Audio

A list maintained by Omnidon to provide a recap of all user-submitted feature requests for BRPG.

If more audio functionality is NOT added...

I will not use BRPG
6%
I will not use audio in BRPG
No votes
I will cry like a baby
6%
I will wail in anguish
6%
I will wallow in misery
6%
I will gnash my teeth
6%
I will grumble a bunch
19%
I will be fine
31%
I would never use these features anyway
19%
I would never use audio in BRPG anyway
No votes

Total votes: 16

Omnidon
Site Admin

Audio

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:20 am

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3

This thread covers the features that manage and enhance audio capabilities during a gaming session.

For a list of supported and unsupported audio filetypes, see Filetype Support.
  • Midi Support
    Ok, I lied. I'm going to mention one filetype here.

A midi file (.mid) is a music sequence that, in itself, contains no digital audio but instead links to the soundcard's local sound library and is therefore a very small file format.

Because both keyboard and virtual synthesizers can be used to make midis quickly and easily, it is easy to find tons of free midis on the internet or even make them yourself.

An example of a useful midi collection for roleplayers is vgmusic.com, which collects free midi versions of the music from all video games.

Unfortunately, because midis are not true digital audio, BRPG may not be able to play them without resorting to a Quicktime plugin.
  • Server-loaded Sounds
    BRPG currently supports the ability to load maps from a server, primarily to avoid bandwidth issues or problems with the peer-to-peer transfers.

Many sound files are large and would also benefit greatly from the ability to load them from a server.
  • Sound Objects
    It would be nice to be able to place sounds as objects on the map and have them only start playing when the GM unhides them.

A similar manifestation of this feature could be achieved with Flash Integration.
  • Localized Sound Effects
    A very exciting feature that has been discussed is the idea that, once a sound is placed on the map, it will get louder as the PC approaches or turns toward it.
    And of course, it should then be possible to set things like the distance at which objects can be heard.
  • Sound Mixer
    heruca wants to eventually add sound-mixing capabilities into BRPG so that users can manage and combine many sounds at once in real time.
  • What U Hear
    Until a built-in soundmixer is available, this may be a good way to do the same thing.

Someone suggested to add a feature to stream the sound coming out of the GM's speakers directly to the players in real-time, so that a 3rd party soundmixer could be used.

This feature (and ways to go about doing it manually) have been discussed here:
    http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=566