anchor links to make it quicker and easier to look specific things up.
This was done in v1.0 and should be moved to your Completion List.
Omnidon wrote:[*]Disambiguation on "Save as Default"
When placing figures and objects, the "Save as Default" option currently updates all previous instances of that figure/object to reflect those settings rather than just using the settings for future placements.

This function should be renamed to "Apply to All".[/list]
This was just done in v1.0.4.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am

Omnidon wrote:ReadMe
Heruca wrote: Is this really necessary/desired by most people? The ReadMe is usually something that you only refer to once or twice each time you install a new version. Cluttering up the BG menu with superfluous options should be avoided, IMO.
My take... Keep the Readme outside the program. But...

Since it will eventually "be possible to view and search the manual from within BRPG" I think a new section should be added to the manual called something like "New Features and Updates since last Manual Update." Therein, all the latest ReadMe info should be available for each version of the program that has come out since the manual update.

This way the manual is sort of "up-to-date" and the "readme" is available within the program.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:40 pm

Heheh yeah, the reason I suggested adding the readme to the menu is because you keep expecting the bug testers to be up to date with all the changes, and yet it's a pain to get to the readme.

Most windows applications that have menubars can open the readme / release notes from the Help category.